Firth park grammar school

I attended Firth Park Grammar from 1956 until 1963, and I look back on my time there with affection.the teaching staff were first class and cared passionately about us,.My particular favourites were Doc Eker aka joe plug,Alan Hayward aka boris, Dr F T Wood (hefty)Geoff Parker (nebby)and of course Mr Wetherill, the duke, well known for tapping loudly on his window with a yale key if he spotted you running rather than walking across the quadrangle.For the first year or two the head was Dr Chapman a delightful quietly spoken gentleman who commanded and received your respect;Icannot say the same for his successor who always reminded me of a prize fighter.!

You may have known my brother Alan Rowley--he was a couple of years ahead of me --I went 1960 to 65--The Head I remember was Mr Wilson--can't remember his first name but strangely I do remember he drove an old Saab 90 !!!

John Henry Sylvester Wilson if I remember rightly.

I knew a guy called Max Cooke who I think attended FPGS from 1956 to 1962.

I was there from 61 to 66 and one of my lasting memories is of trying to get out out of the staff doors (which were strictly forbidden and out of bounds!) to get to the bus queue before everyone else - and of the usual fight to get on the bus ☺

Almost always I got caught by Wilson and eventually detention followed by the dreaded cane for continued trying.

You may have known my brother Alan Rowley--he was a couple of years ahead of me --I went 1960 to 65--The Head I remember was Mr Wilson--can't remember his first name but strangely I do remember he drove an old Saab 90 !!!

Do you know Robin Garside?

Probably two years later than you

http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com/

Sadly it doesn't look as though Steve has done any work on the "new" site since it's conception in 2012.

Broken links, pictures not loading...404 not found ...etc.

Such a shame after all the work spent on the original site.

It's been a while since I logged in to this site (2009!). I read Allen's posts in 2013 and 2015 about the hacking and ruination of Steve James FPGS.website. I hope he can eventually renew it. I wrote to Steve many years ago concerning the 1949

pupil intake. I was listed there as deceased in 1960? Steve said he was traveling abroad and couldn't change it. The current version of his site still lists me as dead for the last 56 years! In 2016 I'm now 79, playing tennis singles twice weekly and looking forward to my second marriage in August. I live in Reno, Nevada and have been in the States since 1965. I still fondly remember playing Sunday pick-up soccer in Concord Park and quaffing pints at the Wharncliffe in Firth Park afterwards.

Edited by argon
typos

Hi argon, good to see your 2nd! post, hope you will be able to add some more as in the past day over 70 people have visited this thread which augurs well for increased activity for this topic. Although time is relentlessly depleting our numbers and the malicious sabotage of Steve James's sterling work so discouraging, it is on the plus side that former pupils continue to support the recognition of a fine school by their reminiscences in forums like this.

Don't wait another 7 years to post again!;)

Edited by Voldy
typo

It's been a while since I logged in to this site (2009!). I read Allen's posts in 2013 and 2015 about the hacking and ruination of Steve James FPGS.website. I hope he can eventually renew it. I wrote to Steve many years ago concerning the 1949

pupil intake. I was listed there as deceased in 1960? Steve said he was traveling abroad and couldn't change it. The current version of his site still lists me as dead for the last 56 years! In 2016 I'm now 79, playing tennis singles twice weekly and looking forward to my second marriage in August. I live in Reno, Nevada and have been in the States since 1965. I still fondly remember playing Sunday pick-up soccer in Concord Park and quaffing pints at the Wharncliffe in Firth Park afterwards.

Well you're in the right place if things don't work out. :)

Well you're in the right place if things don't work out. :)

LOL Jim, you are so baaad!

Hi, I just wondered if anyone knew my dad Peter R Perrett who attended firth park grammer school during late 40,s early 50's, he has recently passed away and wondered if anyone had any school photo's with him on, thankyou.