Does anyone out there like 'Alt Country'?

My word. I was unaware so many people were into country music (whether it be the alt variety or otherwise). I too am a huge fan of your alt country, as well as bluegrass, country rock and all bits inbetween.

As my good friend above states, we'll be hosting an evening dedicated to the delights of such cosmic american music, and it would lovely to see you all down there. We'll try and give as much variety as possible (within the confines of the aforementioned diverse genre) and hopefully much fun will be had.

As mentioned, the back room of the Lescar, 16th August, look out for flyers and poster.

P.S.

Anyone got the new Richmond Fontaine? Cracking.

That sounds like a grand idea! I'll definately be up for that. Good to see that something interesting's happening. Let me know if you need a hand organising anything, would be happy to help.

I'm a big bluegrass fan too, I'm also keen on the Louvin Brothers and has anyone here heard of 'Old and In the Way' I think it was Jerry Garcia's band? I have a ratty old cassette and I've been trying to find it on CD.

Originally posted by GHS1961

My kind of music as well

Clearly many of you appear to be uanaware that in Sheffield we probably have available to us more Americana/Alt Country gigs than almost anywhere outside London.

Most of the gigs are promoted by a guy called Stuart Basford, who uses a number of venues depending on demand and availability of venue. In the past he has used mostly the Memorial Hall, Boardwalk and the Pheasant but recently I have attended some wonderful gigs at the Montgomery Theatre.

Over the years amongst many others I have been fortunate to see;

Ryan Adams at the Boardwalk (twice)

The Jayhawks (acoustic gig at the Memorial Hall)

Steve Earle

Pernice Brothers

Willard Grant Conspiracy

Gillian Welch

and most recently the Waifs

Mail Stuart on stuart@jewels1.freeserve.co.uk to get on his mailing list.

its a shame it took as long as page 2 to get someone to mention the brilliance that is mr ryan adams. and im still shocked not to see whiskeytown being mentioned. :(

I have supported Stuart's shows over the years, he does a cracking job. The Wailin' Jennys at the Highcliffe earlier this year was a particular pleasure, and only a five minute walk home!

Good to hear about the planned nights at the Lescar, as folks have said there is a wide range of "country" stuff out in the big world but what about locally? I am aware of Sneaky Peek, Laconic and the "characters" that pitch up at open mics but who else is there?

New Lucinda Williams live album is something to crank up while clocking up the miles, I saw this show at Shepherd's Bush Empire (support from Beth Orton!), favourite turn in favourite theatre and now I can relive at the push of a button.

Hey StanRobinson, I think I went to that gig too, was it the other year? Didnt realise that was out as I live CD.

Dolly, S/Bush shows were in (I think) May 03, new album was recorded in San Francisco Oct 03, double album mainly World without Tears and Essence tracks live plus bits of older stuff.

If you ever feel like giving your fiddle a scrape let me know, there's plenty of opportunity.

where's the lescar?

Sharrowvale Road, just down from hunters bar roundabout.

Anyone into Magnolia Electric Co/Songs Ohia/Jason Molina? Just got the new album, 'What Comes After The Blues', and it's flippin good.

Speaking of Mr Ryan Adams, I'm going to see him next week in Manchester. Very much looking forward to it, not seen him live before, am a big fan of his solo stuff and the Whiskeytown albums.

Hi StanRobinson,

Arh the fiddle's a bit of a sore point! It was a Christmas present a few years back and after I tried a few teachers I gave up... I really wanted to learn bluegrass stuff but none of my teachers had a blooming clue, closest I found was a Trad Irish fiddle teacher. So if anyone know's a more appropriate teacher I'd love to give it another bash!

Just another note on the subject. This site quite good for finding out what's happening, several venues within striking distance.

http://www.americana-uk.com/html/home.html

Anybody interested in perfoming this kind of stuff please be in touch, the more awful harmonies the better!

That site's handy but it does become clear how few bands play in Sheffield, which is a little frustrating. I did however come across a link to me mates band 'UK States' who are very good!

Just to let you all know - I've found this fantastic website called Soul Seek. I've managed to download tons of country stuff. You enter a search and then it goes through all the other users files to see if they have a track. Great for obscure stuff!!