I haven't got a pound sign

On my newish laptop the pound key doesn't work, or at least it doesn't display a pound sign.

Anyone know why?

Keith

Could be that your Regional and Language options are set to English (US) instead of English (UK). Check in the Control Panel.

On my newish laptop the pound key doesn't work, or at least it doesn't display a pound sign.

Anyone know why?

Keith

Press shift and alt (holding the shift part first)

Could be that your Regional and Language options are set to English (US) instead of English (UK). Check in the Control Panel.

No they are set to English UK Thanks

Press shift and alt (holding the shift part first)

Nope that doesn't work either.

what does come up when you press shift and 3? try removing US english as an option in language selection in case it's using it even though it's not set to. if worst comes to it as a temporary thing you can use on screen keyboard to get pound sign

There are usually two settings, language settings, and keyboard settings. It is the keyboard settings that you will need to change.

Most standard computer keyboards have both the £ and $ sign over adjacent keys; the real problem is that many don't have the Euro sign, although I know there is some multikey shortcut as far as I remember.

Also, in two common keyboard layout options, symbols such as @ and " can often be transposed, which means taking care not to put a " in an email address!

go to start, control panel ,regional languages,in regional options make sure both drop down boxes say united kingdom then click on languages,details in the drop down box make sure it says english united kingdom.in the box where it says installed services make sure there is only one option english united kingdom if there are other options click on them and remove click apply then ok and then ok again

Could it be related to the credit crunch? There's no money left, hence the key's functionality has been disabled.