Newhall Road and Sanderson Street

Newhall Road had a bus stop at the Attercliffe end and all the kids from Hunstman Gardens School (as well as some other schools I think ?) had to go to either Hadfield House Lane or Hartley Brook Schools for secondary education - and we had to 'bus it'. School uniforms, bus passes - remember coming home with a 'domestic science' effort - some sort of stew thing in a china bowl - well of course with the great drivers and bus suspension I arrived home with half the effort down my dress!

Does anyone remember my mums family, the Whiteleys?

my husband used to get on the bus at the bottom of newhall road to go to hartley brook possibly near to the longley's front door

I also caught the bus to hartley brook there but just opposite the forge pub thats a long time ago lol

Hi toprace my sister knows roy she also went to school with carol and pat longley its a small world lol

my husband used to get on the bus at the bottom of newhall road to go to hartley brook possibly near to the longley's front door

-----------

hi, would that be no 5 bus under the bridge going towards carlisle st

then going on upwell st to southly green. :confused::confused:

no the no5 went to northern general(city general) it was the no1 turned down brightside lane onto upwell st up to page hall then firth park up stuubbin lane round to lane top down to essoldo bus terminus.then walked to hartley brook school

yep I used to get no 1 top of newhall rd then down brightside lane pick up all hartley brook kids . my mate bob batersby got on there but we went to hatfield.

The name Battersby rings a bell - which years was this and what classes were you in - I left in 1962 and my last form class was Mr. Bradbury. There used to be an Art teacher (I think it was Art) but anyway she had long black hair and used to practice singing 'Blue Moon' in a Jazz sort of way at lunch time. There was also a craft teacher who was something like Hungarian and I was useless - he used to look at my work and say 'Oh my dear girl' and shake his head - he had good reason still messy and cannot cut a straight line

there was a carl and david batersby live just off don rd

we left in 69 70 but bob batersby had some older brothers who were at hatfield think Ian was one name .we were in same classes as malc sockett.kenny ball. alec and eric wraith.kevin prior.mick o'niel [blub].gordon tayler [tinker]. ? pashley. geoff edwards.have to get mind in gear for any more. also terry parker spoted his name in another thread.

no the no5 went to northern general(city general) it was the no1 turned down brightside lane onto upwell st up to page hall then firth park up stuubbin lane round to lane top down to essoldo bus terminus.then walked to hartley brook school

----------

Alemap, my sister just told me that no5 bus started from attercliffe rd

and stright down newhall rd under the bridge and up crown hill.

pass grimesthorpe club to firvale and up barnsley rd pass northern genaral

hospital and upto southey green and back, it was a circular bus. :thumbsup::thumbsup::clap: