Arbourthorne road? Is it really that bad?

Hi

I'm going to be moving to sheffield in september going to the uni of sheffield for a 3 year post grad course and wanted to buy a house. Went up yesterday and visited a house on arbourthorne road which was REALLY nice. Was considering putting an offer in.... until i read some of the threads on this site!

Is it really that bad? The house was looked nice from the outside and the other houses around didn't look that rough! are they all council houses round there? they looked like privately owned ones to me. The garden of the house baked onto a park (i think by looking at a map its arbourthorne sports ground!)

If i bought i'd want to live there for the 3 years of the course but not sure if i'd be making a mistake by moving to that area? I'm guessing its not a student area! Can anyone give me some advice? The house was very secure but is the area just altogether bad news?

Thanks

Perhaps as a student you'd like to look elsewhere? ;)

Most of the properties on Arbourthorne are council houses, or former council houses. there are only a few proerties which were originally private ownership.

I lived on Arbourthorne road for some time, in my teens, and then in a property off the same road, until 2 yrs ago. I would have still been there, if I could have gotten the adaptions I needed to my property. Instead I had to move into another area into a property that was adapted.

I didn't mind living round there, at all.

It's close for trams, and frequent buses, good shopping and facilities.

It's convenient for town (2-2.8 miles, depending on which point you live at) so not outside strolling distance.

Drawback is that in various points in the area, you do have pockets of the antisocial element. That park was used for joyriding, until barriers were put in place to prevent vehicle access. (the park is the eastern avenue playing fields, btw)

However, (and you can ask redrobbo!) it's not too bad an area to live in. there's a lot going on, community wise. there are a lot of community minded folks working in that district.

Also if you are "religiously" inclined, there's a lovely little church, called Arbourthorne Community Church, who will make you very welcome. I used to go there.

edit to add:-

the view over the city from the playing field is fantastic. if i couldn't sleep, at night i'd take my dog onto the field, and contemplate my "worry" whilst watching the city lights, that was very pleasant.

PT

I agree with everything PT says, but be aware that there is a resentment towards students in Sheffield from some of the locals.

The Arborthorne and Manor estates are probably best struck off your list :suspect:

hmmm :confused:

I really really loved the house!

Maybe i could lie about my student status? and i will be a post grad, could that make a difference? possibly not!

Well i won't write it off completely just yet but will go back to the drawing board!

I guess thinking about it they did have a big dog (possibly for security and not a pet!) and CCTV! Although everyone seems to have CCTV!!!

If only i could just transfer the house elsewhere :(

Are you actually from Oxford Ally?

A southern accent will not make you popular in those parts either - difficult to hide really.

Hi OxfordAlly,

I'd personally avoid Arbourthorne. I live in Mersbrook which isn't far from arb, don't really go there, not very nice place, not good rep...

If you are looking in the same area I would look at Lowfield, Heeley Green, Meersbrook, Norton Lees. Nice areas, friendly neighbourhood, nice local nightlife.

There are quite a few nice properties on sale on this forum in the above areas (have seen a few on sale that are up the road).

I personally dont think Arbourthorne Rd is bad at all.

I don't live very far from it and i spent half my childhood on the Arbourthorne. I think if you keep yourself to yourself, you will be fine.

I especially like some of the houses to the bottom end of Arbourthorne Rd.

Originally posted by Strix

Are you actually from Oxford Ally?

A southern accent will not make you popular in those parts either - difficult to hide really.

Yes, from oxford and proud of it!!! and whats wrong with a southern accent???

Could cause problems i guess, in deciphering and also for me in terms of comprehension!

I could always try and incorporate 'tut' into all my sentences, e.g. going 'tut' shops!

Originally posted by vidster

I especially like some of the houses to the bottom end of Arbourthorne Rd.

The house i was looking at was at the end closest to the tram stop, is that where you mean? it all looked quite respectable to me!

There's still hope! It really was a lovely house! :(

I guess with the money i'll save from buying in a more expensive area i could always hire a security guard??

Originally posted by OxfordAlly

Yes, from oxford and proud of it!!! and whats wrong with a southern accent???

Could cause problems i guess, in deciphering and also for me in terms of comprehension!

I could always try and incorporate 'tut' into all my sentences, e.g. going 'tut' shops!

Well, exactly. If you want your windows bricked, you move that attitude right into the Arbourthorne and don't say we didn't warn you :roll:

I believe it could be arranged for your car to be barbequed too ;)

Originally posted by OxfordAlly

The house i was looking at was at the end closest to the tram stop, is that where you mean? it all looked quite respectable to me!

There's still hope! It really was a lovely house! :(

I guess with the money i'll save from buying in a more expensive area i could always hire a security guard??

I've not heard of any trouble from there for quite a while now OxfordAlly.

There used to be a bit of trouble from the pub at the bottom of the road but now it is a church. Just behind the tram stop is a piece of waste ground. This is where the new shopping centre is going to be in a few years so you wouldn't have far to walk for a pint of milk ;)