Who is highest ranking taekwondo person in south yorkshire

Truthfully, only what I was told. No offence intended.

No your quite right sissi - from what i know the lau gar squad had to pay their own way but the TAGB squad had most if not all their expenses paid for them, hence thayts why he liked the way the TAGB treated its fighters, so he moved over, but dont take my word for it look him up on the internet and ask him.

:)

I train with Master Roy Kilner 7th Dan at Lee Chee Kin @ Mexborough.

We ARE the British Taekwondo Association with Master Roy as the President with Supreme Grandmaster Tony Quigley as our founder.

We have a number of high ranking black belts including former British National Team members Paul & Darren Kilner, right down to junior white belts.

We train twice a week & Master Roy insists that TKD is for Soul & not for profit, therefore our costs are very low and everyone becomes family.

I personally was double graded from green to blue by GM Tony Quigley in September 2009, and though the GM is in India at the moment, when I grade on Saturday, I hope I can do him proud.

BTA grading Saturday 05.12.09 12 noon Mexborough

all kup grades

sorry to rain on your parade but roy kilner has never been a true black belt. he wore a black belt when he was actually a yellow belt. he certainly is not a true 7th dan.

i have every ounce of respect for Tony Quigley. he is a truly brilliant guy and a true master of taekwondo.

Master.....GrandMaster.....Supreme Grandmaster. Do Darth Vader & Obiwan Kenobi train with you lot?

If you think what you write, why is GM Roy Kilner the ONLY student of Tony Quigley? Why is Roy Kilner the President of the British Taekwondo Association (the oldest & original UK club)& why is Tony Quigley n all being approached by Sport England re fasttrack for 2012??

I am a little 'green behind the ears' regarding lineage but am led to believe there are a few people on here that dis other Masters regarding their past. What matters is now & what the Students think. I personally think RK is a good man with a great heart. The club still maintains it is not a wage earner for the GM, a family atmosphere gives us a wide age group and belt abiliities & the BTA receives numerous clubs on a regular basis wishing to join the Association.

We also have affiliates in other sports from WAKO & BJJKF.

I wish you all the best with your TKD training. Regarding the BTA: It could be argued that this organisation has little status in modern british taekwondo. I remember it being quite large around 1985 -86. These days it seems to exist in spirit more than anything else.

It is worth pointing out that the BTA is not part of Btcb, or the British Taekwondo council, and therefore is not linked to UK sport to my knowledge. Although this does not necessarily mean your club is any less relevant than a club within the govening body.

Regards fast-track for 2012?: please explain more. I cannot see that an independent club in mexborough has been approached by UK sport regarding the development of british prospects for the 2012 olympics. There are contentious issues within british TKD - But this is a stonewall fact: the british taekwondo association has absolutely nothing to do with 2012 olympic taekwondo.

Kind Regards.

mode101

I wish you all the best with your TKD training. Regarding the BTA: It could be argued that this organisation has little status in modern british taekwondo. I remember it being quite large around 1985 -86. These days it seems to exist in spirit more than anything else.

It is worth pointing out that the BTA is not part of Btcb, or the British Taekwondo council, and therefore is not linked to UK sport to my knowledge. Although this does not necessarily mean your club is any less relevant than a club within the govening body.

Regards fast-track for 2012?: please explain more. I cannot see that an independent club in mexborough has been approached by UK sport regarding the development of british prospects for the 2012 olympics. There are contentious issues within british TKD - But this is a stonewall fact: the british taekwondo association has absolutely nothing to do with 2012 olympic taekwondo.

Kind Regards.

mode101

Mode101 in answer to your questions/comments:

1. We choose to be part of BTA because we disagree with the cost & 'for profit' way the BTCB & Sport England operate. We have many students who could probably quite easily become Champions, but due to the costs involved, it is beyond many peoples reaches. Quite a few Champions past & present have been part of the BTA at some stage.

2. It is Tony Quigley, not the club nor organisation that Sport England are interested in for 2012. Most Masters out there would confirm that his input would be invaluable for sucess in our own Olympic quest.

The BTA has dwindled over the last decade or so, but many clubs are looking to return or affiliate again with us. This could be down to many facts:

1. costs (how much to grade with BTCB, let alone train?)

2. family values (we encourage all age groups & not just for competition)

3. traditionalism (many clubs now just want to win competitions & not learn the core values of the art).

My Son who is 8 and due for blackbelt in March 2010 has grown in stature & knowledge since moving to this club, inspired me to change Arts & train myself with Lee Chee Kin. I am 42,overweight & suffer with arthritus.I personally have learnt a lot, learned to respect & understand what I beleive to be the real reason behind the Art.

I will not belittle anybody,any club or Association and I wish everybody success in whatever they wish to achieve. I have achieved so much more than I thought I could ever training under Master Roy Kilner & the BTA that I am truly thankful & could not repay enough.

Merry Christmas All.

Mode101 in answer to your questions/comments:

1. We choose to be part of BTA because we disagree with the cost & 'for profit' way the BTCB & Sport England operate. We have many students who could probably quite easily become Champions, but due to the costs involved, it is beyond many peoples reaches. Quite a few Champions past & present have been part of the BTA at some stage.

2. It is Tony Quigley, not the club nor organisation that Sport England are interested in for 2012. Most Masters out there would confirm that his input would be invaluable for sucess in our own Olympic quest.

The BTA has dwindled over the last decade or so, but many clubs are looking to return or affiliate again with us. This could be down to many facts:

1. costs (how much to grade with BTCB, let alone train?)

2. family values (we encourage all age groups & not just for competition)

3. traditionalism (many clubs now just want to win competitions & not learn the core values of the art).

My Son who is 8 and due for blackbelt in March 2010 has grown in stature & knowledge since moving to this club, inspired me to change Arts & train myself with Lee Chee Kin. I am 42,overweight & suffer with arthritus.I personally have learnt a lot, learned to respect & understand what I beleive to be the real reason behind the Art.

I will not belittle anybody,any club or Association and I wish everybody success in whatever they wish to achieve. I have achieved so much more than I thought I could ever training under Master Roy Kilner & the BTA that I am truly thankful & could not repay enough.

Merry Christmas All.

Thats really good that is.

Anyway, which Taekwondo style is more effective in a combat situation? ITF style or WTF style?

i would struggle to believe that Roy is the only student of GM Quigley, i can think of others. nor am i sure that GM Quigley agrees with the changes made to Taekwondo by the Kukkiwon so i cant see what he would add to UK Sport for the 2012 Olympics. i personally believe that GM Quigley should have his place sat with the judges in the Olympics.

its good that you have achieved great things from Taekwondo. thats what it is all about. it is a sport for all.

i dont think either ITF or WTF are effective fighting styles for street fighting. i think a mix of both would be better.

i dont think either ITF or WTF are effective fighting styles for street fighting. i think a mix of both would be better.

I think learning to grapple would be better.

I used to train in Wing Chun as this suited my leg/knee problems due to minimal kicks. Weight was never a disadvantage & sometimes was an advantage as more awkward to put down. My Sifu wsa from the Ian Orr/Robert Chueng line which went back via Bruce Lee & Ip Man.

The Art was adapted to incorporate more body structure by Alan Orr & Aikido & BJJ mixed in to be the ultimate close combat Art, for competion,streetfighting or self defence. Alan Orr also formed a MMA team Iron Wolves for competition & now fights under the banner of Xth Legion.

Unfortunately I had to stop. 1 through illness, 2 cos I was getting the *****e kicked out of me regularly!!!

I find TKD is good for me, but I cant last much more than 5 minutes sparring before I am too knackered!!!!!

Edited by markas1
misspelt name