Gluten free recipes

Some tips:

1. For baking, you'll get the best results if you add a teaspoon of xanthan gum to the gluten free flour mix. I use the Dove Farm flour which is sold in most supermarkets and comes in plain or self raising, and the xanthan gum is also sold in supermarkets. ) Without it, the GF flour seems to give cakes etc a powdery texture that isn't very nice, but the xanthan gum makes it impossible to tell that something was made with GF flour. I just make non-GF cake recipes and substitute the flour for GF flour - you can't tell the difference at all!...

Thanks for the tips rosaespanola - this is probably a silly question, but would you also recommend using the xanthan gum for making pastry? I'm used to buying ready rolled :hihi:

Also, a recipe for Nigella's clementine cake, which I think is the one people were referring to above - I spread chocolate on the top and it tastes exactly like eating a jaffa cake!

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clementine-cake-2483

I made it recently for my cousin's daughter, who is coeliac and so sensitive to gluten that they can't even have anything with gluten in the house in case it accidentally touches something she eats, and she was so ridiculously happy to have a really tasty cake that was GF without having to have anything special done to it. It makes her really sad to have to have her own separate things to everyone else, it's like a constant reminder that she's different and not as healthy as other people.

Thanks for the tips rosaespanola - this is probably a silly question, but would you also recommend using the xanthan gum for making pastry? I'm used to buying ready rolled :hihi:

Not a silly question at all! I've never yet managed GF pastry successfully, even with xanthan gum - it does make it a bit easier, but it's still far too crumbly to roll. I tend to just press it into the base of pie tins and things rather than rolling it out, it's not ideal and you obviously can't make pasties or anything like that, but it's better than nothing.

As for soups... erm.. you're pretty much stuck with tomato, though i did recently find a couple of tesco cartoned fresh soups in chicken flavour that I could eat :)xx

I think most of the fresh soups in cartons are GF (unless they've got pasta or something in them, obviously!). The New Covent Garden ones are particularly fantastic, here's a link to lists of their soups which are suitable for special diets http://www.newcoventgardenfood.com/site/special_diet.asp

They're fairly expensive but supermarkets often have them on special offer so I keep a look out for them and then buy a load, they freeze well so I just keep them in the freezer and take them out when I need them.

My friend is gluten free and when she is coming round I make pastry with Dove Farm flour it can be harder than other wheat flour pastry so add an egg to it. To roll it out use 2 sheets of greaseproof paper as it crack's easily. Dove Farm works well as a substitute for flour in soups and is better than flour for making REAL gravy.

I think most of the fresh soups in cartons are GF (unless they've got pasta or something in them, obviously!). The New Covent Garden ones are particularly fantastic, here's a link to lists of their soups which are suitable for special diets http://www.newcoventgardenfood.com/site/special_diet.asp

They're fairly expensive but supermarkets often have them on special offer so I keep a look out for them and then buy a load, they freeze well so I just keep them in the freezer and take them out when I need them.

Great - my favourite is their ham and pea soup and I see it is on the list! :)

Not a silly question at all! I've never yet managed GF pastry successfully, even with xanthan gum - it does make it a bit easier, but it's still far too crumbly to roll. I tend to just press it into the base of pie tins and things rather than rolling it out, it's not ideal and you obviously can't make pasties or anything like that, but it's better than nothing.

I actually tried it yesterday without the xanthan gum as I didn't have any in and it worked (sort of). I rolled it between 2 pieces of clingfilm, but I had to add a bit more water than the recipe on the pack said (200g flour, 100g butter, 4 tbsp water) for it not to be one big crumble. It was a bit hard though, more like biscuit than shortcrust!

My friend is gluten free and when she is coming round I make pastry with Dove Farm flour it can be harder than other wheat flour pastry so add an egg to it. To roll it out use 2 sheets of greaseproof paper as it crack's easily. Dove Farm works well as a substitute for flour in soups and is better than flour for making REAL gravy.

Thanks for the tip - I used Dove Farm flour, and it was very biscuity so will try adding an egg next time :)

Just wondering if anyone has any info or experience of firms that offer Vegetarian gluten free produce? Perhaps ready meals.

My Mum has now to follow a gluten free diet and as she has other health issues, is not able to start cooking from scratch. She's found lots of sweet options, but we are short of simple savoury things. She's not keen on spices and garlic so that makes it difficult.

She LOVES pastry and most of all would fancy a quorn type of pie..... perhaps I'll have to make her one, but it would be great if she could be independent and get them when she's shopping.

She's eating mostly omelettes and jacket potatoes so different ideas would be welcome! It is a challenge as she's not keen on pasta and rice. :S

Nearly 2 years GF and I'm still just as lazy :hihi: I'm still buying ready made stuff mainly, but am going to start making a bigger effort to make more things myself.

just found out that warburtons have started doing gluten free bread,had some at the weekend and it was scrummy.

Just a bump to this thread, my efforts have dwindled recently so I need to get back on the straight and narrow!