Arbourthorne road? Is it really that bad?

Originally posted by samsmum

in the 5 years we have lived here, we have been burgled once (easy through a rotten old window!) and the car has been vandalised a couple of times - the side window was done a couple of weeks ago. Apart from the ocasional drug raid on a neighbour (how scary is that 'copter when its 40 foot above your house!?), its an ok road. everyone tends to keep themselves to themselves so i doubt an accent would be a problem - not unless you were about to start frequenting the local watering holes/wmc's!

so, for my twopenneth, its not bad - but the house prices are just silly for what you get!

sue:D

Wow :o That's more crime than i've witnessed in my life and i grew up on the Manor!

You must be extremely unlucky samsmum :(

My dad lives just round the corner and he's never had any trouble in over 10 years.

Originally posted by Strix

Well, exactly. If you want your windows bricked, you move that attitude right into the Arbourthorne and don't say we didn't warn you :roll:

I believe it could be arranged for your car to be barbequed too ;)

Well i certainly won't be moving into 'STRIX'S' area!!!:rant:

What about embracing cultural diversity! southerners are people too!

Originally posted by samsmum

I live on the middle bit of arbourthorne road, and its fairly quiet and ok on that bit. have to say though, the house prices round here are ridiculous - the house for sale at the top of arb rd near eastern ave is nearly 80K!!! thats absurd.....:loopy: The council quoted us about 22k to buy ours.....

sue:D

The house i was looking at had asking price of around 80K! and i thought it was quite good for what it was! but i guess i'm basing my knowledge on oxford prices, you wouldn't even get a caravan plot for that in oxford!!! Maybe if i went for the house i could just put in a low offer!

Does anyone know how fast/slow houses are selling in that area? heard its a slow market in sheffield at the minute!

hmmmm :confused: is a tough decision! thanks for all the info on the area. May look at some possibly more 'studenty' areas but it seems as though arbourthorne road isn't all that bad! maybe there's hope for me and the beautiful house after all!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by OxfordAlly

Well i certainly won't be moving into 'STRIX'S' area!!!:rant:

What about embracing cultural diversity! southerners are people too!

I'm not sure the Arborthorne is the best place to find people who 'embrace cultural diversity'

Just incase you hadn't noticed - I'm not from these parts either. And I only told you what you were asking for. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's your money.

Jeees. You can't help some people :loopy:

Hi Oxford Ally,

I agree with Strix. Don't move into the Arbourthorne! It's terrible! It's a troubled council estate with a shocking reputation. (I don't even drive through there...)

No-ones saying that southerners are not people... We're just trying to skirt around the idea that your "new neighbours" are sometimes the sort that appear on tv shows like "Neighbours from hell"/they have unruly kids with asbo's/they scream and shout at eachother at the top of their voices/if anythings at fault, it's YOUR fault/they are NOT culturally aware.

So basically if you swan in there and say "I bought this house cos it's cheap... Where I come from all the houses are £150k +" then they are unlikely to take it as though you're being wise about your money by getting on the ladder earlier, they'll think you are stuck up and resent you. These people don't think outside the box so a postgrad student with a "more desirable" accent is just waiting to get pelted.

Don't say we haven't warned you...

Originally posted by caprice

Hi Oxford Ally,

I agree with Strix. Don't move into the Arbourthorne! It's terrible! It's a troubled council estate with a shocking reputation. (I don't even drive through there...)

Have you turned into t020? He's well known for commenting on areas he's never been to. I expected better from you. :suspect:

Originally posted by Andy

Have you turned into t020? He's well known for commenting on areas he's never been to. I expected better from you. :suspect:

I'm glad you watch my every move Andy. If you had been watching carefully, you'd have noted the time that I came back in a taxi from the airport through Arbourthorne and also the time when I got off the bus a few stops early and got lost in the estate, trying to find my way out. Surely if you'd been watching me that carefully, you'd have helped me out. :suspect:

Originally posted by caprice

Hi Oxford Ally,

Oh dear me caprice, after reading this, I have to agree with Andy - how on earth can you comment on an area that you are unfamiliar with? Have you not read what people who live, or have lived, in Arbourthorne, (and for that matter, on Arbourthorne Road itself), have posted? Don't you think that local people have more of an insight into an area than you - who won't even drive through the area?!

Arbourthorne estate was built 70 years ago and completed in a 4 year period. The whole estate is undergoing phased improvements to bring council properties up to the decent homes standard.

Arbourthorne Road (between Eastern Avenue and Park Grange Road) and adjacent streets are currently receiving external works, including new double-glazed windows & new doors, plus repointing work and repairs to pebble-dashing, etc., (where required). In a later phase, the houses will have new kitchens, an upstairs toilet, a new bath, and central heating. Subject to separate funding being approved, external works will also see car hard-standings provided in front gardens, and new external walls. Take a look at Daresbury Road & Lichford Road on Lower Arbourthorne to see what an improvement these works are making to the look of the estate.

Arbourthorne is also subject to a Masterplan, which has just been approved by Cabinet. Discussions with interested parties and community organisations will shortly commence on taking the Masterplan forward. Of particular interest to OxfordAlly is the proposal to improve the playing fields at the rear of Arbourthorne Road, and turn them into a new park. If OxfordAlly plans to move to the area for a limited 3 years or so, it is unlikely that these plans will have come to fruition in that time, as it will first be necessary to complete the proposed demolition of the flat-topped houses on the opposite side of the playing fields. You are close to the Arbourthorne Ponds, where fishing is permitted. There is also the brand new Tiddlywinks Centre nearby (officially opened by the local MP only last Friday) and the newly opened Arbourthorne Community Primary School.

At the bottom of Arbourthorne Road, at the junction with Park Grange Road, is the new Beacon community church (formerly the Fellbrigg public house). A short walk from there is the listed, historic Norfolk Heritage Park, with the Centre in the Park (with a fantastic cafe providing midday meals at incredible low prices, meeting rooms, etc.), a brilliant children's adventure playground, some stunning views of the city, sports facilities, and it's a great place to relax (make a note to visit the daffodils in Spring). Park Grange Road provides a handy tram stop at the junction with Arbourthorne Road - so you are a 10 mins ride to the city centre. You are also close to bus routes on Park Grange Road and Eastern Avenue. There are local shops at the Northern Avenue precinct, and Manor Top.

I cannot comment on house prices, but £80k does not surprise me. Houses sell well on Arbourthorne, and there is always a demand for council homes on Arbourthorne. You do not see boarded up houses for months on end in Arbourthorne - the turnaround of vacant properties is very quick, such is the demand. It is not a "troubled council estate with a shocking reputation" as caprice claims, though, like any area, it suffers from unruly elements from time to time.

But then what I would know of the area compared to caprice? After all, she doesn't even drive through the area, whereas I happen to have lived just around the corner from Lower Arbourthorne for over 15years, and am proud to represent Arbourthorne ward on the city council.

However, OxfordAlly, you get to decide who knows Arbourthorne better - the locals, including myself, or caprice.

Red

My mother moved into her new house on Arbourthorne Rd just a few mths before I was born which was August 1936.

So I lived in the miiddle part of Arrbourthorne Rd, I think no 247.

There was a fishing pond over the railings at the bottom of our garden and a library just round the corner on Eastern Ave.

Nice to know the houses have lasted and are well sort after.

Good job the bombs during the war missd.

hazel

However, OxfordAlly, you get to decide who knows Arbourthorne better - the locals, including myself, or caprice.

I'm glad things aren't getting personal huh... Anyone would think

I was the only one who held this view :loopy:

At the end of the day, you must like it enough to stay there, which is fine by me. (If it was that much of a hell hole, why would ANYONE live there?!) I wouldn't want to live there, it doesn't suit my lifestyle and is not and does not have the location/area/clientele that I am looking for when choosing where to live.

Oxford Ally may well decide to move there, which would be fine by me. But if I were moving to a new area, I'd want to hear ALL the views, good and bad.

i think redrobbo was just trying to suggest that perhaps your opinion of the area isn't as valid as the opinions of the people who atually live there?

Originally posted by Andy

You don't have to have lived in or even been to an area to make comment on it - you can make comment based on the opinions/experiences of others, news stories, crime statistics, etc. I've never been to Australia but I can comment there are lots of kangaroos there. By the same token, I've never been to Arbourthorne but I can comment there is a lot of crime there.