Re-Homing a 12 year old Border Collie

Hi There,

At the begining of this year we re-homed a 12yr old border collie, unfortunately, she hasn't reallty fitted in or settled with us at all - well me, more than my partner.

She is very determined and has at times been aggressive with me. It has now got to the point where I don't trust her. We think (after speaking to the vet and watching her behaviour and speaking to a dog trainer) that she is vying for alpha bitch status. We do also have a 12 yo staffy / springer mix who is absolutely fine.

Her previous home was with an older gentleman who treated her like a child (given chocolate eclairs for treats, eat when she wants as opposed to when she is fed, sleep on the furniture etc...). We treat her like a dog and if i try to discipline her, move her, basically anything she doesn't want to do she becomes aggresive with me. She is fine with my partner.

It has come to the stage where she is causing pressure in our relationship and it's time to go. If I have no luck now, i will see what the pdsa etc say.

Vital Stats...

Reason for Rehome / Sale - as above

Time Scale – How Urgent? - asap

Sale Amount - free

Has the Dog been in Rescue - not as far as we are aware

Location - walkley

Age & Sex - 12, female

Breed/ Mix - border collie tri colour and a little bit of something else!

KC Registered - not sure what this means, so assume no.

Approximate size - standard border collie

Exercise Needed - likes twice daily walks, will go for as long as you can handle, but also happy with a quick one.

Neutered & Micro chipped - yes

Vaccinated & Wormed - yes

Live in / out - in, but i thin she'd be happy outside as long as she had a bed in the kennel

Ever lived with other cats/dogs/other animals - Dogs yes, cats not sure.

Any Current or Historical Health or Psychological Issues - as above and gets itchy (not fleas). also has fatty lump on leg. no issue though.

Temperament - loves men, not too sure about women.

Good or Bad with Children - don't know.

Dislike of Men or Women - dislikes me!

OK with Dogs / Cats/other Animals - fine with dogs. Will chase cats and not sure what she'd do if she caught one. If I'm honest, I wouldn't trust her with a cat.

Travel OK in Car - yes, bit shaky at first.

Left happily alone in the House for How Long at a time - yes

Destructive Behaviour - no.

Barks - yes - good guard dog.

Pull on the lead - no

Crate trained - yes

Housetrained - yes

I think she would suit a single man or an outdoor life very well.

Any takers?

Edited by BruciesBabe
More info

why dont you pts if shes agressive?

What?! You can't go just by what's said here - aggression is on all different levels and usually a result of insecurity (vying for alpha bitch tbh is vet claptrap that most behaviourists have moved on from now) and she may be absolutely fine with a single gent and not have to be put into situations she feels uncomfortable.

She may not - but we don't know and it's upto whoever chooses to take this dog on to find out if she would suit them.

why dont you pts if shes agressive?

Oh for goodness sake! How very helpful of you.