Going on holiday with a 1 year old and no car.

So.. Hello everyone :)

We're going on holiday to Scotland for christmas (yes I know, long time away :hihi: ) But neither of us drive. There will be just the three of us - what do we do about a carseat. Obviously we will need one, but Tegan is in a Stage 1 carseat now and we can't really carry a carseat round with us everywhere we go.. Can we? Just wanted a bit of advice from people who've btdt.

Thankyou :)

why do you need one if you have no car? how are you getting there?

Getting there by coach.. On which she will need a carseat (we have a carseat, we use taxis a lot) and we will be needing to use taxis a lot whilst we're there.. do taxi companies have carseats? I don't know.. Lol Its such a pain in the bum :(

some of the better taxis have car seats but mainly for airport trips etc. do you have a travel system? that way you could carry the car seat around with you without literally carrying it. and at 1 year old they're safer in the carry car seats anyway.

Getting there by coach.. On which she will need a carseat (we have a carseat, we use taxis a lot) and we will be needing to use taxis a lot whilst we're there.. do taxi companies have carseats? I don't know.. Lol Its such a pain in the bum :(
Not as much of a pain in the bum as visiting a toddler with a broken neck in hospital though.

Not as much of a pain in the bum as visiting a toddler with a broken neck in hospital though.

Uhm... I never said I intended on not using one did I? I value my daughters life VERY highly, a lot more highly than most people do, especially since she is disabled and I get to visit her in hospital VERY often thankyou very much. :rant:

Ok back to the point.

Yeah we have a travel system, the only thing is she will be 18 months old by christmas, sorry I forgot to point that bit out :) She is only small, but she isn't *that* small so I doubt she will even fit in it by then :(

Uhm... I never said I intended on not using one did I? I value my daughters life VERY highly, a lot more highly than most people do, especially since she is disabled and I get to visit her in hospital VERY often thankyou very much. :rant:

Ok back to the point.

Yeah we have a travel system, the only thing is she will be 18 months old by christmas, sorry I forgot to point that bit out :) She is only small, but she isn't *that* small so I doubt she will even fit in it by then :(

If you see child seats as a good thing, why do you grumble so much then?

I'm not grumbling... I was asking if people thought taxi companies had carseats??

Have you actually seen the size of a group 1 carseat? Do you have any idea of the amount of equipment I'll be carrying to keep my child healthy? I was thinking - maybe I could use our carseat on the coach, and then use the taxi companies one (if they had them) to take us places once we were there and leave ours in the place we are staying, so we're not carrying a huge carseat around with everything else.

perhaps if you can find a nice taxi company they may be able to keep your seat and make sure they're always the ones to pick you up. not sure if they would just an idea.

I know what you mean, your thinking that by then she will be needing to use the next stage carseat.

I have the same problem. I don't drive and if I want to go anywhere its either by bus or tram. But if I am going anywhere and its likely that I will get driven home either by taxi or friend then I have to take the carseat with me. its a royal pain having a toddler, pram or reigns and then having a huge maxi cosi car seat.

I haven't heard of any taxi companies round here that have car seats 'pre installed' or not that are suitable for loan. only the airport company ones that have already been sugested.

to be honest, would you trust their safety anyway? how would you know if it had been dropped or not been in accident? I think the only way around and I truly sympathise believe me is to take your car seat with you.

My sister lives in edinburgh and they have the best bus network ever. she swears by it. maximum journey cost is £1.20 and they are very frequent. I was up there last december and if it wasnt for my dd been very ill (she became ill once we got there) we would have been out and about and left the car at the hotel and got on the bus.

might be worth a consideration!! then you could leave your carseat safe in the hotel/place your staying

other than that ems idea?!?

We'll be walking most places - we're going to Aviemore, from December 21st to December 28th.. So literally over xmas. I was just thinking if we need to go to a supermarket or sightseeing etc. Thanks for your reply flutterbyes x

Hi there,

I was under the impression that the national express only had lap belts so i did a bit of digging around on your behalf and found this on the national express website

"Can I take my child's car seat on the coach?

Due to health and safety issues, we are currently unable to allow babies to travel in car seats on our services. As most of our coaches are only fitted with lap belts and not the three-point belts required, we are unable to guarantee child seats will be secure and in accordance with the fitting instructions. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we believe the safety of a child far outweighs any other considerations. We are working with manufacturers to find a solution and we hope you will be able to travel with us very soon."

But, If you still want to take a car seat with you to use whilst you are there, have you thought about a more light weight version of the stage 2 car seat? I think they are referred to as high back boosters? I look after a toddler and he has been in this car seat since he was about 18 months old. Its really light weight and is suitable 9 months til 11 years. Its quite pricey but there are cheaper versions on the market.

http://www.mothercare.com/Britax-Evolva-1-2-3-Plus-149-99/dp/B002BXL7FQ/sr=1-1/qid=1249202258/ref=sr_1_1/278-6506718-0641967?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44453031&mcb=core

I hope this helps :)