Firth park grammar school

Thank you

Jonpax, do you know if the pupils who going to be setting the GCE in 1951 would taken HSC Subsidiary subjects in preparation for the GCEs the next year?

harvey.....some names their I remember from 1962/1967.

Wetherall was still deputy head.

Jock Mckay... P.E.and Maths if I remember correctly.

Mr paget...woodwork.

Queering your Mr T. C. Woods. (English)

In my time it was Dr. F. T. Wood......a well educated man.

I remember someone defaced his name on the door to his room to read "Dr. I. F. T. Wood" (driftwood, lol)..The name kind of stuck as a nickname.

Hi Allen, you are correct it was Dr. F.T. Wood a real gentleman.

Mr. Holmes - Physics

Mr. Sutcliffe - Maths

Bod - Maths

Up Kings !

I was at Firth Park Grammar in 44 I only stayed for two years. In 45 when there was a general election we had one at school, the Labour party won.

Does anyone have any information about Peter Mason who was in the same class (5B) as I was at Firth Park Grammar School and left in 1949. I then met Peter again, after I left the RAF in1954, and we were in the dust research section at the Safety in Mines Research Establishment on Potobello Street in Sheffield. I would like any information about Peter as looking back on my life I remember what a good bloke he was. Our section leader (boss) was Dai O`Connor a Welshman, who I had a great respect for and liked. I also remember a Steve Howarth who was in a different section and was a decent photographer and a hill climber I remember he had a Leica.He also was taking up the clarinet when I was there.In our dust research section was Doug Tye, another nice bloke, who at the time was studying for his Bsc degree. I lost contact with them all. I hope they have had a decent life, as I have fond memories of being with them, before I left and joine the BBC as an engineer.

Edited by Mr Jelly
Additional information

http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com

is the new address for the FPGS website.

Steve James must be applauded for the time and effort he has and is continuing to put into this website.

I believe the previous website was subject to numerous hacking attempts and it will take him some time to get it back to how it was.

I was there between 1979 and 1983.

My daughter also went there too but it has changed a lot since i went!

I was there between 1979 and 1983.

My daughter also went there too but it has changed a lot since i went!

It was an all boys school !!!

When i went there it was called Brushes (If i've got the right place) and we spent half our time at Brushes and the other half at Firth Park school on Bellhouse road.

It was mixed sex when i was there.

When i went there it was called Brushes (If i've got the right place) and we spent half our time at Brushes and the other half at Firth Park school on Bellhouse road.

That's correct in later years.

This thread is about the years when it was a Grammar School for boys.

Use the search facility and you'll find there is another thread about the later years when it became a comprehensive.

This thread is about Firth Park Grammar School, not what it became later.

There is another thread about the comprehensive school.

If anyone has any school photographs from the late 1930s, showing Leonard cotton (born 1921) who was a pupil at the school at that time, please link them to here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=367634&highlight=leonard+cotton

Thanks

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 22:59 ----------

Leonard Cotton, who is commemorated on the school war memorial; completed five missions before (we believe) being shot down in the target area of Hanover on his 6th, on the night of 22nd/23rd Sept 1943. He was the navigator.

The crews’ five previously completed missions were to

1 Nuremburg, Aug 27th/28th 1943

2 Moenchengladbach (or Munchin Gladbach as the squadron operational record book refers to it), Aug 30th/31st 1943

3 Berlin Aug 31st/Sept 1st

4 Mannheim Sept 5th/6th

5 Munich Sept 6th/7th 1943

He has no known grave. There are four graves in the Hanover CWGC of unidentified airmen lost that night , which are almost certainly members of his crew, because all other crews lost that night can be accounted for elsewhere.

But the authorities refuse to reopen any investigation to identify them.

428 Squadron was officially named the Ghost squadron in October 1943, because of the appalling loss of crews since its inception four months previously.

A brave man, who I sadly never got chance to know.

Edited by geocol