Newhall Road and Sanderson Street

Thanks for the picture Joan L - I can't imagine Newhall Road changed much between the 20s and 60s. I think I can remember my mum saying she caught the Millhouses tram to travel to work.

I went to Newhall School. Remember Mr Beal, Miss Coupe and the early morning assemblies in the hall. Remrmber well the motto over the headmasters desk "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do . Do it with all thy might. They were great days but during the war and the Sheffield Blitz we held services for the Brown family who were killed in the Sunday night raid Dec. 14/15th December.Sadly seem to have lost touch with most of the schoolmates Johnny Crowther. Nick-Nack. Micky Horner and lots of others. Would love to get in touch with anyof them that remember.

Hi All, I was brought up on newhall road in the 50s, we lived at number 77,would love to hear from anyone that may know me.Names I remember are John Elmore and Angela Guite. My names Keith. Thanks.

Hi All, I was brought up on newhall road in the 50s, we lived at number 77,would love to hear from anyone that may know me.Names I remember are John Elmore and Angela Guite. My names Keith. Thanks.

We lived for a time at 61 Newhall Road, this being in the 1940s. A few doors up was a greengrocers, called Pepperdine I think --and later a family called Evans (son Arnold) too it on. Our front room was converted into a Ladies hairdressing salon, run by a Mrs Eardley, who also had a grocer's shop somewhere on Don Road.

I went to Newhall School. Remember Mr Beal, Miss Coupe and the early morning assemblies in the hall. Remrmber well the motto over the headmasters desk "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do . Do it with all thy might. They were great days but during the war and the Sheffield Blitz we held services for the Brown family who were killed in the Sunday night raid Dec. 14/15th December.Sadly seem to have lost touch with most of the schoolmates Johnny Crowther. Nick-Nack. Micky Horner and lots of others. Would love to get in touch with anyof them that remember.

Remember the bell behind the headmaster's desk? This was dedicated to the memory of the headmaster before Jerry Bronks, and he died suddenly after collapsing on his way to a football match at Hillsborough. He was running for a tram in the city centre when he collapsed.

I lived around the corner of newall rd i was born in don place in 1953

No but I worked at Sandersons for a number of years.

did you know arthur glasby(60`s 70`s) alan turner(80`s,90`s)or bob richardson?

So you will remember the Forge pub, my mum was a barmaid there until 1968

and my dad and husband worked at the Brightside Foundry.

my relatives,the glasby`s,lived across the road,along with the longley and scarrat families,ben had the shop on the corner,and across the road was a shop where you could get a glass of fizzy pop for a penny.

did you know arthur glasby(60`s 70`s) alan turner(80`s,90`s)or bob richardson?

Sorry do not know any of those names.They must have worked in the machine departments.I worked in the rolling mill.You may know Tiffy Rowley,?Twelvetrees,George Hodge.

So you will remember the Forge pub, my mum was a barmaid there until 1968

and my dad and husband worked at the Brightside Foundry.

dear bossyboots the forge was mine and my fathers local we used to go in with the tuckwood family we were the very last family to move our house was the last to be demolished we lived next door to the truswell family who had the fleet of lorrys when i was at school newall they made the film women in love with oliver reed glenda jackson and allen bates those wer the good old days

John Elmore is my brother we lived at 7 court 2 on Newhall Road in the back to backs opposite Sandersons . I can remember fetching bowl of pudding and custard from their canteen for 4d in old money. We moved to Sicey Avenue in 1956. John is the only one of the family still living in Sheffield. The rest of the family now live in Lincolnshire

John Elmore is my brother we lived at 7 court 2 on Newhall Road in the back to backs opposite Sandersons . I can remember fetching bowl of pudding and custard from their canteen for 4d in old money. We moved to Sicey Avenue in 1956. John is the only one of the family still living in Sheffield. The rest of the family now live in Lincolnshire

My family lived at No 61 Newhall Road, but this was in the 1940s, in the same yard as the Pepperdine's who kept the local fruit shop (a few doors away) until it passed to the Evans family. I think the Evans' son was called Arnold. At No 61, for a time our front room was taken over by a woman called Yeardley (from Don Road) and used as a hairdressers. Roy Jow lived not far from us, on the opposite side of the road. We later moved to Paget Street, but I never lived in the Newhall area again after some time in late 1951 when we moved to another part of Sheffield. However, I always remember the place with great affection. Some great people lived down there.