Sky TV vs. Virgin Media - which one is best?

not quite, they have a catalogue of programs they are transmitting constantly on sky anytime, its done the same basic way that the interactive services are, but yes, you select a program and watch it.... It's not the exact same method as Virgin as its a different technology, but the result is basically the same.

Sky Anytime TV delivers selected programming over satellite to the partitioned hard drives of more recent Sky+ digital video recorders which reserve some of their storage for use by Sky. Over a million customers, including all high-definition subscribers, will be able to access the feature when it launches in March.

Programmes, such as movies, are immediately available through the red button on the electronic programme guide planner, where they appear with a preview video. Each programme will be stored for a limited period, but if the user wishes to watch them beyond that, they can be moved to the personal planner simply by pressing the record button on their remote control.

So as I said, all the Sky system can do is store stuff on it's hard drive, because a Sky system can't 'talk' back to sky, so can't request streaming of video in the way Virgin can

So as I said, all the Sky system can do is store stuff on it's hard drive, because a Sky system can't 'talk' back to sky, so can't request streaming of video in the way Virgin can

no, it doesnt store it on its hard drive, and it doesn't need to 'talk' to sky, look at how the interactive services work, it works just like that...

but regardless of how it works, it works, and is available.... thus solving the original debate wether or not sky had on demand TV, which it does.

no, it doesnt store it on its hard drive, and it doesn't need to 'talk' to sky, look at how the interactive services work, it works just like that...

but regardless of how it works, it works, and is available.... thus solving the original debate wether or not sky had on demand TV, which it does.

Sorry, how do you think it commands programmes if it doesn't 'talk' ie communicate with a server at Sky to request it or holds stuff on it's hard drive? :huh:

Your link, which I quoted even says as much

Sky Anytime TV delivers selected programming over satellite to the partitioned hard drives of more recent Sky+ digital video recorders which reserve some of their storage for use by Sky.

It is relevant because my argument is that the VM version has far more capacity and therefore choice, which I think is a valid point when weighing up the relative merits of the services

It says just that, as I stated before, it uses the hard drive to 'cache' the show(s) you choose, just the same way that VirginMedia does.

it doesnt need to 'talk' to sky to get it, as the info is sent constantly, just like the interactive services..

It says just that, as I stated before, it uses the hard drive to 'cache' the show(s) you choose, just the same way that VirginMedia does.

it doesnt need to 'talk' to sky to get it, as the info is sent constantly, just like the interactive services..

Hang on, you're telling me that every programme that's put on Sky anytime, is transmitted constantly?

So in order to acheive the same functionality as VM, there would have to be constant broadcasts of each one, starting at 1 or 2 second intervals? That just isn't possible on satellite

Virgin boxes use the HD purely for recording, there's no cacheing. All VOD content is streamed directly from a server.

Edited by pem123

Hang on, you're telling me that every programme that's put on Sky anytime, is transmitted constantly?

So in order to acheive the same functionality as VM, there would have to be constant broadcasts of each one, starting at 1 or 2 second intervals? That just isn't possible on satellite

Virgin boxes use the HD purely for recording, there's no cacheing. All VOD content is streamed directly from a server.

Like I said above, it doesnt matter HOW its done, just the fact that it is available, which was the original point.

'Anytime' programs ARE stored on your hard drive. They are transmitted during the night and everyone (dependant on your viewing plan) gets the same programs.

It is not comparable to an On-Demand service such as that offered by Virgin, as you can only chose from the limited amount of programs and films stored on your box at any time - which is not to say it's a bad service, just different. The Virgin service has it's own problems too though.

For me, having used both - Sky wins hands down.

Like I said above, it doesnt matter HOW its done, just the fact that it is available, which was the original point.

Well it does, because i'm trying to give a technical explanation of why your belief that Sky offers a comparable service, is physically impossible

It depends what you want really I find.

TV:

I prefer Sky's remote and usability as I had that before I had Virgin although the V+ box is technically more useful than the Sky+. You can record 2 channels and watch a third for instance, recording to DVDs from the HD is done for you, it is built in HD and doesnt need to be a Sky+HD box. They are also rolling out a new sleeker Samsung box now which is apparently very good.

Sky has more HD channels which is their great selling point at the minute although as someone said Virgin have just added 4 more and have a number more in the pipeline. It's not an issue for me but I certainly wouldnt pay more to see something in HD.

On Demand Virgin wins hands down, as discussed above it's 2 totally different methods and the Virgin service has tonnes more content from music videos and playlists to movies and everything on TV Choice, 4OD and iPlayer.

Phone:

I dont think there's a massive difference between the 2, both offer free call packages and I think Sky can now take your line rental from BT too which has never been a problem with cable. I guess most people use their mobile phones for most calls so shouldnt matter too much.

Broadband:

Sky do a much improved ADSL service I believe but I dont think there is really much comparison between ADSL and cable any more, certainly not in the future. ADSL will never push over 24Mb theoretically or 20Mb in reality and Virgin do this with ease currently and with their recent network upgrades onto Docsis 3 have tripled network capacity and shown that they can carry 50Mb on a national scale. Add to the infrastructure the V Stuff storage facility, Kaspersky powered PC Guard and that their email is in the process of being moved to Google it's a good package only getting better.

Sky is much better. Especially the sky tv and internet package for £26 a month. Well worth it! Get everything except cinema and sports.

I'd go for sky too, dont really bothere with the anytime anymore, decided it was just crap programs stored on the drive i didnt want to watch (they get pushed to your sky box every night) phone we're paying £9 for line rental, and £4 a month for the unlimited calls anytime, and get the 16meg(soon to be pushed up to 20 with sky's upgrades) broadband for £7 a month.

It depends what you want really I find.

TV:

I prefer Sky's remote and usability as I had that before I had Virgin although the V+ box is technically more useful than the Sky+. You can record 2 channels and watch a third for instance, recording to DVDs from the HD is done for you, it is built in HD and doesnt need to be a Sky+HD box. They are also rolling out a new sleeker Samsung box now which is apparently very good.

Sky has more HD channels which is their great selling point at the minute although as someone said Virgin have just added 4 more and have a number more in the pipeline. It's not an issue for me but I certainly wouldnt pay more to see something in HD.

On Demand Virgin wins hands down, as discussed above it's 2 totally different methods and the Virgin service has tonnes more content from music videos and playlists to movies and everything on TV Choice, 4OD and iPlayer.

Phone:

I dont think there's a massive difference between the 2, both offer free call packages and I think Sky can now take your line rental from BT too which has never been a problem with cable. I guess most people use their mobile phones for most calls so shouldnt matter too much.

Broadband:

Sky do a much improved ADSL service I believe but I dont think there is really much comparison between ADSL and cable any more, certainly not in the future. ADSL will never push over 24Mb theoretically or 20Mb in reality and Virgin do this with ease currently and with their recent network upgrades onto Docsis 3 have tripled network capacity and shown that they can carry 50Mb on a national scale. Add to the infrastructure the V Stuff storage facility, Kaspersky powered PC Guard and that their email is in the process of being moved to Google it's a good package only getting better.

This is a really good breakdown, im currently on virgin as it has what I need, the broadband is a little hazy at times, but this is due to peak times so its expected, there is no break ups with tv because its through cable, the tv package is quite good(in reference to XL) but to be honest im a bit bored of all the tv. Every year when the contract comes to an end I call them up and say im going to sky, but in reality I wont they just will do anything to keep you so will give you a discount on the package u take.

Which reminds me, how much is ESPN going to cost?