Firth park grammar school

This thread has got me thinking about my old school pals and have decided to publicly give out my personal award for Old Firparnian.

Unfortunately some of the choices haven't made it to pole position.

I have had to ignore, the itinerant in the city centre inanely grinning all the time, the bouncer at Josephines and Tiffanies who used to let me in for free, the landlord of the UK mainlands most northerly pub, the milkman of the year, and some who for legal reasons I couldn't begin to mention on line.

I have decided the award clearly goes to the two brothers who became bricklayers who built a huge garden wall for another old boy and managed to lay half the bricks upside down. one of whom then went on to manage a tiny pub near Nottingham where he was landlord, cellarman, pot washer,cleaner and bouncer. Unfortunately he took his bouncing duties too seriously when ejecting a drunken women managed to trap her arm in the door lost his licence and got a fine.

He then moved to Salford and to my mind crowned his career by appearing on TV in a "Life of Grime" on TV as the dog catcher who couldn't catch the dog and had to be helped out by his young female supervisor.

Have any ex pupils got any additional nominations

Think I only know the grinning itinerant - is he the one that collects cans? Can't remember his name but he was in my year..

I lost touch with everyone else though, but strangely ended up as a civil sevant and now work with another OF.

Think I only know the grinning itinerant - is he the one that collects cans? Can't remember his name but he was in my year..

I lost touch with everyone else though, but strangely ended up as a civil sevant and now work with another OF.

the can collector was actually quite clever at school,he also managed a menswear on fargate b4 he was a collector.he had girlie nickname i think??he was also bullied quite a lot at school.

This thread has got me thinking about my old school pals and have decided to publicly give out my personal award for Old Firparnian.

Unfortunately some of the choices haven't made it to pole position.

I have had to ignore, the itinerant in the city centre inanely grinning all the time, the bouncer at Josephines and Tiffanies who used to let me in for free, the landlord of the UK mainlands most northerly pub, the milkman of the year, and some who for legal reasons I couldn't begin to mention on line.

I have decided the award clearly goes to the two brothers who became bricklayers who built a huge garden wall for another old boy and managed to lay half the bricks upside down. one of whom then went on to manage a tiny pub near Nottingham where he was landlord, cellarman, pot washer,cleaner and bouncer. Unfortunately he took his bouncing duties too seriously when ejecting a drunken women managed to trap her arm in the door lost his licence and got a fine.

He then moved to Salford and to my mind crowned his career by appearing on TV in a "Life of Grime" on TV as the dog catcher who couldn't catch the dog and had to be helped out by his young female supervisor.

Have any ex pupils got any additional nominations

just wondering who the doorman was at josies for obvious reasons ??!!

the can collector was actually quite clever at school,he also managed a menswear on fargate b4 he was a collector.he had girlie nickname i think??he was also bullied quite a lot at school.

Yes, I remember it was a girlie name, but can't remember what it was...

I know there are other threads, but did anyone go there in these years when HJS Wilson was head?

my husband martin harrington was a red cap until 1962.

Hope there are people out there who remember him.

my husband martin harrington was a red cap until 1962.

Hope there are people out there who remember him.

I don't remember him, he was older than me, and I'd almost forgotten we were called Red Caps. Horrible things that got you lines from the prefects if you dared to walk out of the gates not wearing one till the end of the second year:mad:

West Street and Attercliffe dole offices in the early mid seventies were hotbeds of old boys, and a jolly good time was had by all.

The itinerant was in the year above me, ....this is where we show our ages...think early Coronation Street, corner shop owner.

West Street and Attercliffe dole offices in the early mid seventies were hotbeds of old boys, and a jolly good time was had by all.

The itinerant was in the year above me, ....this is where we show our ages...think early Coronation Street, corner shop owner.

Nope. Can't think of it. Or was it Fl*****??? (Yes, I've remembered his name now)

Do you remember the lad who played the mother of jesus in the school play? I remember everybody thought it was a girl. And the name stuck with him all through school. Even when, as I'm told, he became head boy.

And what about the ballroom dancing classes in the hall?:rolleyes:

Edited by Gormenghast

And what about the ballroom dancing classes in the hall?:rolleyes:

Eh???

What year was that then?

The only lesson I had in the hall was how to box.

Jock McKay broke up a fight in the school yard, and ordered the pair of us to present ourselves in the Gym the following lunchtime.

Shorts and Boxing gloves were donned...and he was the referee, whilst the balcony was full of lads watching.

Eh???

What year was that then?

QUOTE]

It must have been 64 or 65. Sixth form only. I'm sure they bussed girls from a girl's school in to dance with them. Or is my memory really shot?

Eh???

What year was that then?

QUOTE]

It must have been 64 or 65. Sixth form only. I'm sure they bussed girls from a girl's school in to dance with them. Or is my memory really shot?

I'd have said 63 or 64, and I think the girls were from Grange Grammar.