Sign in to follow this  

Error Deleting File or Folder

I keep getting these Error messages on my PC when deleting files I've recently been working on in PhotoShop.

"Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot delete file: it is being used buy another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

I'm using a networked computer but I know no one else has access to my files. Even when I re-boot I get the same messages and its bugging me! I like to keep my files tidy and I can't!

It seems to happen every other day but never with any other applications. No one else on the same network has this...

you need to close down the proccess that is been ran, once you have done this you can delete the file/folder

Are the files you wish to delete on your computer, such as your C: drive, or a network drive such as H: or G: ?

What operating system are you using? eg Windows 98, 2000 or XP?

Reboot in safe mode (keep pressing F8 as the computer starts) then try to delete the files.

:)

Does your keyboard match your shade of lipstick?

Colour mismatches can often cause this problem.

open notepad, save as *.*

and save as exactly the same as the file u want to delete

i.e. download.avi

and then delete the notepad doc!

easy as 1 2 3

Thanks all, but they still won't delete!

Obviously I closed Photoshop - and the files are on a networked drive on XP.

There no hidden temp files anywhere - not even if i try and view the folders on my mac.

I can't save a notepad file as the file because my file is 'in use'.

I can't see the networks if i re-boot into safe mode.

and I don't even own a lipstick.

Originally posted by tinajones

I can't see the networks if i re-boot into safe mode.

Can Win XP not boot in SafeMode with networking support (Win '98 can)?

Failing that, have you got physical access to the PC that holds the networked drive? If so, you should be able to delete the files directly from the server, rather than through the network?

This happens quite a lot on network shares. I find it happens a lot less when you aren't previewing the file. Try setting the view mode on the folder to list instead of thumbnails. This won't unlock the file though.

To unlock the file you need access to the file server. 2 ways it can be done (without rebooting the server):

1: Unshare the network share. Then reshare it again.

2: In start menu, select run then type services.msc scroll down to "server" and right click. Select restart. <-- note. this does not restart the server. It restarts the server service.

The second option might be best because it means you won't need to reset the permissions on the share. However, if lots of people use the server you should do it when it's not being used because anyone transfering files to/from a share at the time you reset the service will find that it fails.

Just to clarify: This needs to be done on the file server NOT your local machine.

In Windows explorer when you try to delete the file do you see the preview of the photoshop file in the left?

I sometimes get this error when windows tries to display the preview of a graphic or movie file and when you try to delete it windows is still accessing it.

EDIT: Just noticed that punk suggested the same just one post above.

as a side yes you can boot in safe mode with networking in xp