Gluten free recipes

I am struggling with recipe's, most sauces have gluten in them.

I am living on gluten free pasta, rice and chicken so far!

:help:

well, what sort of meals do you like? There are probably ways of making most things gluten free

There isn't much I won't try once.

Not a fan of spices really but thats about it

hmmm, not sure I know of any really good recipes then - can't you make normal sauces with gluten free flour?

And most tomato based things would be fine I guess, goulash, chilli, bolognese...

Sorry never resally looked at gluten free recipes as such, but I am quite good at working out how to make a certain thing without something - if you get what I mean!

I am going to try some sauces from scratch and see how it goes.

Soups are my biggest upset - they all have flour in!

I am going to try some sauces from scratch and see how it goes.

Soups are my biggest upset - they all have flour in!

Ah, well that I can help with!

I know you will struggle without paying through the nose for premade sauces and soups and things.

Hwoever if you make a lentil based, potato based or bean based soup they will virtually self thicken.

If you make a soup with beans in you can just crush up some of the beans at the end of the cooking time and they will thicken the soup up.

Also I find that alot of home made soups in general are thick enough without adding flours to thicken it.

Delia has alot of soup recipes online if you google for them.

Is corn flour gluten free?

I can't have Barley Wheat or Rye - so anything else is fair game.

I've never been one for making things myself so its a big shock to me!

Don't be afraid of flours in general. There are lots of gluten-free varieties out there to experiment with. :)

Rice flour, gram flour, and cornflour are all gluten-free and don't require any trips to specialty shops.

You might have a look around this site for recipes and gluten-free ingredients lists:

http://www.wheat-free.org/

for general cooking, as I understand it you can just replace the flour in the recipe with a gluten free varient.

I'm not sure I'd want to use rice flour, corn flour or gram flour in large quantities for desserts and the like though. There are gluten free 'normal' flours out there, but again I'm not certain how well they work for baking.

Gram flour can be used for things like baking, while rice flour and cornflour are best used as thickening agents.

I will have to look into these, and try them all out. Only way to know for sure is to have a go I guess!