Does anyone out there like 'Alt Country'?

Anyone see Smog in Leeds? Fantastic stuff. Devandra Bernhart is also really mesmerising.

Best soundtrack of the year- "Dead Man's Shoes". I couldn't believe what great taste Shane Meadows has when I was watching that film. Adem, Calexico, Bonnie Prince Billy, Richard Hawley, the aforementioned Smog- it is like a who's who of "post folk", "alt-country" whatever you want to call it.

Lambchop are the absolute dons when it comes to winsome, pedal steeled, narrated tumbleweed tales of Yankee Doodle Dandee. Kurt Wagner's voice reaches the baritone rumbles only matched by the great Cash himself.

Good tip- get down to the next Homefires festival in London. The one two months ago was incredible. Curated by Adem, it featured James Yorkston, different acts from Scotland's The Fence Collective (a really promising scene), Badly Drawn Boy (!?)Magic Numbers and many others including Adem himself. Fourtet DJed. It was a really great day listening to innovative, laid back songs with likeminded people.

I'll stop name dropping now...

Originally posted by jake

Andy who manages Record Collector in Broomhill is a massive country rock fan - so if you're ever after any country rock stuff - thats probably the place to go...

Yeah, but he's also a massive fan of his haircut and Partridge Family tattoo!

Leah x (who has probably just lost her job)

im not sure sheffield is so hot for Alt.Country, me and my friends ended up having to go to Nottingham to see Iron and Wine back in november, but we did discover that Micah P Hinson was playing at the Boardwalk a few weeks later so we caught him too.

*edit* Just remembered that The Earlies (and Twisted Folk) played the Leadmill a few months ago. Hem supported and were really really good, if you come across a copy of Eveningland, get it!

Originally posted by jesushairdo

Yes! I love alt. country! I recently went to a club in London called Sin city and me and my friend have decided to copy it and do one in Sheff. It's re-assuing that other people like this stuff too!!!! It's at the Lescar on Aug 16TH. So come!!!

Hey you guys,

Is this night still on?

I'm away while the 12th so I might miss out on the promo.

I hope to meet all you redneck threaders at the Lescar.

All the best, SR

Yeah, it's still on. I've started putting out the flyers and posters the last few days, so look out for them.

Yeah, I went to that Micah P Hinson gig, thought he was really good, a lot looser than the album, worked really well. Although he was supposed to do a set at Record Collector the same day but never turned up. Showbiz tart. Thankfully I only live about thirty seconds away.

With regard to Sheffield not being so great for Alt Country, tis true, but then it aint that great for gigs in general, is it? Hopefully, our night will correct the balance a little, even if we are just playing their records.

PS New Smog album is fantastic.

Unfortunately I'll be on my holidays too so will miss it! Very disapointed, would love to know how it goes and do keep me posted of the next one. I used to do alot of promo and press work so let me know if you need a hand on that front.

Hmmm... where do i start, here goes:

Chris Mills, Richard Hawley, Richmond Fontaine, Steve Earle, Johnny Cash, Eels, E, Old 97's, R.E.M., Matthew Ryan, Roger Davies, Slaid Cleaves, Clem Snide, Kathleen Edwards, Ben Weaver, The HaveNots, Jeffrey Foucault, Liam Dullaghan, Griffin House, M. Ward, Strays Don't Sleep, Stephen Fretwell, Elbow, Jeff Klein, The National, Jeff Plankenhorn, Hawksley Workman, Micah P. Hinson, Bruce Springsteen, Mark Mallman, Nickel Creek, Chuck Prophet, Quiet Loner, Charles E. Cullen, Bob Dylan, The Gin Blossoms, The Arlenes, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Counting Crows, Cake, Blaze Foley, Del Amitri, Chris Isaak, Green On Red, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Lemonheads... there are probably a lot more i've missed....

Anyway, i think that's a yes.

I remember those on the Zippo label about 20 years ago, like Green on Red, Long Ryders, Jason and the Scorchers, and the Rain Parade

I'm also a big alt country fan. Like most of the stuff on here, along with stuff like the Shins etc.

Trouble is, none of my mates are into it and I'm not the kind of person to rock up to a club on my own at all!

I'll keep an eye open for more of these events.

Come down on Sunday and give it a go if you're about, you won't be on your own for sure! All nice and friendly and cheap ale too!

Well, I got a mate who I might be able to rope in. If I can, I'll come cos I quite like the sound of the artists who are playing.