Lewis Wadsworth - Any opinions?

We've been renting through Lewis Wadsworth for the last 5 months and find them horrendous. Their atitude seems to be that they're doing us one big favour.

For example, yesterday I stayed in all day waiting for a property visit which never happened. I rung them today to tell them, and apparently the guy's appointments over-ran and he couldn't get to us.

I suggested a courtesy call to me might have been helpful but all I got was "our office closes at 5pm, we wouldn't have been able to tell you". No apology whatsoever. Every person I have delt with in their city centre office has a foul attitude with an excuse for everything.

I know I'm ranting but has anyone else experienced this kind of thing with them? Maybe I've just been fortunate to rent through decent letting agents before?

We're buying a house now and will, on principle, not look at a house on the market with Lewis Wadsworth.

Tossers!!

Having seen threads over the last few months about useless letting agents in Sheffield I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion there isn't one who does a decent job. I know people who've had bad experiences recently with Jolly's and Blundells. There's a business opening here for someone who takes the trouble to find out the relevant information about a property before they offer it for letting, reply to phone calls, even answer phone calls, keep appointments, and charge a justifiable fee for doing it. It doesn't seem too arduous a task does it? Must go now, the flying pigs need letting out.

we have recent experience with Lewis Wadsworth. we tried to buy a house that they were marketing and i have to agree... they do act as if they are doing their customers one huge favour. i found them generally unhelpful and the standard of service we received was below par.

we ended up withdrawing our offer because of all the messing about they put us though, it made us worry that any sale agreed would be unsafe i.e. gazumping. when we withdrew our offer they acted like they couldn't have cared less. they were so bad that had the vendor lived in the house we were wanting to buy, i would have gone round there and told them how appauling their estate agency was.

we are now buying through ELR and the level of service couldn't be higher, even though we are only purchasing a relatively cheap property :thumbsup:

letting agents are crap full stop. if you want to rent or rent your property use the paper or diy - much cheaper. they're scum and they know they are - use sites like the forum.

I've had a run in with Reeds Rains today actually. I'm just about to move house as the landlord is selling up and Reeds Rains want to come and show someone around the same day i am moving out.

I told them in a polite manner that there will be boxes lying around the place and the house will naturally be a bit of a mess but she sounded like she wanted me to move some other day so that the house could be spotless. Personally it just sounded selfish asking someone to put their life on hold like that. That's just my opinion though.

P.S. Don't get me started on Saxton Mee

We rented from Lewis Wadsworth, and they were crap too. They refused to give prospective tenants contact details in case they would not be able to make it, and so we had to cancel a few outings waiting for someone who would never turn up. At the end of the term, they came up with some crap about how the carpet was filthy, when we got industrial cleaners to come sort it out.................................................................

I have used Lewis Wadsworth in the past to find a tenant for my house. It hasn't had a tenant for 3 mths now and I have today told them that I am withdrawing it from them. They don't seem to be making an awful lot of effort to find me a tenant and I wouldn't recommend them.

Originally posted by DT77

We've been renting through Lewis Wadsworth for the last 5 months and find them horrendous. Their atitude seems to be that they're doing us one big favour.

We're buying a house now and will, on principle, not look at a house on the market with Lewis Wadsworth.

Tossers!!

Thanks for that information, we were going to view a place they have on offer....needless to say we wont be bothering now :thumbsup:

Perhaps I was being a little harsh on LW? The reason I say that is that, during this house buying experience, we're coming to the conclusion that all Sheffield agents are as bad as eachother!!

We really don't want to play this "best and finals" game - we've missed out twice - but wonder if it's just an evil necessity...

Our latest scenario is we saw a house early Sat evening and put in an offer on Mon morning. Bearing in mind that the vendors had told us they were very keen to sell and had had good but unproceedable offers, how they liked our position of being in rented on a month to month basis now, knowing that we have all our finances in place, it was somewhat surprising to be told by their agent on Monday morning that they were considering an undisclosable cash offer way above the asking price.

This happened all since Sat evening? Call me suspicious, but...

Anyway, just about to ring the agent to see if this cash bid has been accepted. If not our intention is to get another viewing and talk turkey with the vendors face to face.

AM I PARANOID?!?!?

Thanku Dt for highlighting this problem as i thought it was just me who receieved this horrendus service, in a funny way im relieved but feel what you are going through....read on!!!

I have rented form Lewis wadsworth for 1 year now, I am happy with the house I live in but DESPISE paying them the money due to endless problems and an attitude that makes me wonder how come they arn't reported for bad service.

In my first 6 months of living in the haouse they tried to up the rent by £25.

I then had a problem with my boiler - i reported it, the next day no phonecall as promised, I rang again and had TO ARGUE with the girl as she kept saying 'you havnt reported it, its not here'

I then witheld my rent for 2 months to get this problem sorted out.

I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH LEWIS WADSWORTH, they want to check my house every three months - i dont mind but other letting agents have never done this.

My privacy feels invaded and when i need them they arnt there!!

They will not let me share the tenancy and all this from Lewis Wadsworth makes me want to leave the house as I cannot cope with them any longer.

Pity My landlord only gets around £410 out of the £500 I pay - £90 a month Lewis wadsworth gets for the COWBOY service I receive.

I have now had to BEG my landlord to go with another letting agent...or i just cannot live here any longer.

My overall advice is.........STAY AWAY FROM LEWIS WADSWORTH as their image and new letterheads are all they are bothered about!!

a very unhappy tenant!!:( :( :(

I am surprised you are not aware that they have gone into recievership.