MABLE at University of Sheffield

Im starting my masters in biotechnological law and ethics (MABLE) this sept. ANybody who can tell me about the course please?:)

I would guess no one does, because I asked the same question a month ago here and I didn't get any replies :(

I was thinking of starting the course in September 2006.

Anyway let's atleast get to know each other. I'm Bharathi from Chennai, India. Did my ndergrad in Chemistry. What abt u?:)

Ooooh - let me know how you get on with it - I'm now too expensive for research apparently and thinking about getting into bio-ethics to try and build a career rather than scrabbling for short term contracts :(

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? A friend of mine completed the course 3 years ago and now works for a biotech company an Cambridge. I could ask her for you.

Why don't you either:

a) Visit the wesbite and look at the prospectus

b) Email someone from the course team with your question(s) regarding the course

c) Phone someone from the course team with your questions

I have already done what you suggest, Dug, and the OP probaby has too.

But, universities are effectively businesses and courses are their products. If too few people sign up, they cannot be run; they are not likely to tell prospective students that the course is a waste of a year/ overpriced etc.

Sometimes you just want an insider's view, from the perspective of a student on the course rather than that of a tutor :thumbsup:

Totally agree with Isha. I've read the university prospectus enough and many times to practically memorise it! I wanted to speak with someone who's actually done the course and how they found it, how good the faculty was, how much it is valued etc etc

I don't know much about the MABLE course itself, but I did do some Biotech Law and Ethics stuff in my third year of Biochemistry. Dr Kinderlerer (who may or may not still be the one running it) was great - he made everything fun and interesting... so if you're interested in learning about the legal and ethical (and indeed moral) implications of genetic screening, selection etc, it could well be the course for you.

Thank u RichD. That is precsely what Im seeking. So i guess ill enjoy the course.

Hi,

My girlfriend has done the course and she had this to say about it all:

"I completed the course three years ago (with the girl working in Cambridge mentioned before). I found that it tackled some of the questions I found weren't contemplated during the genetics degree I did at the University. I found it opened my mind to the many bioethics related topics. The teaching was good, but I found the most value in the people I met and the work (eg. dissertation). I undertook myself with guidance from my tutor. I have been able to continue working in SIBLE since on various research projects too. My advise would be to dive in to all the research and reading right from the beginning, and you'll get the most value from the course. Also, it is important to get involved with any SIBLE projects/activities if they are offered, as this can give some great work experience."

Hope that helps. You can PM me if you need any more info.

Thanks for the info and thanks to your girlfriend too. It's much appreciated :thumbsup: