Wild ring necked parakeet's in sheffield ??

6 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Seen a few knocking about in northern general hospital woods near longley park 

Saw some just before Christmas day flying over Barnsley Road from the hospital grounds, about ten of them.

I also live in Firth Park near hospital an have been seeing them for about 3 years now.

Saw a small flock, upwards of six birds, in Bunting Nook in January, and today saw a pair in Longley Park with possible sightings of more parakeets in the distance. They seem to cohabit quite well alongside crows and magpies. I hope they become naturalised since they add welcome colour and excitement to our environment. 

I occasinally hear one with its eerie squawk after dark, and sometimes in the early hours as it flies from tree to tree down the back gardens (S6)

1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

Saw a small flock, upwards of six birds, in Bunting Nook in January, and today saw a pair in Longley Park with possible sightings of more parakeets in the distance. They seem to cohabit quite well alongside crows and magpies. I hope they become naturalised since they add welcome colour and excitement to our environment. 

Unfortunately Parakeets are on the invasive species list and will have to be monitored, they have the potential to be incredibly destructive to other species and  to crops, both Ring necked Parakeets and Monk Parakeets are on the general license and can be shot, in fact the aim is to eradicate both species completely. 

On 28/02/2019 at 19:46, mickey finn said:

Unfortunately Parakeets are on the invasive species list and will have to be monitored, they have the potential to be incredibly destructive to other species and  to crops, both Ring necked Parakeets and Monk Parakeets are on the general license and can be shot, in fact the aim is to eradicate both species completely. 

They'll not destroy much in the way of crops in Sheffield - nor in London where about 90% of the UK population live.

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

They'll not destroy much in the way of crops in Sheffield - nor in London where about 90% of the UK population live.

Wow, the sheer ignorance of you, are you a fully paid up member of the grey squirrel and Dutch Elm disease appreciation society.

I have seen one of these before in my garden but saw three yesterday flying around the shop's area at Newfield Green.  This was around 8 pm last night and I have seen  them tonight again.  They make quite a noise though.

We had 2 visiting our feeders here in Fulwood until we put the squirrel guard on. They are obviously nesting in a tree two or three gardens up the road as there are now 3 of them!

They are hideously noisy ...

On 02/03/2019 at 15:35, mickey finn said:

Wow, the sheer ignorance of you, are you a fully paid up member of the grey squirrel and Dutch Elm disease appreciation society.

Presumably you would also shoot all the egrets, ibis and storks now populating the UK as a result of global warming, along with red kites and any other off-course avian visitor?  Nigel Farage of the ornithological world?

On 02/08/2019 at 11:41, DavidFrance said:

Presumably you would also shoot all the egrets, ibis and storks now populating the UK as a result of global warming, along with red kites and any other off-course avian visitor?  Nigel Farage of the ornithological world?

You on 6 weeks holiday little un ?

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:03, Goldhead said:

We had 2 visiting our feeders here in Fulwood until we put the squirrel guard on. They are obviously nesting in a tree two or three gardens up the road as there are now 3 of them!

They are hideously noisy ...

Interesting. Whereabouts in Fulwood are you?