Firth park grammar school

I was at the Red Caps in 45 & 46 are there any copies of the school photos of pupils in existence. The photos used to be taken on the sports ground across the road.

Back in 1996 when the school celebrated its 75th Anniversary many of the School photographs were displayed on the main corridors. I understood that all the items would be in the safekeeping of the Fircroft School at Shiregreen so there should be quite a good archive there, perhaps someone could verify if this is still the case?

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 01:10 ----------

Hi, I just wondered if anyone knew my dad Peter R Perrett who attended firth park grammer school during late 40,s early 50's, he has recently passed away and wondered if anyone had any school photo's with him on, thankyou.

When I read your post it reminded me of Spike Johnson and the Scouts so do you know if your Dad was in either the BP or Rowallen troop ? The name is familiar though I cannot picture him at this stage.

Back in 1996 when the school celebrated its 75th Anniversary many of the School photographs were displayed on the main corridors. I understood that all the items would be in the safekeeping of the Fircroft School at Shiregreen so there should be quite a good archive there, perhaps someone could verify if this is still the case?

---------- Post added 21-09-2016 at 01:10 ----------

When I read your post it reminded me of Spike Johnson and the Scouts so do you know if your Dad was in either the BP or Rowallen troop ? The name is familiar though I cannot picture him at this stage.

Hi, I do not know which troop he was in but I will try and find out, thanks for your message

On 04/02/2015 at 01:43, Allen said:

http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com/

Sadly it doesn't look as though Steve has done any work on the "new" site since it's conception in 2012.

Broken links, pictures not loading...404 not found ...etc.

Such a shame after all the work spent on the original site.

The http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com/  site is no longer available. When accessing it you now receive the message 'The authors have deleted this site'.

A pity as it had loads of photographs about Firth Park Grammar. I was there 1959 - 67, - 1H, 2M, 3M, 4M, 5Q then Sixth form.

When in the 6th form I was Corporal Hill in the school play, Wesker's 'Chips With Everything' and in the Upper 6th I was the stage manager. After leaving I did a year as a labourer in Firth Brown's Norfolk bar rolling mill, later their Heavy Machine shop, subsequently their Vacuum Arc furnaces, then went to university, teacher training college (maths & IT), joined DHSS Longbenton as Tech Admin Sysprog, polytechnic for professional society exams, became an IT contractor in UK & South Africa at some fifteen companies, finishing up with a Swiss private bank in Zurich.  

On 26/04/2019 at 22:12, JohnB_Zurich said:

The http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com/  site is no longer available. When accessing it you now receive the message 'The authors have deleted this site'.

A pity as it had loads of photographs about Firth Park Grammar. I was there 1959 - 67, - 1H, 2M, 3M, 4M, 5Q then Sixth form.

An old friend of mine, Max Cooke was there until about 1961 I think. Probably 3 years older than you so you may not have known him.

I was there 1959-67.  Since then lived/worked in Newcastle/Tyne, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, Perth (Scotland), Edinburgh, Croydon, York, Plymouth, Northampton, London, Liverpool, Zurich, Colchester, Wivenhoe, Derby, Birkenhead, Southport, Johannesburg, Kendal, Hoylake.

On 09/06/2009 at 17:58, algy said:

1957 to 1964. I remember Nellie Brooke, Daz Smith, Nebby Parker, Chaz Holmes, 'Daddy' Machin, who was always 'slinging Johnnies over the road', Hefty Wood, wee Jock McKay, Jammy Moorhouse, Fritz Shaddock, Joe Eaker, Spike Johnson, Stan Cook, The Duke, and of course Wilson, the Head. A mixed bunch, some were OK, others not so, and the worst was Wilson.

I met Joe a few years after I left. He had a daughter who was a concert pianist and she gave concerts in prisons.

My Missus taught Stan Cook's grandchildren, and apparently he had a book of children's poetry published.

Wow! These are names foor which I have good memories. I was at FGGS from 1953 until 1960 ish. I look back now (having just turned 80) and still thank these guys for their contribution to my learning. I didn't go on to university but did eventually graduate at Sheffield Uni many years later and after retirement started to 'do' History which led to a BA and MA at Lincoln. Rod Sttong.

Wasn’t Jock McKay known as slasher?

1 hour ago, ukdobby said:

Wasn’t Jock McKay known as slasher?

Can't remember that.

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Can't remember that.

Just a thought I may be wrong.

I cannot remember Mr Mackay being called anything other than "Jock"  however after so many years one's memories can be somewhat clouded.  I do recall faking a note to be excused from PE as  I was supposedly under the weather. I really wanted to listen to the test match on my trannie. In my youth trannie meant transistor radio but nowadays means something entirely different.  After being excused I rather stupidly sprinted away and Jock summoned me back with the comment , " There's nothing wrong wi you laddie. Get your PE kit on. "   Slasher was the nickname for Ken Mackay an Aussie cricketer.