Ecclesall High School--any memories?

Any memories of Ecclesall High School, 2, Broad Elms Lane, Sheff.11, 1938 to 1952?

Hi Marth I live next door to the Old School House and am very interested in it's history. I have a book about Whirlow, which covers its earliest history' 1727 circa' but would like to know more about the period that you mention. I believe the flat I live in is sited on what was the school garden. Would appreciate any info please. JOGI.

Hi JOGI

The old school and schoolhouse was a school for almost 200 years and became a mission hall in the early 20th century. It was later converted into Ecclesall High School, but in the great gale of February 1962 was so badly damaged it was forced to close. The building was later restored and converted into flats.

I don't know if that adds anything to what you already know?

Hello Jogi, Fancy you living next door to my old school! The school house was on the right hand end, with a garden and a little gate to the right of an old oak tree--which seemed HUGE in those days. Is it still there? In front of the school there was a playground, and to the left of the school there was a piece of waste ground, where the air-raid shelter was, underground. When the sirens went, we had to file down the steps into the gloom below, each carrying our "air-raid bag" in which was a torch, sweets, paper and pencil, comics, and colouring things. No plastic bags, ballpoints, or electronic games in those days!! There we stayed until the "all clear" went, delighted to be missing lessons. We also had gas masks which we carried everywhere. The two headmistresses were Miss Hambley and Miss Givins. I still have the letter they wrote to me when I got married, and they sent me 6 silver plated teaspoons! Those were the days! Any more questions? Marth.

To Algy and Marth, many thanks for you replies. I'd like to add some helpful comments. As I write, I'm looking at the magnificent oak tree,which my book tells me was planted by the pupils in 1736. This book also says there were 80 pupils when it closed in 1962. Seems a lot for the size of the school. The book i've quoted is titled 'Whirlow The story of an ancient Sheffield hamlet, by Shirley Frost. 1990 onwards by Northend printers. Love to hear more. Regards.

Jogi---When I was at the school there were 86 pupils I believe. The older ones used two rooms in the house as classrooms. We had a fantastic education but not much in the way of games or P E. We had to walk up High Storrs Road to a hockey field, and tennis courts. Discipline was very strict! During the war it was quite difficult to find teachers, and we had one or two rather strange ones from time to time. It was a very happy school with good results. There were 3 of us who started in 1938 and went right on until we had passed our School Certs at 17, then we all went to the Sheffield College of Art. We are still in touch.

Hello Marth . I've just sent you a p.m. Bye for now JOGI

Any information about Ecclesall High School 1952-1958

When the school was closed any ideas as to what happened to the contents? cjw

Hi, 

I'm in the process of writing my life-story, in response to many years of my children, now my grandchildren, asking for it.  I was at Ecclesall High School from 1955 to its closing due to the gales of 1962.  I could let you have some information if you wish.  My name at the time was Mary Bonser.