Does Children's television matter?

would be good to hear from parents what they think of children's tv? It is important to the child?

And also adults, what did children's tv matter to you??

i think it depends on the child we have 2 children my son as learnt alot from kids progg to be honest hes 2yr nearly 3 yrs

I think children should be banned from watching television, especially all the American crap they put on now.

It's just an excuse for lazy parents - stick them in front of the telly and you don't need to bother educating or playing with your kids yourself.

I think children should be banned from watching television, especially all the American crap they put on now.

It's just an excuse for lazy parents - stick them in front of the telly and you don't need to bother educating or playing with your kids yourself.

i aint lazy its tv :loopy:

childrens tv can teach kids many things

I think it has its place. My son is two and a half and watches TV. Some of the programmes he watches are educational and he has learned things I didn't even know. I think it's fine for children to watch some television, but it shouldn't be a replacement for doing things with them, taking them out, interacting with them, etc.

The children I nannied for weren't allowed to watch Television , and they didn't have one until they were older , although they didn't mind not having one , they used their imagination to play games , even at 2 or 3 they played mummies and daddies, school and played at being the vet with all their cuddly toys, we made castles from Cardboard boxes, did allsorts of painting , cooking, we also used to have picnics and long walks in Derbyshire. As they are in their 20's now they are all very good at conversing with everyone, I have to say the only one who is bothered about a tv is the eldest who watches lots but the others don't have one in their own homes , and arn't bothered.

I personally don't watch TV very often although my husband does watch more than I do.

I think some of the Childrens TV content isn't what it should be.

I dont watch much TV myself because personally I think its a load of Cr**. One can only take so much reality, quiz TV. My daughter watches kids programmes on TINY POP, CBBC KIX's, POPGIRL and I find them far more entertaining....lol.

CeeBeebies reinforces a lot of what we parents are teaching them.

This morning one programme was all about sharing.

The child is not just getting info from you the parents.

I loved Fraggle Rock as a kid and I'm pretty sure that if not for being thoroughly inculcated with it's messages about the importance of trying to find out about the world, it's inhabitants and the importance co-habiting with them as best you and of course it's warnings against the dangers of living in and acting upon ignorance and superstition I'd be a theocratic dictator ruling Europe (or possibly my house) with an iron fist by now. I'm pretty sure Hitler and the Ayatollah Khomeini never watched Fraggle Rock when they were kids and just look how they turned out.

would be good to hear from parents what they think of children's tv? It is important to the child?

And also adults, what did children's tv matter to you??

Last year, I had to write part of an essay, with the question being on the lines of 'Is owning TV classed as a necessity in contemporary society, amongst the poor?'. It seemed like a no brainer, but there's a lot more to it.

I wonder how many of the older posters on the forum, remember sitting around the wireless with their [old fashioned] Dads, listening to some boxing match, or some late night programme, and feeling a part of their lives, in their otherwise perception of their Dad's non-stop non-social working life.

-

In the case of the modern day, and with kids. I was looking after my mate's 2 little uns, and we were doing jigsaws.

The cbeebie(??) channel had been left on in the background, on low. A programme came on, that was one of those singing and dancing things. Within seconds, the jigsaw seemed obsolete and they wanted to do all the singing and dancing. I thought for a second, and wondered which was better. Them doing a kind of mini brain exercise, or real exercise?! :confused::hihi:

A mixture of both, seems the best.

On the other hand, I still have frequent nightmares about that wooden bird thing with professor glasses, on Bagpuss.

CeeBeebies reinforces a lot of what we parents are teaching them.

This morning one programme was all about sharing.

The child is not just getting info from you the parents.

That raises a very interesting point. Many people go on nowadays about the breakdown in family life and parents not being interested in their children. At least if they can sit them in front of the TV for them to learn about all life's lessons we'll have solved a problem.

Or am I just looking too far into it? :huh: