Who is highest ranking taekwondo person in south yorkshire

Hello All

I have read this thread having 'googled' Taekwondo and felt compelled to respond.

Tony should really by a 9th Dan,,,several years ago, but fell out with most of the beuracrats in charge of the governing bodies at some stage.....including his friend Fred Lee....as such he was never officially (Kukkiwon) recognised as a 9th Dan....however, I firmly believe as an entire body we should give him the title regardless......perhaps the ultimate honour of 10th Dan!

Glad you did because it brought back a couple of nice memories.

I was training under Andy Kennedy in Mex at that time so remember the kerfuddle but it all turned out well.

Master Quigley was a great influence on me as was Andy who was about 50 at the time.

I recall an early session while I was still very low ranking where we had to stand with a front kick held out at mid section. From there we had to bend the knee of our standing leg until our heel came to our arse, then stand up again.

There was I, half of Andy's age, struggling to do it.

I looked into his eyes and decided no bloke twice my age was going to beat me so I ruddy well did it.

Killed me but I was buggered if he was going to better me. That's the sort of bloke Andy was, he made you want to do it.

Fantastic teacher as was Tony.

Blimey....the training in those days was 'hardcore'..probably get sued nowadays..I remember being sat down with the soles of my feet together trying to push my knees down......with someone stood on my knees forcing them down!!!

The destruction was also top rate....I read the BTCB syllabus yesterday.....2" destruction.....for 7th Dan!!! I was doing that at 17 for my 2nd Dan......it then stopped for years.....I guess due to injury......I used to hate holding the wood as you knew someone would be going max power and little accuracy.....enough to always strike your fingers though!!! I heard that there were a few injuries from the wood/tiles breaking on the striker.....Tony used to ask if you used your hands for work....if so you had to do a foot technique....he also insisted that adult Black Belts could chop a brick.....never mind Masters....4th Dan in those days....I wonder how many could or would even dare to break a brick these days?

I suppose safety should always be a priority.....but it does seem to have gone abit far.

Nice that you responded....Thanks

Edited by RobWenban

I trained under Gary Sykes at Doncaster many years ago, nice bloke.

He took the GB TKD to Seoul Olympics in 1988, when he came back he had loads of new intresting ideas.. dont think i have been any fitter since then !

haha...yes he's still going..at the Dome and around Doncaster throughout the week..Sarah Stevenson is a direct result of his coaching.....fantastic coach!

Roy Kilner Master HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Unscarred83

This is how it went down.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMS4t1km7g

Andrew Hill is the Master -make no mistake and also the best teacher for your kids -ever!

Sign him up......

At WTF/KUKKIWON Style Taekwondo the ones I know

Andy Hill Sheffield 6th Dan

Mike McKenzie Rotherham 6th Dan

Kathy Hook 6th Dan Doncaster

Gary Sykes 6th Dan Doncaster

These are all registered at Kukkiwon.

Thats correct, but Master McKenzie is now 7th Dan

Blimey....the training in those days was ....he also insisted that adult Black Belts could chop a brick.....never mind Masters....4th Dan in those days....I wonder how many could or would even dare to break a brick these days?

I suppose safety should always be a priority.....but it does seem to have gone abit far.

Sorry to come so late to this thread - don't know if anyone is still following but I just wnated to add a couple of things.

RobWenban, in you previous post you said that GM Rhee Ki Ha was based in the USA which is incorrect. He has lived in the UK ever since 1967 when he founded the UKTA. He currently lives in Glasgow.

I am a member of the UKTA and have practiced TKD for 28 years. We still break bricks at first Dan gradings. :)

Sorry to necro-post.

About this "Grand Master Siddall", He showed up with his MST Academy school last year to a Gala in Hoyland just outside Barnsley when I was doing a shooting range with Jujitsu demonstration.

I couldn't help but laugh at both the normal version and freestyle Taekwondo that is taught at MST.

Malcom Siddall did a brief history of Taekwondo including how apparently Korea sent Assasins to Germany to assasinate German officers during the Second World War using purely taekwondo.

He also claimed that the Parachute regiment and SAS use taekwondo (Bad move if you ask me, the announcer for the gala was ex-2 Para, and My Father was 63 Signals Squadron (SAS) TAVR) and neither of them recalled learning Taekwondo.

Now the demonstrations for Iaido were fine, but his taekwondo and freestyle were pretty dangerously carried out. For example; when you do a rice bale throw as part of a demonstration you do not actually throw them around the neck, unless you are actually being attacked. Also, the lock's and holds were very sloppy.

Now I have a lot of respect for Martial Artists, but when someone carries out Techniques which are designed for the purpose of breaking someones neck, and it isn't performed safetly, then why the hell is he still teaching?

Excuse me for my rant but he seriously can't be up to scratch on health and safety.:thumbsup: