What is it really like in Nether Green?

We are thinking about moving to Nether Green this summer - There seem to be lots of good things about the area, lovely parks, good schools, close to Eccy Rd and Broomhill (where we can't afford to live!) , nice vibe generally - but we'd love to get some opinions from people who are already there about what it's really like to live in Nether Green.

Walking round today (Sunday) we were a bit worried about the number of shops that seem to be closing down or closed (maybe thanks to the awful Tesco Express?). Also slightly concerned about the lack of a 'focus' to the place - Is there much community activity/stuff going on? We are in our late 30s with a young family and are just worried that it is a bit of a commuter area that's potentially dead esp. during the weekdays.

Thanks for any help

Guest NicolaE

My auntie lives opposite the tesco's, at first she hated it but now I think they find it quite useful! Up that area theres the rising sun pub which is a nice friendly place, and the local schools will probably have fairs etc. However, most of the action is further down around Endcliffe park. This isn't too far away though, and there are lots of families around the Nethergreen area for your kids to play with! It's a nice handy area to live, and theres not a lot of trouble. Your kids will be safe playing outside and there are very few problems with groups of kids and burglers. There are scout and guide groups locally, and Broomhill is a short bus ride away.

Where I live there isn't very much of a community spirit at all, and Nethergreen may not have a community focused area like Endcliffe park or Ecclesall road but it's close enough to make it a good place to live! It also has v good schools!

We spent a year in Nether Green till recently.

Its really really dull, in our opinion.

Theres naff all to walk to with kids, you need the car.

Sure Forge Dam and Whitely Woods are close but try punting two kids under three back home up Nether Green road on your own and you'll understand how difficult it is.

Hangingwater shops are adequate at best, pretty much all there thats useful is the posties and the chemist.

Tesco on Fulwood Road is actually quite useful though - even if it has (probably) closed down all the shops nearby :)

The school is highly regarded - thats probably all you need to know isnt it?

We found Nether Green just a bit dull and lifeless.

Cheers

d

It's one of my favourite areas in Sheffield and (I think) a great place to live. The infants and junior schools are amongst Sheffield's best and you are in the catchment areas for good senior schools. Most of the community type stuff happens around the schools but there seems to be a friendly atmosphere generally - the Post Office and Oakbrook Deli are both good friendly shops. I'm sure Tescos Express will have had a damaging affect on businesses in Nether Green, Ranmoor and Fulwood. You couldn't be closer to Endcliffe Park and beautiful walks out into the Peak District. You are also within walking distance of Ecclesall Road and Broomhill without having the incovenience of living in them. I can't say I've noticed the house prices being much chepaer than Broomhill, but there may be a better supply of slighlty smaller (say, 3 bedroom) houses.

I hope you enjoy yourselves if you do move to Nether Green.

It gets my thumbs up, certainly. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by t020

It gets my thumbs up, certainly. :thumbsup:

t020 - this is an amazingly short post of yours! Come on now, let's have some reasons for your thumbs up! (I promise not to challenge them, honest!). :smile:

Originally posted by redrobbo

t020 - this is an amazingly short post of yours! Come on now, let's have some reasons for your thumbs up! (I promise not to challenge them, honest!). :smile:

I'd thought it all through when clicking the topic title but it seems everyone else has beaten me to it. :(

To summarise though:

- Endcliffe Park nearby

- Forge Dam

- Whitely Woods

- Leafy roads

- nice surrounding suburbs

- proximity to Ecclesall Road

- low crime