Anyone know a good Mental Health GP/practice in Sheffield?

Hi This Life

Best advice is to go with ur insticts if you have a godd feeling about a doctor Psych or CPN go with it if not request to see someone else. Take control of ur treatment ie who you see and what they offer and get as much information from the NHS as you can. I would also recommend reading NICE guidelines on the NICE website these are for patients explaining about medication treatments and servicces and what is Best Practice in the NHS.

Finally if not happy get a second third or even fourth opinion; knowledge is power and power is knowledge. Believe me having knowledge of the mental health system and information on what is available is vital and gives you confidence you are doing the best things possible for your body and mind.

Hope that helps

Reidy

my GP's are great, all of them are good, not sure about mental health issues but I have had some pretty bad medical problems over the last 3 months and then have been very proactive and supportive

Walkley house Medical centre, bottom on Greenhow street

Mod: Some posts have been deleted, please try and keep off personal discussions thanks.

I agree with sunblock, Argyll house in Netheredge. It depends who you get but most of them are text book professionals. They don't have the ability to listen or understand anything. More people need to complain about the treatment and service so that other people do not suffer. They willthen think twice about how people are spoken too. Even if we have issues we still have a voice and opinion which should be heard and not treated in such a negative way. Hope u find a good worker and the help that you deserve

whoever you choose to see , just make it clear what you expect from them, they do tend to want to treat so called mental health issues with powerful prescribed drugs. once you become addicted to these its a downhill spiral. dont let them palm you off with this sort of second rate service

thats very true, that very often happens. ive been in sheffield 2yrs and waited for psychotherapy, resulted in me complaining via a solicitor only now something is getting done.

thats very true, that very often happens. ive been in sheffield 2yrs and waited for psychotherapy, resulted in me complaining via a solicitor only now something is getting done.

i hope you get the help you need, not just what they want to give!, given budgets/ waiting times and so forth

I agree with sunblock, Argyll house in Netheredge. It depends who you get but most of them are text book professionals. They don't have the ability to listen or understand anything. More people need to complain about the treatment and service so that other people do not suffer. They willthen think twice about how people are spoken too. Even if we have issues we still have a voice and opinion which should be heard and not treated in such a negative way. Hope u find a good worker and the help that you deserve

It was shocking i was meant to be still on the waiting list needless to say i have never heard anything else were now in 2011 luckly im seen a great councellor near the northern general at the moment. I wouldn't like anyone to go through that experience i did and if you was down enough that could very easily tip you over the edge being spoken to in that way by someone who doesnt have a clue.

http://www.sct.nhs.uk/

This is the link for Sheffield Health and Social Care which deal with mental health care in Sheffield. They provide the services at East Glade and Argyll House, which have been mentioned.

In the first instance you need to go to your GP who can refer you. Or you could contact IAPT direct, or the Crisis Team if it is an emergency.

All contact details are on the linked website.