SPD have you had it? what happened?

Hi all

not posted for a while been tied up in more ways than one

here goes

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

it is a softening of the pelvic ligaments during pregnancy and can cause excessive pain and restrict movement.

This is something that my daughter has now had since week 28 and is now unable to walk at all (34 weeks). With little to no pain relief from the hospital she is now restricted to a wheelchair and can do very little for herself.

The reason for this post is to ask anyone if they have had it, how did they cope and any advice on pain relief would be fantastic.

(accupuncture dont work!)

thanks in advance

madmutt xx

I had spd, although I dont think mine was as sever as your daughters, I did end up on crutches though.

I was lucky and that mine went pretty much as soon as my daughter was born, some say it can take longer. I think mine was not helped by the fact that my daughters head was stuck in my pelvis.

Osteopathy helped me, so did reflexology (I think more for relaxation!)

her gp will be able to prescribe pain relief, I had codiene I think

if she needs someone to talk to get her to pm me :)

I had spd, although I dont think mine was as sever as your daughters, I did end up on crutches though.

I was lucky and that mine went pretty much as soon as my daughter was born, some say it can take longer. I think mine was not helped by the fact that my daughters head was stuck in my pelvis.

Osteopathy helped me, so did reflexology (I think more for relaxation!)

her gp will be able to prescribe pain relief, I had codiene I think

if she needs someone to talk to get her to pm me :)

Thank you Flutterbyes

The most they will give her is cocodamol and that is of no use at all.

She has tried accupuncture with no effect and is now desperate for anything that will work as it seems the only solution is to give birth and at 34 weeks its just too early

xx

I had it quite badly too, but not as bad as your daughter, I was on crutches from 22 weeks.

I was given some quite strong painkillers but nothing really helped tbh.

I was told that due to the condition I was not to open my knees more than 30cm when I was in labour!! They said if I did I could permanently damage my pelvis.

They refused to discuss a c-section, and when I was actually in labour they told me that I was to ignore that!!

It took about 6 weeks for the pain to go after my son was born and thankfully I had no problems after that.

it's a horrible thing to have and I feel for your daughter xx

I had it quite badly too, but not as bad as your daughter, I was on crutches from 22 weeks.

I was given some quite strong painkillers but nothing really helped tbh.

I was told that due to the condition I was not to open my knees more than 30cm when I was in labour!! They said if I did I could permanently damage my pelvis.

They refused to discuss a c-section, and when I was actually in labour they told me that I was to ignore that!!

It took about 6 weeks for the pain to go after my son was born and thankfully I had no problems after that.

it's a horrible thing to have and I feel for your daughter xx

Hiya

did you end up with a c-section?

i have seriously looked for a private obstetician but i cant find anyone that takes on private patients in south yorkshire. The closest i have found is blackpool which is no use at all.

The problem is also that she can not bend her back because the back of her pelvis has now locked in an odd position and has fixed her spine so there is now no chance at all of an epidural as planned

x

blinking heck!

get her to get onto her midwife, if she calls them every day to tell him how much agony she is in then they will have to do something, they will more than likely get her back in to see a consultant, if your not happy with what they are saying ask for a second opinion.

osteopathy could help with the locked pelvis, but im not an osteo!

the midwife wrote a note to me gp asking for caperic (which is codiene) he just gave me a prescription for codiene phosphate and then I could either take 1 or 2 depending on the amount of pain

has the midwife/consultant reffered her for physio???

I ended up with a section, but that was because baby was not coming out and I had grade 3 meconium and she was in distress.

I felt the pain more at night when i tried to rotate in bed. would wake up crying in agony. If I didnt move much during the day I was okish.

local taxi firms loved me!

sounds like she needs more help!

blinking heck!

get her to get onto her midwife, if she calls them every day to tell him how much agony she is in then they will have to do something, they will more than likely get her back in to see a consultant, if your not happy with what they are saying ask for a second opinion.

osteopathy could help with the locked pelvis, but im not an osteo!

the midwife wrote a note to me gp asking for caperic (which is codiene) he just gave me a prescription for codiene phosphate and then I could either take 1 or 2 depending on the amount of pain

has the midwife/consultant reffered her for physio???

I ended up with a section, but that was because baby was not coming out and I had grade 3 meconium and she was in distress.

I felt the pain more at night when i tried to rotate in bed. would wake up crying in agony. If I didnt move much during the day I was okish.

local taxi firms loved me!

sounds like she needs more help!

she's Been to physio they arranged acupuncture (which had no effect at all) and supplied crutches, but shes now beyond that stage.

the cocodamol which they gave her, Is codine mixed with something else but all that does is numb her head and cause nausea and they have said they can't give her anything stronger due to the fact shes pregnant.

Did your little one come early or was she on time?

once again thankyou for the reply x

My OH had this when carrying our daughter, although not to the extent of requiring crutches or wheelchair, we ended up getting her some sort of belt from a website that basically 'held her together' at the strategic point. It was a wide elasticated thing and really tight, not saying it was the most attractive thing in the world, but it did the job.

My OH had this when carrying our daughter, although not to the extent of requiring crutches or wheelchair, we ended up getting her some sort of belt from a website that basically 'held her together' at the strategic point. It was a wide elasticated thing and really tight, not saying it was the most attractive thing in the world, but it did the job.

Hiya

Physio gave her a femme brace which is the elastic thing you are talking about, it helped a little for the first week that they gave it to her but that was it!

She going to be on the phone again to the hospital today to get some answers and after all the posts she isnt a happy bunny so they better get ready for a tornado.

xx

I had these really bad when i was pregnant with my daughter. It got so i couldnt walk more than five minutes my hips and lower back kept clicking and grinding, i could lay down for too long or sit for too long or stand for too long.

Luckily it eased up a little bit wheni i soaked in the bath. Didnt feel spd pain during birth cause was so doped up.

I saw a physio but they said cause it had been left so long there was not much she could do. had asupport elastic band thing but i felt stuffy and claustrophobic in it ( it was very warm)

Midwife didnt help me much at all to be honest - i had to have my birth plan done during labour cause the midwife had failed to go through it with me.