The massive crater.

Edited by this_life

So thats where that UFO landed the other week I know it was flying low. LOL

If it's been abandoned, they've forgotten to take their mechanical digger truck thing (technical term) away, must be worth a fortune yet it seems to have been sat there for months.

mechanical digger truck thing (technical term)

I refer to them all generically as "JCBs," even though I'm sure other companies must make them.

I refer to them all generically as "JCBs," even though I'm sure other companies must make them.

I bet you call a public address system a tannoy as well, and "hoover up".

When they built the arts tower they discovered as they dug the foundations old long forgotten mine workings and gaping chasms in the ground and so had to dig it out more and more before pumping in an awful lot of concrete, maybe this foundation hole has come across the same sort of problems.

The site used to be a factory when I started at uni. I think it was British Glass. It was closed and there was a rumour that it had been bought by a certain well known (if not infamous) Sheffield person. I have been told that they had permission to build 8 flats on the site but started to build a much bigger block with an underground car park without going through the proper channels. Consequently the building was stopped and has been like that for about 4 years. I'm sure anyone who is more motivated than me could look at the planning history on the council website.

When they built the arts tower they discovered as they dug the foundations old long forgotten mine workings and gaping chasms in the ground and so had to dig it out more and more before pumping in an awful lot of concrete, maybe this foundation hole has come across the same sort of problems.

Wow............................................................

I bet you call a public address system a tannoy as well, and "hoover up".

I do, although I'm aware that Hoover is a brand name that's been hijacked by the generic instrument. Is tannoy another such? I wouldn't have known that.

And yes, it can lead to ludicrous inconsistencies such as "Which company makes that brand of JCB, then?"

i did warn my wife about haveing a curry and takeing dog for a walk

am sure glad she didnt fart in house

No. A number of years ago (Three Degrees were on at the Fiesta) Northumberland Road was straight and level with its surroundings. Indeed, there were shiny railings on the southern side which overlooked Crookes Valley boating lake and it gave a most wonderful vista of folk spending their Saturday afternoons rowing - that is, with oars and not strangling each other - on the lake and youths fishing quietly on the banks.

It was so level, DIYers and tradesmen in the region used to check their spirit levels by it.

But then it started to bow, that is, sink in the middle and over the next two decades and with the increase in students walking and driving and drinking along it, it got worse and worse. Typically, our council was not prepared to mend the problem, ticking it off as 'just another pot hole' on its list of 'to-dos'.

The road is now like a BMX or skateboard park, where one can jump off at one end and speed down to the opposite end without the need to pedal or push. It's become an attraction in its own right. But the council is not keen on this, classing the road as a rat-run so is in the process of putting some speed-humps, chicanes and red-lights along the stretch.

Thinking this will deter everyone, there are posters going up in student accommodation and in their bars, which will be like a red rag to a (red?) bull. Sheffield will have a new attraction: Northumberland Road Dip.

Cheaper than a day in Blackpool and probably not as smelly.