Which flea treatment do you use?

Our puppy is now 5 months old and we need to get it a regular course of flea treatment. Which do you use/recommend?

The vets initially gave us Frontline for his first course, but now he is due for the next lot. Is it best to carry on with this?

Thanks for any help and advice.

I have always used Frontline for my animals with no problems - sometimes it's best to stick to what is working for you.

I have used frontline & advantage in the past. I now use Advocate, as it not only covers them for fleas, but some internal parasites such as lung worm and heart worm too, which can be fatal. It's a bit more expensive but my vet told me there have been cases of lung worm recently, mainly down south but a few up here too. It's caught by them eating slugs & snails, which most dogs do, especially puppies.

We use frontline, it's not exactly what you'd call cheap, but it works. Better spending a bit more on something that actually works-I don't trust many flea treatments to be honest.

We use frontline, it's not exactly what you'd call cheap, but it works. Better spending a bit more on something that actually works-I don't trust many flea treatments to be honest.

Me, too. Years ago, with my first cats, I tried cheap stuff from the pet shop and it never worked.

At the time, the best stuff was a spray - which the cats hated. The vet said the easiest way to treat them was to put them in a carrier bag, with their head poking out, and spray into the bag!!! You can imagine how much fun that was. :hihi:

PS To the OP - you can buy Frontline a lot cheaper online than you can get it from the Vets.

I use Frontline too, its cracking stuff! except to the fleas of course!

frontline is the only way i recon i buy it from medvets online and its costs me around £18 with the postage cost added on and thats for a pack of 6 cat ones , wont be much more for dogs

Edited by lubylou12

I've abandoned any thoughts of using anything other than decent flea treatments after seeing animals with appalling flea allergies and desperate health problems as a result of fleas.

The hound and 2 cats are on Frontline, the other 2 cats are on Advocate, mainly because they're both prone to ear mites and it prevents and treats them too.

You can get Frontline from most Chemists - and it's cheaper than from the Vets!

Well it sure sounds like Frontline is the way to go!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I know they sell it at the pharmacy near us so will pop there later to get some and then look into buying it online for future purchases.

Thanks again.

You'll save about 30% by buying it online- you just need to plan to buy it a few days before you need it :)

You can also buy Drontal online too, to make sure that you're worming on a 3 month schedule too.

Please note that for both wormer and flea treatment you will need to know within a couple of kilograms how much your dog weighs before buying.