Lewis Wadsworth - Any opinions?

I remember trying to book a viewing for a house they were advertising a while back, i was between jobs and due to start a new one the following week. However, they did not let me even book a viewing as i was unable to provide a work contact number!

I have since found that they charge for supplying a reference when you leave... they will not even provide a verbal ref until you have paid the fee of £25.

I know they are closing offices so maybe why the bad communication.I recently rented my flat through winkworth who were very good,even fixing a really bad leak for me while i was away even though i was on tenant find only.They also got me two quotes so i had a choice of plumber

I know they are closing offices so maybe why the bad communication.I recently rented my flat through winkworth who were very good,even fixing a really bad leak for me while i was away even though i was on tenant find only.They also got me two quotes so i had a choice of plumber

Hang on a minute, i thought you worked for Winkworths? http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=402533

We are one of Sheffields largest estate agencys and we are looking for a number of highly motivated people looking to work hard and forge a career in this rewarding industry...... contact Rachael on 01142630912 or 01142831222

This is the phone number for the branch of Winkworths on Ringinglow Road.

Edited by Charlotte_24

i do and i have rented my flat via the lettings department, they were extremely proactive with the leak.

your point was?

My point is that your above post read as if it were an impartial reccommendation, when it isn't.

who said i was not impartial.I am not a brainwashed idiot. I have worked for many agents and i have never ever worked in lettings, although i have used four lettings companies...each time recieving a poor service,no feedback and generally an apathy towards me. I generally regard lettings agents as less than pro active due to the nature of how they get business. I am entitled to my opinion as its fact and may be useful to someone else.

I have been renting from Lewis wadsworth almost 3 years...i found this place when i was pretty desperate and only had few wks to find somewhere for kids and i. 

Big mistake. 

They are slow to fix repairs and i'm talking months of waiting...including things like faulty boiler..leaving me and my kids freezing at times this winter..  mould coming up from a damp and disgusting basement.. shoddy workmanship when it comes to wall/ bathroom fittings.. dirty worn carpets.. old as hell windows.. that seem like theyre gonna break if you open them. 

Recently a piece of ceiling plaster fell in my daughters room and along with it was a tool sharpener (similiar to whats used to sharpen knives). Told them about it. Took them 4 mths to repair the plaster and didnt even blink an eyelid when i told them about the sharpener thingy.

Theres no effort for the landlord or the agents to keep their houses well maintained.. safe or warm but they wanna do inspections every 2/3mths to make sure i do? 

I also recently found out that although this house has a loft conversion done.. it did not get planning nor building reg approval for.  Im guessing this has made it tricky for the landlord to sell..and so figured it would be easier to rent it out to someone gullible and as desperate as i was. 

Im waiting for a council house..and searching for another rental.. thing is..with the way they behave i suspect im gonna loose some of my bond maybe all.  Rental companies/landlords need better regulation in my opinion. 

Dont rent for LW if u can help it.

Always be aware that the Letting Agent (LA) is just that- not an owner and therefore not your landlord (L).

Its client is L who might have restricted LA's freedom of action. If you're dissatisfied, your rights are against L.

Whom does the Letting Agreement name as L?

You could verify the name/address via HM Land Registry for just £3, using https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

On 07/04/2009 at 19:07, boofnah said:

I am entitled to my opinion as its fact and may be useful to someone else.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Your opinion, in itself, is definitely not a fact.

Your opinion, or the facts, may definitely be useful to someone else.

But you seem to think your opinion is fact, which is isn't... it's an opinion, as you rightfully say... opinions can be based on facts. What I think was questioned by someone else was whether your opinion was expressly intended to mislead others. I am sure it was not... however, now everything is out there it almost feels like your opinion is worth just that little bit less.

Everyone should remember, as a Tenant, an Agent is not their Agent... they're not on your side. Yes, you are paying them... in fees (soon to change) and your rent often will go to them (not the actual Landlord) but that never means they're your Agent, they work for the Landlord - the Landlord is their client and the Tenant is not. The Agent will (or should) look after the interests of the Landlord only. There are bad Agents who are only interested in getting as much money from both sides as possible. In future this should only be transparently from the Landlord's side... however, it's likely that will be recouped. I am firmly of the opinion that Tenants should size-up their Landlord at viewings if at all possible - look for properties advertised by Agents like UPad (which will be Landlord-managed)... there are bad Landlords obviously, but Tenants shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking that because an Agent is in the mix the whole thing is going to be run more professionally, more smoothly.

Edited by Hippogriff