I will be boycotting Netheredge Sainsburys!

I went in to Sainsburys, netheredge, yesterday evening on the way back from watching a film with a friend. I had some nice salmon fillets at home so we popped in to get some veg and a bottle of wine. My friend went to get the wine while I got some broccoli.

When I reached the checkout my friend told me she'd been asked for ID but had none on her, so i took the wine and tried to pay for both items. I was told that I couldn't buy the wine as I might be buying for a minor.

Now then. Reality check: My friend is 27 and I am 37. Is this not beaurocracy gone mad? Even worse, the girl who refused to serve us couldn't have been older than 19 or 20!

I must admit I got a little hot under the collar and asked to speak to the manager. The deputy manager arrived (who was no older than early to mid twenties) and started spouting management speak (I'm sorry that you feel that way sir but our policy....blah blah blah) Come on guys - let's use a bit of common sense.

I walked out without purchasing anything and went to pops, which is where I will be shopping in future. They are nice people and run a local business that must lose a lot to Sainsburys. I urge everyone in Netheredge to use pops!

sucks mate but that poor checkout lass would've gotten a fine of £1000 had she sold it to a minor...obviously i get that you and your mate weren't which boils down to....welcome to a corporate compensation world.

She'd have got a right bollocking off her boss had she NOT followed these ridiculous pricedures as they have these "challenge 25" things eveywhere now...

either way...who doesn't carry ID around with them these days? i always have my driving license counterpart with me just to save the embarrassment of getting turned away fromt a bar...

You will find that what you encountered is pretty much standard practice for any place selling alcohol.

The cashier risks a substantial fine if she is caught selling alcohol to an underage drinker, which is why they tend to err on the side of caution when age checking. Your friend should feel flattered that she still has her youthful looks.

either way...who doesn't carry ID around with them these days? i always have my driving license counterpart with me just to save the embarrassment of getting turned away fromt a bar...

I don't carry ID

I'd be quite flattered if someone genuinely thought I looked under 25 :)

I'm 34 and get asked for ID every now and again. Not worth getting cross about...

i'm 28 and get ID'd every time i go to a shop to buy cigs or wine! its got to a point now that when i go to morrisons to do my shopping i have my driving license ready to show the assistant. every time i get 'you should take it as a compliment' from the assistant. its sooo frustrating but i understand they have a job to do.

what is annoying is that when im old i'll be getting it all over again when im trying to get on a bus for OAP rate ... cos no doubt i will STILL look about 12!!!

i even once got id'd for buying petrol!!!!!!!!!!!! just shook my car keys at them and smiled :)

Edited by Michie

i'm 28 and get ID'd every time i go to a shop to buy cigs or wine!

maybe you should take it as a hint that you shouldn't be drinking or smoking

I use that Sainsurys. There is a big sign in that Sainsburys saying CHALLENGE 25: PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED IF YOU ARE ASKED FOR ID WHEN PURCHASING AGE RESTRICTED PRODUCTS.

I dont see what relevence it is how old the staff are. Their policy is clearly displayed. If you think you might be offended if they ask you for id you should shop elsewhere :)

maybe you should take it as a hint that you shouldn't be drinking or smoking

mum, is that you??? i didn't realise you were on sheff forum!!!!!!!

mum, is that you??? I didn't realise you were on sheff forum!!!!!!!

rofl

sucks mate but that poor checkout lass would've gotten a fine of £1000 had she sold it to a minor...obviously i get that you and your mate weren't which boils down to....welcome to a corporate compensation world.

She'd have got a right bollocking off her boss had she NOT followed these ridiculous pricedures as they have these "challenge 25" things eveywhere now...

Why should you carry ID round when your 27?? As not everyone has a driving license and a passport to carry around anyway.

If you search for other threads on this forum, it seems to be happening a lot lately. I was asked for ID when trying to buy a packet if tobacco for my partner about a year ago in Asda at Handsworth, but I had none. So I had to ask my mum to get it!!! I'm 26 lol

It's not the shop assistant's fault though, as I believe they get a fine personally as well as the shop.

What this under 25 policy does is to impose a blanket rule to be applied in any situation. No ifs, no buts, no exceptions. In theory this should reduce the possibilty of alcohol being served to minors (although those businesses that serve minors continue to do so regardless). OK

But the other effect of this policy is to remove the possibility of staff using their judgement. In effect it takes common sense out of the equation.

As I said I am 37 and my friend is 27; we were buying a bottle of wine and some broccoli on a sunday evening. Hardly teenage behaviour. It's a no-brainer. A little application of common sense would have sufficed to realise it was ridiculous.

I understand that the staff are merely following Sainsburys policy, which is another good reason to shop at small local businesses where the application of common sense is still allowed.

Edited by JonW
typo