Driving in France

Whereabouts are you going - I've camped at Villereal - about 20km south of Bergerac - 3 or 4 times.

Lovely area.

We have booked a cottage in a village called Plaisance, around 20km south of Bergerac. Currently swatting up on the area on the off chance that we venture out of the pool during the week we are there!

That's a myth - I've often averaged over 90 mph between toll booths and never been done for speeding.

You're not done for speeding automatically...

Only if the cops are waiting and checking tickets.

MY hubby has never been done for speeding on the autoroute, and he drives fast, and he comes down see us in france every other weekend.

I've never heard about the dropping the speed limit for the school holidays, but they do drop it to 110 when its raining.

You can pay with a card on the Autoroute, or you can pay cash, but a card is easier. Just make sure your passenger is awake in time, because the pay machine will be on the opposite side of the car to the driver.

Have a great holiday, France is a beautiful country.

Vanessa

xx

i did a tour around france a couple of years ago. to be honest, it's dead easy to drive over there once you're used to it and it doesn't take long to start feeling comfortable imo. i never experienced any crazy french driving whilst i was there (no worse than what you get over here anyway)

i took a spare set of bulbs, a safety warning triangle, and applied the headlight converters. i also disabled the tomtom speed camera alerts. after doing lot's of reading, i decided that the fire extinguisher and the refective jacket wasn't necessary (i know there are loads of web sites which state it's a legal requirement, but there are also plenty of sites that say it's overkill and you don't need them)

obviously ensure you sought your insurance and break down cover

that's it! no problems. have a great time :)

You can pay with a card on the Autoroute, or you can pay cash, but a card is easier. Just make sure your passenger is awake in time, because the pay machine will be on the opposite side of the car to the driver.

xx

Oh yes. Forgot about that - will have to make sure she doesn't snooze approaching the toll!

after doing lot's of reading, i decided that the fire extinguisher and the refective jacket wasn't necessary (i know there are loads of web sites which state it's a legal requirement, but there are also plenty of sites that say it's overkill and you don't need them)

According to all the websites I have come across the Hi-Vis vest is a legal requirement and have to be in the car not the boot. I'll buy 'em, chuck 'em in the car and leave them all wrapped up in the hope I don't need them!

Will disable my Speed camera alerts on the Tom Tom. I assume that they would check if you got pulled? Tech savvy gendarmes eh?

We have booked a cottage in a village called Plaisance, around 20km south of Bergerac. Currently swatting up on the area on the off chance that we venture out of the pool during the week we are there!

I'd recommend the Sunday market in Isseagac and Chateau Biron as places worth a visit. Monpazier and Villereal are interesting examples of "bastides" - fortified towns from the 100 years war.

The local wines are very good indeed - Bergerac (red) and Cotes du Duras (white). If you really want to impress the locals (and you like strong, full bodied reds) go for Perchamant or Cahors. Monbazillac is also excellent - a "sweet" white wine but more licquorice than sugar - needs to be served very cold. A good aperitif or with pate or blue cheese.

Re: the yellow jackets - do as the French do - put it over the back of the drivers seat - got me a thumbs up from the gendarmes last year.

If you like France and want to try the real Dordogne next year - ie right in the heart of the place and bang on the banks of the river, worth looking at one of the gites on the link below.

http://www.labouysse.com/

Went last year and we'll be there again in three weeks - can't wait.

Enjoy your holiday!

According to all the websites I have come across the Hi-Vis vest is a legal requirement and have to be in the car not the boot. I'll buy 'em, chuck 'em in the car and leave them all wrapped up in the hope I don't need them!

Will disable my Speed camera alerts on the Tom Tom. I assume that they would check if you got pulled? Tech savvy gendarmes eh?

It is indeed a legal requirement, most drivers over here, Including me, have it hung over the drivers seat. That way you can be seen to have it in your car, without it getting in the way all of the time.

Vanessa

as i said before, there are numerous web sites that don't mention them. for example, a quick google returns this one in the first few results http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/sophiebutler/5757651/Travel-advice-tips-for-driving-in-France.html

there's no mention of a vest, and i would take the telegraph as a reasonable source of information. i can't imagine that they'd forget to tell you about something so important

anyway, to be honest i don't know if it's a legal requirement or not as there seems to be mixed info online. i'm just pointing out that it's not set in stone on every web site. i guess if you're worried about it then just buy one

Edited by paranoid

as i said before, there are numerous web sites that don't mention them. for example, a quick google returns this one in the first few results http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/sophiebutler/5757651/Travel-advice-tips-for-driving-in-France.html

there's no mention of a vest, and i would take the telegraph as a reasonable source of information. i can't imagine that they'd forget to tell you about something so important

anyway, to be honest i don't know if it's a legal requirement or not as there seems to be mixed info online. i'm just pointing out that it's not set in stone on every web site. i guess if you're worried about it then just buy one

I can tell you that it IS a legal requirement.

I can tell you that it IS a legal requirement.

that's absolutely fine. i'm just saying that it's not entirely clear. i didn't take one and i was ok, but i never got asked by the police to be fair

i noticed that the following items came up time and time again on every web site: headlamp deflectors, GB badge or EU plates, warning triangle, and spare bulbs

I don't know what the law is, but logically, why should you need GB stickers in France? Even If the French cops were too thick to recognise the different plates of EU countries, you'd think the steering wheel on the right hand side would give it away, Speaking of which, I got stopped in Spain by the Guardia Civil, who approached the passenger side and asked my mate for his driving license, which he duly provided. The copper inspected it and handed it back, without ever once realising that he wasn't talking to the driver.