Irresponsible Sheffield cyclist parents!

The answer is simple. If you know that people are using "these ludicrous child carriers", adjust your driving accordingly and you won't be a danger to them.

always do give a wide berth to these idiots but others may not, why put the kid in danger in the first place you are defending the indefensible in my opinion:loopy::loopy:

i think the biggest danger to kids out on the road is the mobile phone. i have seen many mothers letting the kids run about at the side of the road whilst they are busy on the phone, or motorist on the phone or messing with there sat navs. the best is mothers with prams pushing the prams into the road first without looking while on the ...... phone.

totally agree:thumbsup::thumbsup: and also cyclists running red lights

i think if you read your quote you will find it is research only ....!!! not a quote for insurance or even a hint that they insure these contraptions.

Ah so ignore properly conducted independant research and carry on ranting about how it is "clearly"(to you who has not performed or studied such research so is basing opinion on a personal feeling) unsafe - even when such research has been given to you to save you the effort of even having to go and look for it.

I never said it was a quote for insurance.

I pointed out that it was research from an insurance company, as opposed to research from a cycling lobby, therefore unlikely to be biased either way.

But..since you insist I go and find a policy...I don't actually need to! Should I pull a child trailer and be involved in an accident, my insurance policy covers the child as a "third party", meaning that a claim for damages could be brought against me by or on behalf of the child in the event of an accident.

So...I didn't have to look very far did I? The cost for this? Nothing - it's part and parcel of my CTC membership, at £36pa - much cheaper in fact than my motor insurance policy. So the "NONE" you shout about with double exclaimation marks for extra effect to your rant is another wild assumption with absolutely no grounding in fact.

There's a common theme appearing....

Edited by Squiggs

wrong again i travel to the far east regularly and see it all the time .......still doesnt make it safe though!! was in shanghai not long ago and have a pic of a whole family of 5 on a scooter, kids on the handlebars etc etc at least the drivers are used to it unlike Sheffield!!!!!

As an aside, I can Top Trump that (although no photo) - I've seen a family of 7 on a Honda m/cycle (small 110cc commuter type), in Karachi. 2 children on the tank, dad at the front of the seat or even on the tank also, 2 more kids, then mum with a baby on a sling behind her. In their defence, though, their all up weight was probably less that my weight.

Ah so ignore properly conducted independant research and carry on ranting about it is "clearly" (to you who has not performed or studied such research so is basing opinion on a personal feeling) unsafe - even when such research has been given to you to save you the effort of even having to go and look for it.

I never said it was a quote for insurance.

I pointed out that it was research from an insurance company, as opposed to research from a cycling lobby, therefore unlikely to be biased either way.

Anyway, should I pull a child trailer and be involved in an accident, my insurance policy covers the child as a "third party", meaning that a claim for damages could be brought against me by or on behalf of the child in the event of an accident.

So...I didn't have to look very far did I? So the "NONE" you shout about with double exclaimation marks for extra effect to your rant is another wild assumption with absolutely no grounding in fact.

There's a common theme appearing....

so which insurance policy do you have that covers the use of a trailer with a bike then? for injury or death of its passenger?

is this a new company or policy then? without quoting your policy prehaps you could point us in the direction of the company........am sure thats easy for you ....just a name will do we can source the rest!!!! enough exclamation marks for you??

so which insurance policy do you have that covers the use of a trailer with a bike then? for injury or death of its passenger?

is this a new company or policy then? without quoting your policy prehaps you could point us in the direction of the company........am sure thats easy for you ....just a name will do we can source the rest!!!! enough exclamation marks for you??

It's very easy - in fact while you were busy with your punctuation I already edited the post to clarify that. And the cost too, since it would be "too expensive"

Now, since people here are willing to back up their statements...someone asked you for the evidence that you are basing your statements on a while back. Have you managed to do so yet?

Edited by Squiggs

no hysterics just pointing out that it is clearly very dangerous and stupid to put a small child in a very flimsy carrier behind a bike.............its not rocket science is it, even the very smallest chance of a child being killed like this is unecessary any sane person can see these contraptions are barking!!!!!

We've seen the insurance company research saying that they are pretty safe but have you found us an example of an accident with a bicycle trailer to back up how clearly dangerous and stupid it is?

Just the one will do for now.

i have noticed recently quite a few cyclist parents in sheffield riding in heavy traffic with their little toddler attatched to a plastic seat on the back with a little brightly painted crash helmet! how much protection do they think that will give to their child in the event of an accident !!:loopy: i cant belive how little people regard a childs life! just to make an "eco" statement, even worse are the little trailers pulled behind at ground level! with nothing more than a little flag to warn drivers! these should be restricted to parks and private cycle tracks not roads! roads are for cars, lorries etc.

you really are clueless. I bet you drive a chelsea tractor. :rant:

We've seen the insurance company research saying that they are pretty safe but have you found us an example of an accident with a bicycle trailer to back up how clearly dangerous and stupid it is?

Just the one will do for now.

well if you need evidence as to how stupid it is then there really is no hope.

picture this then a HGV OR BUS OR EVEN A SMALL SMART CAR against a little flimsy alloy framed tent on wheels WHO WINS THAT COLLISION?? doh you numpty:loopy::loopy: really hope you havent got kids

you really are clueless. I bet you drive a chelsea tractor. :rant:

Na nice big beemer thanks, the chelsea tractor is for the missus:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

well if you need evidence as to how stupid it is then there really is no hope.

picture this then a HGV OR BUS OR EVEN A SMALL SMART CAR against a little flimsy alloy framed tent on wheels WHO WINS THAT COLLISION?? doh you numpty:loopy::loopy: really hope you havent got kids

I'm picturing it but I'd just like you to tell us when its actually happened.

totally agree:thumbsup::thumbsup: and also cyclists running red lights

I would say drivers running red lights are an even bigger danger