Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

How much Housing Benefit am i entitled to?

Recommended Posts

I am moving into a house soon and i am not sure how much housing benefit i am entitled to.


I have one child who will be living with me and I will be on income support.


I have heard about Local Housing Allowance but i'm not sure how it works.


The place i am moving into is £525 per month.


If someone can give me some advice that would be great.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you google Local housing allowance you'll get all the info you need.





If you are a private tenant renting property or room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

What is Local Housing Allowance


LHA is a new way of calculating Housing Benefit (HB) which is based on the area the you live, number of occupiers in the property and household size. LHA is a much fairer way of calculating HB, as it ensures that tenants in similar circumstances in the same area receive the same amount of financial support for their housing costs.

How do these changes affect those on Housing Benefit


If you are already on HB you will not be affected unless you change address and move into accommodation rented from a private landlord then you will be moved onto LHA.

How is Local Housing Allowance calculated


The LHA rates are calculated for individual areas, known as Broad Market Rental Areas, each month. The amount payable will be based on the 'middle of the range' rental figure for the area, which the property is in and will take account of the size of the property.


Basing the LHA on the middle of the range for a certain property size means that exactly half of the rental properties of that size in the area will be affordable within the LHA amount that you receive.

How much will you get


If the rent of the property you have negotiated with your landlord is lower than the LHA rate you will be able to keep any excess benefit upto a maximum of £15 per week. This excess will not normally be taken into account when deciding other benefits. If the rent is higher than the LHA rate you will be required to pay the difference or look for alternative accommodation within the LHA rates.


Entitlement to the LHA is means-tested and you will need to provide a valid tenancy agreement as proof.

How to claim


You can claim LHA as soon as you have a rent agreement with your landlord. Contact your local council as early as possible to discuss your claim. If you delay you could lose benefit.

How you are paid LHA


The payment will normally be made to you straight to your bank or building society account (if you have one) or by cheque. Payment is not normally made to your landlord.


If you do not already have a bank or building society account, you may want to set one up. That way you can arrange to pay the rent to your landlord automatically, using a standing order.


You can get advice about opening and running a bank account from any bank or building society. You can also get advice from organisation like Citizens Advice. There is also advice on bank accounts available.


* Bank accounts and banking products


It is up to you to pay the rent to your landlord. If you don't pay rent, you may be taken to court and evicted form the property.


If you are worried about managing your money, ask your local council if they can help you. In some cases they may be able to pay your benefit to your landlord.

Where are the rates published


Local Housing Allowance rates are published at the end of each month for the following month. For example, the April rates will be made available at the end of March. You can check these locally on your local council's website or by visiting the Local Housing Allowance Direct website.


* Local Housing Allowance Direct Opens new window

* A to Z of local councils


Changes of circumstance


If you are getting Housing Benefit and you move to a new address or other circumstances change, you should tell your local council straightaway. You may need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

Claiming Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance


If you claim Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance you will get forms to claim LHA with your claim pack. Complete and return the form with your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance claim form.


If you wish to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit in addition to the above benefits, Jobcentre Plus, The Pensions Service or the Disability and Carers Service will send the relevant forms to your local council. If you do not claim Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance you can get forms to claim LHA from your local council.

To get a LHA claim form contact your local council


* A to Z of local councils


More useful links

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a link on this page which shows you how much you will receive.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.