Firth park grammar school

If anyone has any school photographs from the late 1930s, showing Leonard cotton (born 1921) who was a pupil at the school at that time, please link them to here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=367634&highlight=leonard+cotton

Thanks

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 22:59 ----------

Leonard Cotton, who is commemorated on the school war memorial; completed five missions before (we believe) being shot down in the target area of Hanover on his 6th, on the night of 22nd/23rd Sept 1943. He was the navigator.

The crews’ five previously completed missions were to

1 Nuremburg, Aug 27th/28th 1943

2 Moenchengladbach (or Munchin Gladbach as the squadron operational record book refers to it), Aug 30th/31st 1943

3 Berlin Aug 31st/Sept 1st

4 Mannheim Sept 5th/6th

5 Munich Sept 6th/7th 1943

He has no known grave. There are four graves in the Hanover CWGC of unidentified airmen lost that night , which are almost certainly members of his crew, because all other crews lost that night can be accounted for elsewhere.

But the authorities refuse to reopen any investigation to identify them.

428 Squadron was officially named the Ghost squadron in October 1943, because of the appalling loss of crews since its inception four months previously.

A brave man, who I sadly never got chance to know.

My Friends attended FPG in 1962, It would be great to catch up so if anyone knows the whereabouts of David Spencer, John Lewis, Geof Cook, Les Nicholson maybe you could ask them to get in touch with me (Alan Fergus)

http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com

is the new address for the FPGS website.

Steve James must be applauded for the time and effort he has and is continuing to put into this website.

I believe the previous website was subject to numerous hacking attempts and it will take him some time to get it back to how it was.

Shame about the old site being hacked.

Just looked at the new site and lots of work needed to restore to the informative site it once was.

I lent Steve my copies of the "Firparnian" ..the school magazine from the years 1962/1967 and he used much of the content on the site.

Thankfully he returned them...although I did have to ask for their return some two years after the loan.

Looking forward to seeing the new site more functional.

my brother FRED CALLAGHAN went to firth park grammar school 1944-1949 do any of you old pupals remember him he is 79 years old now

My Friends attended FPG in 1962, It would be great to catch up so if anyone knows the whereabouts of David Spencer, John Lewis, Geof Cook, Les Nicholson maybe you could ask them to get in touch with me (Alan Fergus)

I also started at FPGS in 1962 & remember the 4 names above. But no knowledge of what became of them. But there is a website:

http://firthparkgrammarschool.wordpress.com/

which has photos of various form classes (on the home page under 'forms' I think) and there is one for Form 5A 1966/67 which includes Geoff Cook and John Lewis on the front row - I'm also on the front row.

DY

!Do you know our Mr Moke

Grand old chapter can take a joke

Her he comes down Barnsley Road

Riding in a donkey

Hey ho. away we go

Donkey riding. Donkey riding

Hey ho away we go

Riding on a donkey. chorus.

Do you know our Mr Spike

Took his boy scouts for a hike

See them coming. back to school

Riding on a don key

Hey ho etc

---------- Post added 28-09-2013 at 23:15 ----------

my brother FRED CALLAGHAN went to firth park grammar school 1944-1949 do any of you old pupals remember him he is 79 years old now
len staniforth 1c 1945 in Fred,s class in the music room

---------- Post added 28-09-2013 at 23:19 ----------

Have a photo of 1c. Lentils

---------- Post added 28-09-2013 at 23:24 ----------

I was at Firth Park Grammar in 44 I only stayed for two years. In 45 when there was a general election we had one at school, the Labour party won.

Were you in 1c and at Carbrook CofE and want off to London in 46???

Les Nicholson ran Broad Oaks motor spares on Staniforth Road , Attercliffe. I recognised him immediately when I called in as he had hardly altered. Sadly the shop has gone in the last 10years and I haven't seen him since.

I was at FPGS from 1959 to 1964 and never experienced any bad behaviour by teachers.

Discipline was maintained and punishments for misbehaviour were given fairly.

I was not a model pupil and suffered punishments as a result of my actions and behaviour but they were all awarded without prejudice.

In my experience all pupils were treated the same regardless of their social background.There were plenty of pupils from working class backgrounds.

Up Kings.

I was there 66 to 71,overall it was a good time,some bad times but that's life.

Mr Wilson was Head when I started,other teachers were Pod Harrison,Spike Johnson,Mr jones for French,Mr Pashkey for Maths.

Other pupils I remember Mick Gill,Alan Woodhouse,Steven Pacey,Ian Stringer,Phil Drabble.

We had 2 girls in one of our classes in either the 4th or 5 th year foe Geography if I recall correctly

Hi anyone from the 1976 to79 era graham biggins

the worst was ******.

QUOTE]

Yes indeed.

I remember all of these people Algy. Some 'proper' teachers, and some not so.

And I remember the horrible black and blue bruises on people that were inflicted on them with his range of canes. What would happen if that went on today?

Pupils I knew were Steve Rowley, Peter Hunt, Mick Parkin, Anthony Hawke, Melvyn Smith, John Pilley, Derek Sunderland, John Thompson, Dennis Longden, Evander Eugene Bramhall, Terry Reid amongst others.

And the school photos are priceless. If you download them and look at them with windows picture viewer you can increase the size and probably pick out people you knew.

Do look at the site, it's full of information.

Cheers

GG.

My brother has just pointed this out to me. I remember most of these guys but can't work out who you are. Could you pm me your name etc please?

Regards, Steve Rowley.

I attended Firth Park Grammar from 1956 until 1963, and I look back on my time there with affection.the teaching staff were first class and cared passionately about us,.My particular favourites were Doc Eker aka joe plug,Alan Hayward aka boris, Dr F T Wood (hefty)Geoff Parker (nebby)and of course Mr Wetherill, the duke, well known for tapping loudly on his window with a yale key if he spotted you running rather than walking across the quadrangle.For the first year or two the head was Dr Chapman a delightful quietly spoken gentleman who commanded and received your respect;Icannot say the same for his successor who always reminded me of a prize fighter.!