Job Centre 'Interview'

Unless you're lucky and get one of the few decent clerks, the jobcentre is more about monitoring and administating benefits than trying to help you get a job.

If you refuse to jump through the hoops for whatever reason no matter how good, then computer says no, and it's impossible to get any common sense out of them.

The phrase that most comes to mind in this situation is 'God helps those that help themselves' - so finding a job is down to you.

I'm finding the Job Centre to be a bit of a rubbish process to be honest. For starters, they have language interpreter jobs listed in the Graphic Design category. :loopy:

Everything I've done so far has been from me searching appropriate sites, not what they've done (which is very little.)

Unless you're lucky and get one of the few decent clerks, the jobcentre is more about monitoring and administating benefits than trying to help you get a job.

If you refuse to jump through the hoops for whatever reason no matter how good, then computer says no, and it's impossible to get any common sense out of them.

The phrase that most comes to mind in this situation is 'God helps those that help themselves' - so finding a job is down to you.

I'm not expecting them to hand a job to me on a platter, but I was told the first time I signed on, I'd get an interview to discuss it all, and that was hardly an interview.

I'm not expecting them to hand a job to me on a platter, but I was told the first time I signed on, I'd get an interview to discuss it all, and that was hardly an interview.

Trust me, I'm on your side. Sorry if I didn't give that impression. All I meant was that expecting them to do anything is like waiting for hell to freeze over.

They're unlikely to give you any help, you're just a number.

Everyone I know who has got a job have done it entirely through their own efforts with no help from them.

This is what annoys me about some of the glib posters on forums who seem to think it's so easy. They've no idea until they find themselves at the mercy of organisations like these.

Beware A4e as well.

Good luck.

I once nearly had to have some kind of meeting and face having money stopped because as arranged I was very late for my weekly appointment at the job centre.

In my mind attending a job interview was more relevant and it was slightly ironic that I felt I was getting in trouble for doing so. Especially when I had checked what I should do a few days before!

In which case you'd have got some proof of the interview for when you came in late ;) You are most certainly right though, a job interview is much more important than a jobseeking interview in a Jobcentre. It sounds like the usual checking on the times whern people sign on, and nothing more than normal.

If you ever need to know again in the future, then phone up, explain, and bring some proof of the interview. Nobody would care then.

Do they do ANY checking up or encouraging people to get a job? Or am I working for no reason whatsoever?

I wonder how many people have stopped looking, and when asked saying "its the credit crunch init?".

Yes. Following up job interviews does occur, and longer interviews for people who are out of work for longer periods are routine. Time is incredibly restricted for staff, especially when talking about signing people on, but people do check up 'Labour Market Activity'. The thing is though, unless Jobcentre Plus knows what's happening, they can't accurately check things.

It actually works both ways. I remember interviewing a guy who had been unemployed for a very long time. There were very few records of the fella having applied for anything on the system. It actually turned out (following checks during the interview itself) that he had been looking for stuff.

His system record suggested that he hadn't looked for work, but the reality was that he had, and could prove it! He nearly ended up being harassed as a result. Nice bloke actually.

So, today I went down to the Job Centre to sign on for the first time. Throughout previous proceedings I was told the first trip would be an interview and that they'd talk to me about my career options and what I've done to find work so far. However, 'interview' was the loosest term I could imagine. There was no discussion about my options or qualifications or even her asking me what type of jobs I had been looking for.

This was how it went down:

Woman: *calls my name*

Me: *goes to desk and sits down* Hello.

Woman: Hello, how are you?

Me: Fine, thank you. How are you?

Woman: I'm fine. *gets sheet out of my packet, doesn't even look at the filled in cells of my recent job seeking*

Me: *sits in silence for a few seconds, isn't sure what's happening* Sorry.. I'm not sure what I have to do, this is my first time signing on.

Woman: Well, do you know where to look for jobs?

Me: Yes. *thinks she must want to know more* I sent a job application off this morning.

Woman: Ok. *gives me packet back* Just sign there.

Me: *signs*

Woman: *puts paper away and gives it me back, obviously expecting me to leave now*

Me: *unsure* What about next time?

Woman: ... ?

Me: I don't have a time. I just had an interview date for today

Woman: Oh. *checks packet again, then writes on it* Come in for ten o'clock on (date).

Me: Alright.. *gives up on getting anymore discussion out of her* Thank you, bye.

Can't have taken much more than five minutes. That was my interview? I know it's a quick process in the ensuing weeks to simply 'sign on' but I was told my first time would be so someone could talk to me and discuss my options. Now I just feel like I'm only going down there for the money, and that's not the case at all.

Is this how the first-time interviews normally go? Was I just overeager or expecting too much? :huh: I think I got more conversation out of my bus driver this morning.

(Also, in before haters hate on job seeking graduates and benefit scum.)

No. That shouldn't have been how the first interview should have been conducted. I would report the incident. Senior management like that sort of thing.

Come to think of it, never heard of anyone actually getting a job through job centres.

Set loads on thanks, and so have many others. Actually, most people who make a claim find a job pretty quickly. Please also remember that not everyone who visits a Jobcentre Plus office is a benefit claimant. Some do actually turn up just to look for a job. In fact most people who turn up aren't long term claimants either.

No. Almost all staff who work face-to-face with the people have nothing to do with the administration of benefits at all. They are necessarily a conduit for others to administer them, but they have no real input into what happens with a claim.

At times there is merely a five minute gap for people to sign people on. All comments and questions, especially the constructive ones are more than welcome with the District Manager :D, but please remember that even when junior staff are allowed to have the luxury of a whole ten minutes in a fortnight to truly help people in an official interview, there are another 20150 minutes in that fortnight which can be used for people to use to help people to help staff to again help people.

Hope this helps people.

Edited by happyhippy

To the OP:

You can obviously use a computer. I can also see that you are literate and want to find a job. Well turned out?

Well, you're exactly the kind of person who'll get dragged through the mill. Expect more of the same and then, if you are unfortunate enough to be out of work for some time, the bright sparks at the JC will probably compound your misery by ordering you to A4e.

I've had the same. The JC is awash with barely-literate clients and most of the indigenous clan are the usual suspects - druggies, baseball caps, trackies tucked into white socks. Do they get asked what they've been doing to find a job? Didn't think so.

The money you receive is Job Seekers Allowance. Think of those words. Job. Seekers. Allowance.

Now if, by your own best efforts you can't get a job (and as has been said on this thread, if you can't find anything half-decent, don't expect the JC to), then surely the minimum requirement for receiving JSA is to keep yourself fit, presentable and ready to attend a job interview at the drop of a hat.

I'm sure you do, hence the process you're being dragged through.

So how on earth can the aforementioned people seriously claim to be 'seeking work' when by their very demeanour they wouldn't be capable of applying for a job. But do they get this hassle? If not, why not?

Like so much in the UK, try your very best, keep within the law and be a good citizen and you'll get shafted.

It is interesting reading all the experiences on unemployment. I was unemployed some time back and I was told I would get an extra £10 if I trained with one of these organisations paid by the government to train people.I worked with the homeless for 6 months and after the 6 months the firm sent me a certificate to say I was a qualified STOREMAN.I cannot figure out which are the more stupid the government or the firms they employ.

In which case you'd have got some proof of the interview for when you came in late ;) You are most certainly right though, a job interview is much more important than a jobseeking interview in a Jobcentre. It sounds like the usual checking on the times whern people sign on, and nothing more than normal.

If you ever need to know again in the future, then phone up, explain, and bring some proof of the interview. Nobody would care then.

The conversation with the guy who was telling people which advisor to see was where I had the problem. I had my confirmation of the job interview letter with me and I had checked with the job centre already what I should do.

The guy suggested it shouldn't have taken as long to get from the interview to the job centre and he didn't know if there was anyone I could see now. He then told me I would have to see someone else about missing my allotted time.

To be honest it was probably just someone who was a bit of a jobsworth, he was dressed more like a security guard so not sure what his role was anyway. Just seemed ironic to me that I appeared to have followed all the procedures and I was getting what seems like a telling off for prioritising a job interview over a weekly job centre appointment. Their primary aim is surely to get people back to work after all.

Anyway, I got that job, and between Uni and that job is the only time I have the need to claim job seekers allowance. Touch Wood. So all ended well!

Register your cv on as many job sites as possible monster, total jobs etc and speack to recruitment agencys they get paid big money to get you a job.

Come to think of it, never heard of anyone actually getting a job through job centres.

I did, been in same job for last 10 years now too, so not all that bad

I'm really hoping I don't get shifted into some training place, as it would be unsuitable. I read about it, and it's all stuff I already have qualifications for (like computing and such,) and I doubt it'd help me get a job in a design field. I already did my work for that by getting a degree, I really don't want to be sent back to 'school'.

i just dnt think they give a rats ass!