Another teaser

The simple answer is that in a knockout everybody except the winner gets knocked out. So, in a competition of 259 people 258 people get knocked out therefore 258 matches have to be played. Note, matches not byes.

The same goes for any number: 715 players, 714 losers therefore 714 matches.

I did say no sums and no writing down.

Originally posted by max

The simple answer is that in a knockout everybody except the winner gets knocked out. So, in a competition of 259 people 258 people get knocked out therefore 258 matches have to be played. Note, matches not byes.

Damn. You bet me to it. I figured it out as I was eating my breakfast this morning.

Nomme

Originally posted by nommedenet

Damn. You beat me to it. I figured it out as I was eating my breakfast this morning.

Nomme

Sorry, I thought 14 hours was long enough to leave it un-answered. I'll think of another one and leave it longer.

Originally posted by max

Sorry, I thought 14 hours was long enough to leave it un-answered. I'll think of another one and leave it longer.

Yeah..... but those 14 hours included the average 8 most of us get some kip!!

Anyway - any good at cryptic crossword clues? If you *know* the answers to these straight off please refrain from posting the answers (i.e spoiling it for others who haven't seen them before), but if you figure them out then by all means show how clever you are.

Here's some of my favourites :

1) HIJKLMNO (5)

2) GEGS (9,5)

3) E (13)

Nomme

Originally posted by max

It could also be argued semantically that only ONE match actually determines the winner!

Hence the 'St. Ives' analogy.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

It could also be argued semantically that only ONE match actually determines the winner!

Hence the 'St. Ives' analogy.

Yeah, I spotted that in one of your earlier posts but you still had to use sums and writing down to get the right answer, eventually.

Originally posted by max

Yeah, I spotted that in one of your earlier posts but you still had to use sums and writing down to get the right answer, eventually.

If you look at my postings you'll find that I DID NOT use pencil or paper or a calculator - except the old 'bonce' - which did let me down at one stage (130/2 = 75 !!!!!! idiot me). And thanks to JamieW, I did correct the arithmetical error, again solely with the old grey matter.

ps. Keep 'em coming Max.

If you look at my postings you'll find that I DID NOT use pencil or paper or a calculator - except the old 'bonce' - which did let me down at one stage (130/2 = 75 !!!!!! idiot me). And thanks to JamieW, I did correct the arithmetical error, again solely with the old grey matter.

ps. Keep 'em coming Max.

OK, apologies for implying that. However, the point of that teaser was that you didn't need to do any sort of calculations as it was a logic problem not a maths one.

I love max's solution to the tennis tournament :)

It's funny how human beings can have a tendency to make things more complex than they need to be ... or to look for more complex solutions !!

I'm guilty of being too complex loads ... mind you ... it wouldn't look good if people called me simple :o

If you look at my postings you'll find that I DID NOT use pencil or paper or a calculator - except the old 'bonce' - which did let me down at one stage (130/2 = 75 !!!!!! idiot me)...

What amazes me is that you got the 75 .. 37 .. etc .. and after adding up all games played in each round ... you still got 258 !!!

Pure class lol !!!

Thanks JamieW - but I did make that damn error - and at my age that's worrying!

Guess I'll just have to check and re-check next time (should do that anyway).

How about this one ... with no pencils / paper / calculators ...

There once was a salmon who tried to swim upstream to the place where she was born. She had to swim 1,010 feet upstream to reach the shady pool of water where she had once hatched from her egg.

Every five minutes she swam 30 feet upstream, but then in the next two minutes, while she rested,the rushing current would push her 10 feet back downstream.

She continued this way, swimming for five minutes then resting for two minutes, until she reached her destination.

How long did it take her to swim the entire 1,010 feet?