Arbourthorne road? Is it really that bad?

Originally posted by caprice

I'm glad things aren't getting personal huh... Anyone would think

I was the only one who held this view :loopy:

At the end of the day, you must like it enough to stay there, which is fine by me. (If it was that much of a hell hole, why would ANYONE live there?!) I wouldn't want to live there, it doesn't suit my lifestyle and is not and does not have the location/area/clientele that I am looking for when choosing where to live.

Oxford Ally may well decide to move there, which would be fine by me. But if I were moving to a new area, I'd want to hear ALL the views, good and bad.

Now you might see how easy it is to dig a hole just by expressing an opinion and trying to help someone out with your advice?

Excuse me! Before everybody forces each other to take sides here :mad:

I have not derided the residents of the Arborthorne, or Southerners, merely acknowledged the fact that the Arbourthorne is a tight knit community who find it easiest to identify with like minded people.

As the Arborthorne is not currently populated by either Southerners or Post grad students, integrating may be a little more difficult for OxfordAlly than perhaps e.g. a plasterer from Manchester :roll:

Where's Litha when I need her?

*disappears to PM land*

Originally posted by t020

Now you might see how easy it is to dig a hole just by expressing an opinion and trying to help someone out with your advice?

Got to agree... My opinion is my opinion. It'd be a boring and false world if we all said "Yes, the arbourthorne is lovely, its wonderful, I'd love to live there..."

I'm just saying that the Arbourthorne is somewhere that I would not want to live. I can understand why people want to protect the name of the area they live... I lived at Richmond for 17 years... It would take me 5 minutes to walk to the Woodthorpe Estate which then leads onto the Manor estate. For anyone moving to Richmond, I would happily tell them that the quiet, private cul-de-sac that I was brought up on is just a stones throw away from the notorious manor estate. One only has to wonder why our insurance premium for the home is so high...

Anyways... my opinion is voiced. Think what you want of me. I don't live on the arbourthorne, so don't listen to me if you don't want to... Just make sure you ignore the media/crime stats/vandalism/gangs of kids while you're at it.

I notice that the Norfolk Park development residents (BertieBasset, E-Man Grooving et al) are being v. quiet about this topic, despite the fact that their development is basically across the road from the Arbourthorne estate...

People disregard the less expensive Parklands development because it is close to the Manor council estate... but no one seems to mind that the more expensive Norfolk Park development homes are in close proximity to the Arbourthorne estate.

Lib1

Originally posted by Lib1

I notice that the Norfolk Park development residents (BertieBasset, E-Man Grooving et al) are being v. quiet about this topic, despite the fact that their development is basically across the road from the Arbourthorne estate...

I live at Norfolk Park. I've entered into this thread, although like E-man et al I haven't commented on the Arbouthorne area. That's because I don't live there, I've no experience of the area and therefore don't think my opinion would be helpful.

Originally posted by vidster

I personally dont think Arbourthorne Rd is bad at all.

I don't live very far from it and i spent half my childhood on the Arbourthorne. I think if you keep yourself to yourself, you will be fine.

I especially like some of the houses to the bottom end of Arbourthorne Rd.

have to agree with you vidster, arbour road isnt all that bad. it doesnt matter where you live you will always get the hooligan element of society. i was born on arbour road and moved to city road when i was four. got to agree that the view from the vulcan field over the city is astonishing especially now that the two towers blocks have gone

"I live at Norfolk Park. I've entered into this thread, although like E-man et al I haven't commented on the Arbouthorne area. That's because I don't live there, I've no experience of the area and therefore don't think my opinion would be helpful."

Living on the Parklands development, I also have no experience of living on the Manor council estate and so cannot comment on it... but this doesn't stop people from warning people off the Parklands development and citing crime stats due to its proximity to the Manor estate. I don't understand why the NP dev's proximity to Arbourthorne doesn't receive similar criticism.

Lib1

Originally posted by Lib1

[bLiving on the Parklands development, I also have no experience of living on the Manor council estate and so cannot comment on it... [/b]

So what are you doing on this thread. There are plenty of other places for us to have the Parklands vs Norfolk Park debate.

:loopy:

Originally posted by Strix

Excuse me! Before everybody forces each other to take sides here :mad:

I have not derided the residents of the Arborthorne, or Southerners, merely acknowledged the fact that the Arbourthorne is a tight knit community who find it easiest to identify with like minded people.

As the Arborthorne is not currently populated by either Southerners or Post grad students, integrating may be a little more difficult for OxfordAlly than perhaps e.g. a plasterer from Manchester :roll:

Where's Litha when I need her?

*disappears to PM land*

im here Strix :D

have been reading this thread. looks like people are twisting what ya was trying to say abit eh? missis

i totally agree with Strix that some people will resent a "posh" accent and the local scallys will find much amusement in bugging the "snob" on the street. i cant see where Strix was saying this will definatly happen but it is possible.

i live on viking lea and im sure its rep is about as bad or even worse than arborthorne. and im sure caprice and to20 would sooner risk their lives with a maneating tiger than venture up our road :hihi: and shall i tell you something it is the quietest road i have ever lived on. it is all very tranquil :thumbsup: i think me shouting my new puppy in is the noisiest thing.

its so tiring now reading the never ending threads slagging certain parts off specially when the slagger off'ers dont even live there and refuse to pass by. statistics show me that a certain few people on here are oppinionated pratts but i dare say in real life they are very nice people, but because statistics are usually so correct ill go with my first veiw of them :D

Litha

ps.. welcome to sheffield oxford, hope you settle in where ever ya go :thumbsup:

Hi OxfordAlly,

If you're looking for a nice place to live and for the 3 years you're in Sheffield I would buy a flat that Blundells currently have on the market http://www.blundells.co.uk It's in Sheffield 2 (S2) on the new Park Grange development build by Gleesons.

This development is very popular with both undergraduate and postgraduate students and young professionals. With the flat being a new build you'll have nothing more to spend on it. It's 3 tram stops from the centre of Sheffield and has terrific views across most of Sheffield.

I'm sure as other Norfolk Parkers will tell you the area is very well liked and very pleasant to live in.

The developer is selling new build flats like this for £118,000 so this at £95,000 looks like good value on the face of it.

Here's the link for 102 Park Grange Mount....

http://www.vebra.com/home/solex/refine.asp

PS - it's not mine! Tho' I'd buy it if I had the money.

If you bought that flat, you'd be my neighbour.

If OxfordAlly is looking to buy property at £80,000- then isn't £95,000 likely to be out of his budget?

I didn't bother to recommend Parklands to OxfordAlly (which is also home to students, postgrads and young professionals, BTW) because homes on the dev now start at about £88,000.

Don't tell me that you've entered the 'price isn't a problem' fantasy world in which t020 inhabits.

BTW- why are almost identical apartments on the NP dev so vastly separated in price? £95,000 vs £118,000 for basically the same type of property? NP dev folk, please explain...

Lib1