Stabbing on Fargate

In the 40's and 50's, knife fighting was the norm? Have to say when I was a kid we were back to fists, guess it's a scene thing???

Teddy Boys with flick knives and cut throat razors - until the 1953 Offensive Weapons Act clamped down on that.

You couldn't make it up! :hihi:

Sounded perfectly reasonable to me to be honest.

Teddy Boys with flick knives and cut throat razors - until the 1953 Offensive Weapons Act clamped down on that.

Blob, what is that act and why is it not being enforced now?

police tooo tied upin paper work and too scared to stop and search

Sounded perfectly reasonable to me to be honest.

Thank you - I thought so too.:)

Just intersting to note, that a thread about a stabbing in Fargate, has now turned into a full scale discussion about the rights/wrongs and causes of street crime! :roll:

Does anyone actually know how the injured lad is faring? :huh:

Just intersting to note, that a thread about a stabbing in Fargate, has now turned into a full scale discussion about the rights/wrongs and causes of street crime! :roll:

Does anyone actually know how the injured lad is faring? :huh:

According to the Star his condition has improved a lot overnight and he is now out of danger.

The reason the law and teachers are as you put it "all but useless at disciplining" is because the they are not allowed to do anything to them. I am not saying give them a good hiding but there needs to be discipline brought back into society. When I was a kid you were scared stiff of the local copper on his bike if you were seen doing anything wrong they would call in and tell your parents. Now a kid will tell teachers to F off and they will get taken out of the lesson which is just what they want.

But if the local bobby went and told kids parents what they were up to there are some parents these days who would t*** the bobby for grassing them up!

It is interesting and some of the ideas put forward on this thread are interesting but I still keep wondering why the type of violence we are talking about is happening in Sheffield now. Here's my theory:

Working class communities have never been perfect and crime-free but I think recently something has changed. Upthread Melthebell suggested that violence in and around McDonald's may be more to do with the type of people who like McDonald's rather than something in the food and that makes sense to me because McDonald's has thousands of branches and millions of customers around the world and they're not all urban war zones where everyone is fighting.

I think it is to do chavs, although "chav" is just a recent word for a type of person who was existed for a long time and previously they were called a "townie" or "scally" or (in Manchester in the 1870's) "scuttler". I think it's to do with people who don't really care about strangers, their neighbours, their friends (although they sometimes form gangs so they have safety in numbers) or even their families: they only care about themselves and their greed and their ego. If someone doesn't like something they do they don't care, if they want something they take it and if someone disrespects them they escalate the situation. This can be seen in anti-social behaviour, property crime and the use of extreme violence.

I think it's happening in Sheffield now because of a recent decline in working class solidarity. In other Northern cities with a less strong tradition of working class solidarity such as Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and Liverpool that process started earlier (in the case of Leeds and Bradford it started before the Thatcher era and helped get Thatcher elected) so Sheffield is at least a generation behind them and it doesn't have as many rough areas as those places and the rough areas aren't as rough but Sheffield is catching up and the postcode gang culture means that it is catching up fast. I don't know whether or not this process can be reversed (especially if people want to live up a stereotype of a bad boy) but I don't think bringing in new laws, giving out longer prison sentences and making prison conditions harsher will make much difference if the basic problem is that some people are so self-centred that they would stab or shoot someone over a petty personal argument.

If you step back from the media and look, as some have suggested, this is nothing new. Gun crime will be next weeks hot topic. The problem really is to do with 24/7 media creating panic / worry when breaking news is mandella taking a dump they have to go over and over the same topics in a cycle.

Don't panic, sit back and live life, you wont get stabbed, shot, robbed, killed tomorrow altho you will get taxed to death, worry about that instead.

Utter B****cks. Are you angry because you got caught with a little bit of spliff and the police told Mummy and Daddy. What is my 'hidden agenda'? Shoplifting knickers from Marks and Sparks? You ned to calm down mate.

The opinions in this thread without any justification show how thick most people are in this city and this country. Its sad everyone is entitled to their "opinion," when they base it on little fact and use it to push their own prejudices.