Who wants fluoride added to Sheffield primary school milk?

No, my child does not have any fillings or decay!

Every parent is entitled to make their own decision as to weather they want their child to have "dental" milk or "normal" milk. I personally do not wish for my child to have "dental" milk, mainly because I don't think he needs it (I never had it as a child, and my teeth are ok) As long as it is still up to the parents to decide to opt in or out I don't see why it is such a big issue, everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the matter.

I asked because you stated brushing teeth twice day as the reason why he didn't need it. That is of course irrelevant. It's whether or not he has decay that matters.

how can people calm down when their kids are at risk from a poison which has no place in milk. If you took a pole ,which this thread has tried to do, who wants flouride in kids milk then I would wager a majority would say no! So what's it doing there.. Who profits out of flouridation?

Until you can show me the proven benefits of flouride milk then it shouldn't be allowed , never mind being introduced creepingly..

I beleave flouride makes you un creative, accepting , and makes you far less likely to question things. I also beleave it contributes to some cancers and bone conditions .

Your post proves how ill educated people like yourself can be of great detriment to your children. Do you have any evidence that fluoride additions are harmful? Absolutely none. It's just your poor misguided beliefs on the matter. I wish people would actually do some research and READ up on the matter instead of spreading these blatantly false fears.

Fluoride additions in our water supply in different parts of the country has shown countless times that not only is it harmless but of exceptional benefit.

Maybe you should take some fluoride supplements to improve your spelling.

IF my child had decayed teeth, I would not rely on "dental milk" to fix the problem!

How much fluoride is actually added to the dental milk? It cannot be enough to cause any damage to a child or surely it would not be allowed?!

It is up to the parent to decide if they want their child to have it or not, just like it's up to the parent to make many decisions for their child..

Your post proves how ill educated people like yourself can be of great detriment to your children. Do you have any evidence that fluoride additions are harmful? Absolutely none. It's just your poor misguided beliefs on the matter. I wish people would actually do some research and READ up on the matter instead of spreading these blatantly false fears.

Fluoride additions in our water supply in different parts of the country has shown countless times that not only is it harmless but of exceptional benefit.

Maybe you should take some fluoride supplements to improve your spelling.

Exceptional benefits? What like? Links please or are you just repeating what you have been told.? Bad teeth does not kill people . And it is of no business of anybody to remedy my or other peoples problems by drugging kids.

Can a.c. Milk be bought in the shop or is it prescription only.

Also milk at my local primary just bring the milk to the class and all the kids just grab any.

I'm in the process of finding out if any of that milk has added chemicals as this would be a very serious case of drugging without consent and is a very serious crime. Saying its good for them totally misses the point.. Would you like me putting stuff in your food and drink .? Even if I claimed that stuff was good for you? If I had children in Sheffield I would be very concerned indeed.

Doesn't liverpool have flouride water ? Crime central.

Next you will be advocating the benefit of giving Ritalin,an amphetamine, to children . just like one in ten kids in the u.s.a. Are taking Ritalin . The same America where 30million people have no healthcare at all. And the flouride nation accept this as normal and civilised. So the detriment to society is in fact people like yourself , who in the strongest possible terms are that wrong that I fear for humanity.

So is milk.

So is water, come to that. Anything and everything is a poison if you consume too much of it. The amounts being added to milk, and potentially to water, are not remotely anywhere naer enough to be dangerous.

So what about the long-term effects?

So what about the long-term effects?

In these dosages? There are none. If people are eating toothpaste in sizeable quantities there may be worrisome long-term effects.

I'm reminded, of a sudden, that cyanide - an extremely deadly substance - is present in vitamin tablets. I wonder how many people think that is dangerous? It isn't, because it forms part of a compound which is actually essential to life. (Vitamin K, for the curious.)

Edited by HeadingNorth

My dentist recommended flouride tablets when my daughter was little. She ended up having white marks on her teeth so I stopped giving them to her.

I think mass medication makes people complacent.Flouride may reduce the incidence of dental caries but I believe there is no substitute for good dental hygiene i.e. brushing to reduce the incidence of peridontal disease , which is the major cause of tooth loss and can also be a factor in heart disease

Instead of medicating milk in schools it would be better to get the children to brush their teeth after lunch and encourage good habits.

Instead of medicating milk in schools it would be better to get the children to brush their teeth after lunch and encourage good habits.

It would be better, but at this point I'm not sure it is possible. We have a generation of children brought up by a generation who were themselves appallingly badly brought up (by and large - there are exceptions, I like to think I'm one myself). Can the damage be undone?

In these dosages? There are none. If people are eating toothpaste in sizeable quantities there may be worrisome long-term effects.

I'm reminded, of a sudden, that cyanide - an extremely deadly substance - is present in vitamin tablets. I wonder how many people think that is dangerous? It isn't, because it forms part of a compound which is actually essential to life. (Vitamin K, for the curious.)

Is that why they give it new born babies then? I wouldn't give my newborn.

Thankyou retep, brilliant link. May be we can start and vote these corrupt and unwise councillors out who are letting Sheffielders down.

Wow, so anything that is put up on the internet is considered a good source of information? :loopy:

Go to a library and actually read up on established scientific journals for an unbiased and reasoned conclusion on the matter. This is probably beyond you, but at least I tried;

Fluoride in water: A UK perspective

Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, Volume 126, Issues 11-12, December 2005, Pages 1448-1456

Paul T.C. Harrison

Fluorides in Dental Public Health Programs

Dental Clinics of North America, Volume 52, Issue 2, April 2008, Pages 387-401

Jayanth V. Kumar, Mark E. Moss

Fluoride in Dentistry and Dental Restoratives

Fluorine and Health, 2008, Pages 333-378

John W. Nicholson, Beata Czarnecka

Fluoride in the prevention of caries in the preschool child

Journal of Dentistry, Volume 18, Issue 6, December 1990, Pages 304-307

A. J. Rugg-Gunn

Fluoride ingestion and oral health

Nutrition, Volume 17, Issues 11-12, November 2001, Pages 979-980

David G. Pendrys

Absence of detrimental effects of fluoride exposure in diabetic rats

Archives of Oral Biology, Volume 41, Issue 2, February 1996, Pages 191-203

A. J. Dunipace, C. A. Wilson, M. E. Wilson, W. Zhang, A. H. Kafrawy, E. J. Brizendine, L. L. Miller, B. P. Katz, J. M. Warrick, G. K. Stookey

Relationship between fluorine in drinking water and dental health of residents in some large cities in China

Environment International, Volume 30, Issue 8, October 2004, Pages 1067-1073

Binbin Wang, Baoshan Zheng, Cheng Zhai, Guangqian Yu, Xiaojing Liu