Hazard perception test.

Hey

Got my theory test tomorrow afternoon and the hazard perception part is confusing me a little. So anyone who has done it can you quickly answer this question;

Are you are supposed to click every time you see something that could potentially be a hazard or only click if that potential hazard causes you to react e.g. slow down?

You click if you see something that might cause you to have to react like somebody at a pedestrian crossing or people between parked cars, oncoming traffic having to move out into your lane to get past an obstruction, cyclists are a clicky because you have to move out to get past them but pedestrians aren't necessarily.

There's no harm in clicking every time you see something that you consider a hazard (things that may cause you to steer, signal or change speed) as long as you don't over-do it and click like a machine gun rat-a-tat-tat. If you do that on any clip the machine will think you are cheating and you will be given "nul points" for the clip!

The ones that score are the developing hazards, so you may see a hazard (a pedestrian walking on the pavement - click = OK but no points awarded) but then the hazard develops (the pedestrian turns his/her shoulders etc to cross the road - at this point, a well-timed click earns 5 points, if you are a little late on the click it's only 4 points and so on.)

Good luck.

cheers mate. i wish the bloody DSA would explain it as clearly as that.

It is explained during the test, watch the intro video just before, it explains it, shows examples etc..

Be Careful, because excessive clicks will cause you to score a 0 on that video.

You can get a CD with practice videos. I used to have one. Helps a bit. Hazard perception is easily the hardest bit of the theory test (still not all that hard, you'll be fine!).

The best advice I can give you is to click the mouse button every time you see a potential hazard. This could be a delivery van outside a high street shop, or a sign warning of school children ahead.

If you were unlucky enough in real life, a mentally unstable pedestrian may run into the middle of the road without warning. However, I advise not to click simply whenever you see a pedestrian, in anticipation of this rare event.

So, to sum up, there's a balance you have to find between acknowledging the overt hazards in your peripheral vision and ignoring the unlikely ones, such as an oncoming car swerving into you, or being overtaken by a souped up Montego driven by Barbara Streisand.

Also - word of warning - you do not control the vehicle in the simulation. I tried to pull off at Threshers, but the DVLA controls where the car goes apparently.

...Good luck!

Hey

Got my theory test tomorrow afternoon and the hazard perception part is confusing me a little. So anyone who has done it can you quickly answer this question;

Are you are supposed to click every time you see something that could potentially be a hazard or only click if that potential hazard causes you to react e.g. slow down?

bl@@dy hell ! Didn't see that question coming !...Ouch!

I had the same questions untill I got the CD, then it all became clear.

If you've got an Android phone there is a free Hazard perception test available. Just go to the Android market and search for 'Hazard Perception'

good luck you will be fine, more about the nerves