Archery fun - but to kill ?

I fancy a go at field archery sometime soon - its like normal target archery but usually shot in woods/fields at 3 dimensional targets (inc sometimes foam animal shapes and the like). A lot of people use simple wooden bows too. there is a nice back to basics simplicity appeal about it

Trying to find out more about the subject and I came across this US article about how to kill deer with bow and arrow, and it has left me quite stunned actually - people do this for fun ?

http://www.archeryhistory.com/articles/pdf/Delivering_At_The_Moment_bowandarrowhunting.pdf

People kill big game for fun with guns too...I don't think it is so much the projectile used that is offensive, but rather the fact that this happens in the first place.

People kill big game for fun with guns too...I don't think it is so much the projectile used that is offensive, but rather the fact that this happens in the first place.

I agree to an extent, killing for fun is something I just dont get

guess I was shocked that people would try and kill large animals with a bow and arrow - a weapon of considerably less power than a hunting rifle and thus so much more likely to leave the animal suffering or escaped and wounded. Also that best practice is to shoot through the lungs, hardly the same as a rifle head shot

I agree to an extent, killing for fun is something I just dont get

guess I was shocked that people would try and kill large animals with a bow and arrow - a weapon of considerably less power than a hunting rifle and thus so much more likely to leave the animal suffering or escaped and wounded. Also that best practice is to shoot through the lungs, hardly the same as a rifle head shot

I saw an article in the Metro a month or so ago where some South African woman was crowing about having killed an elephant with a bow and arrow. She'd shot it once in the head then waited for it to die through the night.

She seemed proud of the fact as did the macho types who were queuing up to laud her "achievement".

killing to eat no problem, killing for fun lots of problems

does that mean is ok for me to keep killing chavs as long as i eat them?

fine by me mate .. as long as you eat all of them and don't leave the gristly or burberry bits

I fancy a go at field archery sometime soon - its like normal target archery but usually shot in woods/fields at 3 dimensional targets (inc sometimes foam animal shapes and the like). A lot of people use simple wooden bows too. there is a nice back to basics simplicity appeal about it

Trying to find out more about the subject and I came across this US article about how to kill deer with bow and arrow, and it has left me quite stunned actually - people do this for fun ?

http://www.archeryhistory.com/articles/pdf/Delivering_At_The_Moment_bowandarrowhunting.pdf

Hunters in the U.S take it very seriously !.They can be known to spray deer urine on them selfs to hide there own odour .

They see using a Bow as more of a sport than using a rifle ...it gives the deer a chance ;)

...They see using a Bow as more of a sport than using a rifle ...it gives the deer a chance ;)

yeah it's absolutely silent so it doesn't spook the deer standing next to the one you just killed giving you a sporting chance of bagging that one too

gives the deer a chance my a*se, a good archer with a compound bow can put an arrow through a deers eye at the same range as most "sporting" gunmen can only just hit the deer

yeah it's absolutely silent so it doesn't spook the deer standing next to the one you just killed giving you a sporting chance of bagging that one too

gives the deer a chance my a*se, a good archer with a compound bow can put an arrow through a deers eye at the same range as most "sporting" gunmen can only just hit the deer

You clearly know nothing about hunting ! Or anything about fire arms

You clearly know nothing about hunting ! Or anything about fire arms

feel free to correct me

So a happy butcher is bad or OK?