Putting hot water on in your house.

Hello people excuse my dimness but you have been quite helpful over the years. On average how much you you put the hot water on a day in your house? We (2 people in a 2 bedroomed house) have it on a timer between 12 - 1pm. Then 5 - 830pm.

Would you say this is to much?

Thanks for your help

Edited by *Ryan*

Shower in the morning, pots in the evening, wash hands after the loo ie: not a lot as we have a combi boiler. Hot water on demand.

We've got a combi boiler now, but prior to that, I think our hot water only used to take about an hour max to heat up, so at night I'd run a bath (which would drain the hot water) and then during the time that I was in the bath, it would be heating up again for my OH to have one.

I'd guess you could perhaps knock an hour off your evening setting dependant on what time you shower/bathe.

Once the water in the hot water tank, if you have that type of system, is hot enough, then the thermostat will shut the boiler down, only firing it up if the temp drops again below a set level, so not making much difference if you have it on for a few hours or all day.

When I say boiler, I also include immersion elements in that if you are all electric.

If you have an on-demand system - combi boiler - then it only heats water as you use it, so makes no difference.

If im in the house ta the weekend i normaly have it on all day and nite. Im terrible i hate waiting for water to heat up. If im not in its not on. I maybe have it on for about 3 hours in the nite but only for the tea time pots and a bath.

Have a combi boiler so it's never on, turn the taps and wait and I get hot water :)

I have it on for a hour in the morning then i put it on for a hour after tea, there is 2 of us and there is enough hot water for both of us to have a bath.

Once the water in the hot water tank, if you have that type of system, is hot enough, then the thermostat will shut the boiler down, only firing it up if the temp drops again below a set level, so not making much difference if you have it on for a few hours or all day.

When I say boiler, I also include immersion elements in that if you are all electric.

If you have an on-demand system - combi boiler - then it only heats water as you use it, so makes no difference.

Just a thought if folks have a thermostat 'managing' the hot water temp on the cylinder - the 1st thing I did when we had kids was to set this at 30 degrees - this proved more than hot enough for baths, pots etc and most important of all stopped at a stroke any chance of accidental scalding in full baths / under taps etc! Saved a load of money and energy too. Food for thought??

I have it on for a hour in the morning then i put it on for a hour after tea, there is 2 of us and there is enough hot water for both of us to have a bath.

Sounds about right ill give that a whirl.