Does anyone out there like 'Alt Country'?

Perhaps we need to compile some kinda top 20 albums or start up a swop system?? I seem to like stuff that's a bit older... (wilko, Grand Drive, Lucinda Williams, Jayhawks, ect.) probably cause I used to have money to buy CD's and now I dont. Would be keen to try some new stuff out.

I have a fiddle... but we dont talk about that.

Andy who manages Record Collector in Broomhill is a massive country rock fan - so if you're ever after any country rock stuff - thats probably the place to go...

It's always seemed to be a bit of a fuzzy genre to me, but then they all are, I guess. At the momenty particular faves are Iron and Wine, Bonnie Prince Billy, Calexico, Hammell on Trial, M Ward and Giant Sand. I'm definitely going to check out some of the other names mentioned here, though. Keep them coming!

Originally posted by Greenback

Bonnie Prince Billy

I could listen to him until the cows come home :)

the new Bright Eyes album is excellent, also try the latest from Tompaulin - into the black

Originally posted by ddolly

Just wondered if there were any other alt country fans out there? And if there are any good country nights in Shef, either DJ's or live bands???

Not aware of any alt-country bands that are Shefield based. The closest I've heard to alt-country is a band called Ebbtone who are very good.

My kind of music as well

Clearly many of you appear to be uanaware that in Sheffield we probably have available to us more Americana/Alt Country gigs than almost anywhere outside London.

Most of the gigs are promoted by a guy called Stuart Basford, who uses a number of venues depending on demand and availability of venue. In the past he has used mostly the Memorial Hall, Boardwalk and the Pheasant but recently I have attended some wonderful gigs at the Montgomery Theatre.

Over the years amongst many others I have been fortunate to see;

Ryan Adams at the Boardwalk (twice)

The Jayhawks (acoustic gig at the Memorial Hall)

Steve Earle

Pernice Brothers

Willard Grant Conspiracy

Gillian Welch

and most recently the Waifs

Mail Stuart on stuart@jewels1.freeserve.co.uk to get on his mailing list.

Originally posted by GHS1961

Clearly many of you appear to be uanaware that in Sheffield we probably have available to us more Americana/Alt Country gigs than almost anywhere outside London.

I would say Nottingham has a more thriving scene with this place

http://www.cosmicamerican.com

I am aware of Stuarts promotions his website is

http://www.jewelpromotions.com

Hi GHS1961,

That sounds very promising! I was hoping to uncover some kind of scene. I'll drop him a line and see what's on the horizon. Does anyone here go to the 'meets' on a Sunday? Would be good to have a chat in person and swop notes.

I forgot to mention these artists as well....

Matthew Ryan

Micah P Hinson

Ben Weaver

Old Crow Medicine Show

Kathleen Edwards

ddolly - don't go to meets, married with kids so its sometimes an effort to get to the gigs I enjoy. the other half is not a fan of this form of music.

Nottingham is probably a better organised scene, evident by the fact that none of Stuart's links currently appear to work. however over the years he has and continues to put on many acts who simply do not seem to play anywhere else nearby - the view of a mate in Retford whose only reason to come to Sheffield is to attend these gigs.

Other great nights I have enjoyed;

Howe gelb

Kurt Wagner, solo at Silverdale! ( his former school)

Kurt with Josh Rouse

Kurt with the rest of Lambchop

Nadine

Handsome Family

but possibly the best live has to be Alejandro Escovedo at the Boardwalk who was simply stunning.

My next musical highlight will be to see Lucinda Williams with Laura Cantrell in Mcr. next month

Yes! I love alt. country! I recently went to a club in London called Sin city and me and my friend have decided to copy it and do one in Sheff. It's re-assuing that other people like this stuff too!!!! It's at the Lescar on Aug 16TH. So come!!!