UFO sighting, debunk it for me

that there'll be a satellite that you saw me laddie, a ziggin and a zaggin :)

freaky innit :D

summat to do with the way the light reflects at that altitude

i seen em also

Not too sure I believe that Soloman- I could understand some kind of shimmering but not darting across the skies!(probably over 30 degrees)

Not too sure I believe that Soloman- I could understand some kind of shimmering but not darting across the skies!(probably over 30 degrees)

ok :).........

Please feel free to throw at me any intelligent questions you may have regarding this. suggestions / opinions please.

A long shot but is it possible that it was light disturbance caused by an isolated heat haze? I ask this because I fell foul of the same thing once and was staggered at how much the heat haze made the particular light in the sky dance around. We got in the car and followed the star which was not moving about. Got back to our original position and the star was dancing around again. We discovered a heat source and realised it was causing atmospheric disturbance.

yes fair enough but there is no such thing as a UFO..if you cant tell what it is then your thick...ive seen things in the sky before where its been hard to tell what it is but i have still worked it out...you can always identify whats in the sky..and if you cant you need your eyes testing..this post is full of freaks

What a nob

I think what the OP saw was a chinese lantern.

Not just any chinese lantern, but a super sonic chinese lantern.

I am totally ignorant of these matters but I wondered if it could have been some sort of refraction that made the object appear to be somewhere else for a split second?

PS how could that be proved though?

Edited by matsalleh
PS

Possibly a laser or other lightsource reflected on cloud or dust in the atmosphere?

I'd just like to point out that my facility (area 51 and a half) is conducting test flights of my new Fray Bentos tin shaped UFO (much bigger of course) in Crookes and the immediate surrounding area ... Belgium, Spain, the US and the like. This could well be what people are seeing as the cloaking device is at the dry cleaners.

Once all the teething probs are sorted it'll be well out of the neighbourhood and shouldn't be a bother anymore. Sorry for any inconvenience. :D

Megalthic, I found your objective, leveled headed approach to this phenomenon refreshing. I share your 'predicament 'Its hard for a rational, intelligent human beings to process experiences like this. One wants to keep an open mind, remain skeptical but be open to more arcane explanations without being labeled ‘eccentric’ or an out and out Nutter. Unfortunately there are far too many people who equate skepticism with debunking and who dismiss such experiences out of hand. Conversely, there are just as many ‘believers’ who are far too quick to attribute ‘extraterrestrial explanations’ to such phenomena. What you saw might have a very simple, even banal explanation but its just as possible you observed a phenomena that can’t be so easily explained away by conventional frames of reference or Occam’s Razor. As Hamlet reminds us:

‘There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy’.

It’s possible, however far- fetched it may sound, that what you observed isn’t ‘of this world’; or if it is it has yet to be discovered or revealed.

Personally, the theory that earth is regularly visited by aliens doesn’t hold any water, simply because of the logistics involved; not least of which is the huge distances they’d have to travel. Look at the problems we had to overcome just to land men on the moon; a mere step away by cosmic standards. But when it comes to visiting or exploring other worlds there are other options. ‘Probes’ for example. We’ve been exploring the heavens for a mere 60 years and in that time we’ve not only landed men on another planet we’ve sent probes to the far corners of the universe. Surely its within the bounds of possibility that other intelligent species, perhaps far older and potentially more technologically advanced than us might have sent the occasional probe to explore our world? Just consider this: if there’s no organic life form to factor in to the equation, then distance and all the other obstacles unconducive to interstellar travel are ‘academic’.

I’m not stating that alien probes are a fact, nor am I suggesting that’s what you saw megalithic, I’m just saying it’s feasible and you shouldn’t rule it out for fear of ridicule.

There are scores of civilian and quite a few military pilots, trained observers not given to flights of fancy, who have reported encounters with UFO’s that appeared to be under some kind of intelligent control, interacting with their aircraft albeit robotically. There are accounts of UFOS mirroring / imitating the movements of the airplane, adjusting speed and altitude to keep at a ‘safe distance’ but every once in a while darting towards and around the slower craft ‘like inquisitive insects’. Military pilots scrambled to intercept UFOs have stated that the ‘intruders’ respond to perceived threats by either accelerating at ‘impossible speeds’ or performing other maneuvers impossible to match. There are even accounts of them interfering with the interceptor’s controls, forcing the pilot to back off before control is returned to him. These UFOs move and react almost mechanically, as if preprogrammed to do so and perform the kind of actions a sophisticated probe, perhaps designed to evade capture, might perform.

I have been watching the skies myself for a number of years and have experienced several instances of strange lights & objects, not unlike the object you witnessed. These objects perform maneuvers that no conventional craft would be capable of and appear to be able to defy the laws of physics. I too wracked my brains trying to arrive at a rational explanation; ruling out lanterns, conventional aircraft, planets, searchlights, shooting stars and satellites etc in the process. I’m still no wiser. More recently I was in my back garden in Sheffield in the early hours when a pair of parallel lights, moving in sync, passed overhead. They were not unlike stars in appearance & appeared to be separated by a weird ‘atmospheric’ distortion that I can only describe as being similar to the ‘haze’ you often see on really hot, sunny days. Unlike your ‘encounter’ mine only lasted 5/6 seconds before the lights and accompanying haze disappeared. I’m not a UFO nut and I’m not affiliated to any group but I am very interested in exchanging thoughts, ideas, and theories on this subject with like-minded people i.e. healthy skeptics with open minds. Surely there must be other people out there who have had similar experiences and are interested in discussing their experiences rationally and objectively, without bias, hidden agendas or preconceived notions? Lets hope this forum and this discussion in particular can persuade such people to contribute to the debate.

On the other hand, could it be some new secret technological device we are not supposed to know about dreamed up by the Russians/ Americans/ Chinese/.......

On the other hand, could it be some new secret technological device we are not supposed to know about dreamed up by the Russians/ Americans/ Chinese/.......

Like Aurora? I suspect that has been scrapped in favour of satellite technology.