Does anyone out there like 'Alt Country'?

Just wondered if there were any other alt country fans out there? And if there are any good country nights in Shef, either DJ's or live bands???

I like what I've heard of a lot of Alt.Country when I've listened to Bob Harris on Radio 2.

Wouldn't say I'm an expert, but like a lot of Tex-Mex stuff - Calexico, for example - and older stuff like Gram Parsons.

joe

I was just wondering if there was interest or a night on the go already? I've only been in Shef 6 months so dont really know the scene, but was thinking of getting a night together or helping out. I use to do a bit of this kind of thing in London.

GP's great! Kind of the granddaddy of A.C.

I'll have a listen, looks like you found yourself a niche.

I'll have a listern to the Low Country site too.. see what I rec, always open to suggestions.

its a weird thing to categorise. A lot of stuff could be alt country (Arcade Fire, Thrills, Wrens etc)

Yeah, I know there's alot of 'indie' or 'pop' stuff that has a bit of a country or americana twang. I tend to like quite a bit of that stuff but I also like some of the mainstream country such as Johnny Cash and Emmylou Harris. I think the lable 'Alt Country' just makes it a bit easier to dissassociate from all the really cheesey American Country that's popular in the states and make it more acceptable to say that you like country?

Im an Alt.Country fan :)

Both the indie variety and the more americana variety

Now then there's a thought a regular country night. I'm sure there's plenty of suitable venues around town. But is there the interest from the turns and / or the punters?

Putting a band together is an idea I've toyed with for a while. Any "talent" out there interested?

There's nowt finer than the old 'Alt Country ' stuff!!! ;)

Check out Bright Eyes, Willy Mason. M.Ward, Chris Mills, Slaid Cleves, The National .....but to name a few!! :)

......and

RICHARD HAWLEY!