Firefox Extensions - What do you use?

I do use a theme - Grapple Yummy - it the best Safari theme for mac I have found.

I also have Fission installed which gives you a progress bar like safari used to (in the address Bar).

They do similar things, yes, but whereas the TACO plug-in actively blocks quite a few ad cookies (40-odd more invasive ad & tracking companies if I remember), Ghostery will tell you what (other, more friendly) things are being accessed. Sometimes for example you'll find that all sites that use one particular ad/tracking service (eg Google Analytics) will slow down, with Ghostery you can click the little ghost icon, & choose to block specific names. They (& ABP) complement each other quite well.

It looks like Ghostery achieves the same thing by different means. It has a comprehensive block list built in but it isn't switched on by default.

Click the Ghostery Icon> Options > Blocking Tab, then click Select All and switch blocking to on. This now blocks the tracking cookies from anyone on the list.

TACO does it by placing permenant opt out cookies in your browser - I find this a little messy as when you check your cookie list its full of opt out cookies.

I'm going to stick with Ghostery and remove TACO as it seems like a neater solution.

Doing some work now - forget to mention YSlow in my other post.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's ABP? And are there any extensions you couldn't live without?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's ABP? And are there any extensions you couldn't live without?

http://adblockplus.org/en/

As some malware is being spread by adverts serving up malicious code to exploit browser vulnerabilities (malvertisements), it's a good enough reason to block them.

Even "safe" websites are being hit, sites such as major newspaper sites etc.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/daily_mail_malware/

Sorry for the abbreviation - the full name is censored by the forum software!

I would say that ABP is the one I would say is essential. Some people argue that it is wrong to use it because most free sites rely on advertising, however you can always disable it on sites if you want to support them this way.

ädblock plus - Would not be without this

no-script - Without this you are surfing without a condom - also blocks flash/multimedia etc

firebug - very useful for site optimization

web developer toolbar - indispensable aid to troubleshooting web designs

customize google - tweak every aspect of google, block google ads, anonymize google cookie etc.

stumbleupon

URL flipper - great little extension that lets you increment & decrement numbers in the request string with the click of a mouse

TOR Button - instant total anonymity if used correctly

Tiny Menu - compresses the file menu into a fly out menu, saves vertical screen space.

Edited by Phanerothyme

That URL Flipper looks quite interesting, not seen that one before

It's a good one. Great for page sequences without interstitial links. and even browsing forums.

ABP

British English Dictionary

Cool Previews

Flash Block

IE Tab

No Script

PDF Download

Xmarks (Was Foxmarks)

Xmarks is fantastic, syncing my bookmarks between my work and home PC's.

Just about to move from XP to Windows 7 and i've just downloaded MozBackup to make the move a little simpler.

Whilst i'm at it i've had a look at what add-ons i'm running, there are hundreds out there and everyone must have their own favourites so post them here and let us all enjoy one of the under rated benefits of Firefox.

My List.

Ad block Plus - It's in the name.

British English Dictionary - Obvious really but it's nice to have a British dictionary instead of a default US one.

CacheViewer - For searching the Cache, used it once so i may uninstall it.

DownloadThemAll - A menu extension, Right click on a page and select it, you can now select images from a webpage to download.

Password Exporter - Saves your password file as a .csv file that you can look at in Excel. Handy for a paper backup of your passwords.

PS. A weird thing happened when posting this message when i put Ad block in as a single word ******* appeared. I'll try it below.