Osbourne house burngreave road

Osbourne House in just above St.Catherines Church but cannot be No 125 Burngreave Rd as they are all even numbers on the right hand side of the road

Quite right-- I now recollect the number as 128. I have just viewed

Osbourne House on Google street level route map - as they say " tempus fugit" what a sorry state it now is in. Will pay a visit up north to the

property later this year. Thanks all.

I pass this building often and I always think its a shame the state it is in. I imagine it must have been very grand at one time - does anyone have any pics of how it looked before it became derelict? Have any of the people who do those "urban exploring" things been in this building? any pics of the inside anyone?

It does seeoma shame that these boxy little new builds are going up everywhere when there are building like this falling apart.

There are lots of rather big, grand looking properties around burngreave and pitsmooe, did this used to be a wealthy area?

i live bang opposite osbourne house its got a roof full of swifts (birds) its got a massive 28 bedrooms it belongs to my landlord but apparently he's ran out of money i dont know what his intensions are but what a beautiful house it was dunno about ghosts probly has and i know its was a naughty boys home cos my partner had a stay there for being a naughty lad the other at the top of shirecliffe lane was shirecliffe lawns a bit if useless information but there you go you should have a look at the house late at night looks i think like something off a horror film maybe stephen king should be notified

I used to work nights at shirecliffe house and it was a very strange place.Noises doors slamming going freezing cold and even the guard dog looked behind me and a mate and cowered then ran off leaving a trail of poo behind and that dog was not scared of anything.And it used to be a very strict boys home as one day i let a film crew in and they did a interview with/about a man who was in it when he was a lad,He was very distraught about the things that went off in there.

.... even the guard dog looked behind me and a mate and cowered then ran off leaving a trail of poo behind ....

that was the dog??

that was the dog??

my mate :hihi:

I think that the house was bequeathed to the Sheffield City Council and was to be used by the community, it was a Children's residential unit before it closed and was sold by the council.

It is an absolute disgrace that the house has been left in such a state and shows the level at which the council show total disregruard for the area.

The house should either be taken back by the council and reopened for its intended purpose, that is; whatever the area needs, or put back on the market.

I often drive past this building too. I also think it should be bought by an invester and used for which ever purpose the community requires it for. So many times companies are building new houses and flats when right under there nose is this prime spot for a major invester this is like a gold mine. Get all the law-breakers doing community service in the grounds and start doing fundraising events to raise a bit of money. Theres all these youths walking round bored rigid because theres nowhere to go when the council can apply to get this building back and turn it in to a youth centre,Playgroup or maybe a community hall. I read on burngreave messenger it has numerous rooms and a lot of original features so why not get all these rooms used even rent rooms for offices

It's in a really bad way, it was sold at auction 4-5 years ago if I remember correctly for about 85k I think. My memory is rubbish tho so don't quote me!

I pass this building often and I always think its a shame the state it is in. I imagine it must have been very grand at one time - does anyone have any pics of how it looked before it became derelict? Have any of the people who do those "urban exploring" things been in this building? any pics of the inside anyone?

It does seeoma shame that these boxy little new builds are going up everywhere when there are building like this falling apart.

There are lots of rather big, grand looking properties around burngreave and pitsmooe, did this used to be a wealthy area?

It certainly was a very prosperous suburb, nerd...

You can see how grand some of the houses must have been 100/150 years ago, in their heyday.

Many rich merchants, and at least a Steel Magnate or two lived in the area.

There are some really beautiful Georgian buildings, opposite Christchurch, Pitsmoor, on Pitsmoor road. The Vicarage to CCP was a magnificent building.

Even the more "ordinary" houses, on the right, as you head up Burngreave road/ Spital hill can be seen to have been magnificent, at one time.

It certainly was a very prosperous suburb, nerd...

You can see how grand some of the houses must have been 100/150 years ago, in their heyday.

Many rich merchants, and at least a Steel Magnate or two lived in the area.

There are some really beautiful Georgian buildings, opposite Christchurch, Pitsmoor, on Pitsmoor road. The Vicarage to CCP was a magnificent building.

Even the more "ordinary" houses, on the right, as you head up Burngreave road/ Spital hill can be seen to have been magnificent, at one time.

Yes, there are some gorgeous looking houses round here. I wonder what went so wrong, and when? I came along Burngreave road (I think thats what its called - past abbeyfield park going towards town) with my Granddad once, who lives in London. He wa saying that houses like the ones round here would go for millions if they were in or near London! I showed him some houses for sale in the area (at the time) on Rightmove and he was shocked by how (comparatively) cheap they were in this area. They are cheap even for Sheffield.

These areas prospered during the industrial revolution when the works owners wanted to be located close to their factories along Don Valley/Penistone Road together with the workers hence the mixed housing. As transport got better and the air quality got worse they moved further away from the dirt, grime and smog created by the factories and across town to the south west closer to open countryside and fresher air.