If you could change our roads..

I think the majority on here would agree Sheffield's road system is an embarrassment. It would be intersesting to know how you would change it.

Here are a few of my ideas:

The main problem: it seems the planners have forgotten what roads are for - VEHICLES! Not pedestrians. I would remove at least half of the crossings and give priority back to the traffic.

Traffic lights: Have you ever noticed how the traffic seems to flow quite nicely when the traffic lights stop working?

Bus Lanes: I admit, some are good. The only reason for this though is the council have manufactured bottle necks (i.e. in Broomhill) forcing people onto expensive busses.

One Way roads and blocked roads: As mentioned above, council made to force people off the roads.

I've certainly seen lots of people nearly hitting each other because the lights werent working outside my office, never seen it improve traffic. At all.

Maybe you're right, but from what I've seen it seems to work alright. I'm not saying remove all lights but maybe in certain locations.

Also, if people were taught how to drive better i.e. more conscientiously and aware of their surroundings, we wouldn't have to rely on traffic 'contol' in all situations.

I'd add more signs.

Not just any signs for the hell of it but signs telling me which lane I need to be in to get to where I want to go before I am on the junction.

I would ban the motor car .. and anything else with an engine. :)

I would ban the motor car .. and anything else with an engine. :)

Good idea, I reckon that would really help the local economy, therefore increase employment and reduce crime. ;)

I was all in favour of cycle lanes...still am providing that cyclists now start to pay road tax....£20.00 per year seems fair IMO.

I'd just fill in the pot holes, to not be in agony when driving would be lovely. Spend a fortune is suspension repairs!

£20.00 per year seems fair IMO.
not when low CO2 emission cars pay zero it doesn't. And you might find most people you see on a bike pay road tax for the cars they also own.

I'd just fill in the pot holes, to not be in agony when driving would be lovely. Spend a fortune is suspension repairs!
That would be my wish too - forget changing any junctions, doing new roads etc just maintain the ones they've let literally disintegrate to the standard they are obliged to do.

dont know about sheffield but in rotherham and worksop if you go to a pay and display car park and park in a disabled parking space using your disabled badge you still have to pay the parking fee, whats up with that you might say, but think about it all it does is encourage disabled drivers to park free on double yellow lines on a busy road causing blockages, why cant the council let them park fre in a pay and display area this would solve the problem surely

Traffic lights: Have you ever noticed how the traffic seems to flow quite nicely when the traffic lights stop working?

Bus Lanes: I admit, some are good. The only reason for this though is the council have manufactured bottle necks (i.e. in Broomhill) forcing people onto expensive busses.

One Way roads and blocked roads: As mentioned above, council made to force people off the roads.

I can agree with the issue of too many traffic lights, also so many one-way streets, which result in drivers wasting more time and fuel driving round looking for the correct way in to a destination; if they miss a turning they might be faced with as much as a half-mile trip right round to where they started....

More thought must be put into traffic light junctions and one-way streets, as to if they are really needed in many locations...:love:

what they do in america bearing in mind they drive on the other side is when you get to traffic lights if you want to turn right and the light is red you are still allowed to turn as long as the on coming traffic is clear, it works brilliantly, if we were to adopt this here turning left instead it would clear a full lane of traffic instantly saving 30% of conjestion,the only 2 problems with it are how do you retrain drivers to do this and the council wouldnt get there £60 if you jump the lights

The main problem: it seems the planners have forgotten what roads are for - VEHICLES! Not pedestrians. I would remove at least half of the crossings and give priority back to the traffic.

Even if you remove crossings, you don't remove people's need to cross. At the moment, you can be sure of where people are crossing the road, because they are willing to walk a short distance to get the benefit of a pedestrian crossing. Without them, people will cross anywhere they can, walking out on traffic and causing accidents. Cars will have to go much slower as a result, making traffic in the city center far worse than it is already. I bet you see a few people crossing roads at random points every week, and curse them as idiots for getting in your way, but your plan will make them appear everywhere.

Oh, and roads aren't for cars. I checked a map of Sheffield from before 1885, and we had plenty back then. Or maybe we were just prepared?