Osbourne house burngreave road

I went past here today and wondered what its history was and found this post

So what is happening with this place now? - I guess the current financial climate will not help things change.

I would love to see some pictures of the inside.

I also think that it is sad that we are developing previously undeveloped land when places like this are used but ineffectively

Have you any idea what number Burngreave Road this house is ?

The number is 308 I lived there in the early 70

Hi everyone...Lots of discussion on this childrens home..Im looking for someone that was in care most of his life in sheffield. His name was anthony Higgins.. He was born in 1965... does anyone remember him at all.. pls reply or e mail me at heavenmbmaa@hotmail.com

thank you

Ive replied to this post previous i was in Care 1967 to 1985 i moved to this Childrens home in 1981 after my previous Childrens home shut down. Never in the 18 years i was in Care was i ever in trouble, lots of the lads their were in for different reasons and i said previous when you are in Care you do not get to pick and choose where you live.

Edited by anthon bates
no capital letters

I dont no what it was after the sixties, but in the sixties it was a probation hostel. which some may mistake for a childrens home.

Look like this is getting a re-fit. Looking good from the outside. Wonder what its going to be?

Yes it was a remand homes for boys i knew two that lived there, it is ashame

its run down but someone or the Council will do it up and rehome.

Hey hi I used to live in Osborne house in 1970 the Warden was Mr Sarginson is there any old boys out there still alive and kicking ? 
If so giz a shout .

Regards

Martin Collins 

Hello.. Osborne house 138 Burngreave road pitsmoor was working boys hostel I was there for 16 months in the early 1970 s the warden at the I’m was a Mr Sarginson .at that time it was a very laid back sort of life I was 16 years old like any other walk of life there was rules, if you behaved and followed the rules then it was a good place to be I had 16 brothers in there we all stood together as a team  

I still miss them day’s even in 2020

Martin Collins 

I worked on Osbourne House in 1975 when the Council did a full refurb on it. I worked on the new heating system plus it had complete new electical system, roofing, decorating etc . Shame to see how run down it's become in recent years

We used Osbourne house in 86 as a drop in center.table tennies snooker football day trips Glasgow for a week. Made a 87 break against ex sheff we'd player hew Dowd  at snooker

Edited by X5blushane
Spell

My son was placed here during the week when a social worker managed to get my kids placed in shared care. It was a wonderful building with the most beautiful inglenook fireplace and mosaic floor in the snooker room  My lad didn't fit in because it was full of lads who's hobby was twokking cars and my lad wouldn't have any part of it.